Purified or Distilled Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better for mixing with engine coolant? I've been using purified water for mixing with coolant the last couple of years and have had no problems; however, distilled water is still available for an extra $.50 a gallon.
21.gif

Distilled water would be better. Purified water still contains minerals that shouldn't be in the cooling system. Some of them even add minerals for taste and preservatives. It's not going to end the life of your car by having it in there, but I would use distilled water from now on.

Distilled water has almost zero minerals in it and is very close to 100% pure water. Using it may help remove any minerals that have accumulated in the system from purified water. If you can flush the system, great, I would at least try to drain it as much as possible, as in opening any block drains it may have, replacing the thermostat, draining the water pump housing if possible, etc.

Again, purified water is probably not going to kill your engine, but every tutorial and manual I've read always states to use distilled water because it contains almost no minerals.

Hope that helps.

John

Technically 100% H20 from distillation would be best. How is the other water "purified"? Does it have minerals added back for taste.

I have read some pure bunk on the net about using pure H20 mixed with coolant....stuff like the H20 doesn't have "enough" minerals and it will eat your engine.....which may have some validity if it weren't mixed with coolant!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Which is better for mixing with engine coolant? I've been using purified water for mixing with coolant the last couple of years and have had no problems; however, distilled water is still available for an extra $.50 a gallon.
21.gif

You want to use distilled water. Steam distillation essentially separates the H2O molecules from everything else in the water and will typically test at zero ppm for minerals. Therefore, you have nothing left to form unwanted deposits in your radiator and coolant passages. Water "purification" through reverse osmosis and/or carbon filtration is intended to remove organic contaminants and some inorganics such as lead in order to provide healthier drinking water. RO water will typically test at 10-20 ppm for minerals.

Use distilled water since it doesn't have any minerals in it as BerdV described above.

Distilled and Deionized if possible ....

Or buy a premixed (more expensive) that uses the above from the factory.

Metal builup from tap water is up for speculation.

I have used distilled water for 10 years and my radiator still looks brand new inside, and yes the radiator is 10 years old, the radiator before had water from the hose and it built up deposits.

Quote:
I have read some pure bunk on the net about using pure H20 mixed with coolant....stuff like the H20 doesn't have "enough" minerals and it will eat your engine.....which may have some validity if it weren't mixed with coolant!

If you used JUST deionized water it would be unwise. It eats lots of stuff (hmm ..in Gary integration speak - sorta like a anti-free radical ..or siren of Titan for ions that can be liberated) Kestas (awhile back) reminded me that it was being mixed with coolant.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
If you used JUST deionized water it would be unwise. It eats lots of stuff

It eats for example copper. Some coolant systems contain copper components.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Distilled water would be better. Purified water still contains minerals that shouldn't be in the cooling system. Some of them even add minerals for taste and preservatives.

Are you referring to purified water or drinking water? They have 3 different bottles at the grocery store: Drinking Water, Purified Water, Distilled Water.

Hmmm...I have 3 kinds too (of basic "water").

Spring
Distilled
Purified

For all I know purified can come from my waste treatment plant.

Quote:
For all I know purified can come from my waste treatment plant.

Then urine* trouble.

* alternative, phonetic spelling

Originally Posted By: moribundman
It eats for example copper. Some coolant systems contain copper components.

We use demineralised water in a lot of systems at work.

It's interesting to see where pure water drips, as it eats the cement out of the concrete.

In the high pressure and temperature steel areas, Ammonia is added to scavenge oxygen, change the pH, and ensure a magnetite is formed.

In the low temperature copper areas, the water is pure and additive free. The oxygen content has to be controlled carefully. Next to no Oxygen is good, a little bit is really bad, and a little more is once again good...we have controlled leaks (blowdown) to keep the O2 concentration above the bad point.

If you aren't using distilled water then just test it to make sure that it's ok...... (distilled water is only about 50 cents a gallon)

http://www.granlydiesel.dk/fileadmin/dok...Maintenance.htm

Section 9 - Water Quality Requirements

Cooling systems perform best with distilled or deionized water. If distilled or deionized water is not available, the quality of the water used must meet all the requirements listed below. Excessive levels of calcium and magnesium contribute to scaling problems, and excessive levels of chloride and sulfate cause cooling system corrosion. If water quality is unknown, it can be tested with the Fleetguard® Monitor C™ program or Water-Chek™ test strip. Water test results can also be obtained from local water utility departments. Test data must show the following elements, and the levels must not exceed the published limits for use in cooling systems.

Table 5 - Water Quality Requirements

Element Maximum Level Allowable
Calcium, Magnesium (Hardness) 170 ppm (as CaCO 3)
Chloride 40 ppm (as Cl)
Sulfate 100 ppm (as SO 4)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Distilled water would be better. Purified water still contains minerals that shouldn't be in the cooling system. Some of them even add minerals for taste and preservatives.

Are you referring to purified water or drinking water? They have 3 different bottles at the grocery store: Drinking Water, Purified Water, Distilled Water.
Distilled water is the answer to your OP. Period. We're talking about an extra .50 cents!

As if Prestone, Zerex and the others in descending order in prominence and quality are using distilled water themselves. Try to get THAT information out of them.

Where DOES their water come from?

I normally use RO water. Probably should switch to distilled. As a side note I use RO water in my batteries. The battery7 in my 01 Sentra is pushing 8 years old. My guess is that RO water is more than adequate for both applications.

Not gonna' fall on my sword arguing the point though.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

If you used JUST deionized water it would be unwise. It eats lots of stuff (hmm ..in Gary integration speak - sorta like a anti-free radical ..or siren of Titan for ions that can be liberated) Kestas (awhile back) reminded me that it was being mixed with coolant.

Distilled Water essentially = deionized water.

Distilled water is water that has been physically separated from the dissolved solids via distillation. Deionized water is water that has been chemically separated from the dissolved solids via ion-exchange ( a chemical process using cationic and anionic ion exchange resin). For the purposes of this thread, both methods produce water of virtually identical quality. The quality that we are after is the absence of scale forming salts (calcium and magnesium carbonates and sulfates for the most part).

Both distilled and deionized water are "aggressive" towards iron and calcium or magnesium bearing materials (in the presence of dissolved oxygen). Hence all the yap about these waters eating metals. However when either water is mixed with an inhibited glycol ('coolant'), the statement no longer applies.

Phil (former water treatment engineer)

While I'm thinking of it, the term "purified water" is ambiguous and doesn't mean anything. It's definition is established by the vendor applying it to his label. Whereas Distilled and Deionized are specific technical terms and they inherently establish a minimum level of water quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back