5W20 vs 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me is this question is a little remedial, but this is my first post on this forum and I need some answers about 20 wt oil.

First of all, I own two Toyota's and with their recent service bulletin, 20wt is now 'legal' and will not void a warranty.

But, I am flounding between 5w20 and 0w20. I was told on another forum and the 0w20 had less film strenth than the 5w20. But then I was also told that the 0w20 was a better oil and surpassed the 5w20 in just about all catagories.

Living in a potentially cold climate and wanting the tiny bit of added fuel economy of 0w over 5w.....I would prefer the 0w20.

Can someone educate me?

A 0w-20 oil is almost always a full synthetic, while most common 5w-20's that are priced in the $2 to $4 range are probably blends. At my Toyota dealer 5w-20 Toyota brand is $3.20 and the 0w-20 was priced as PRICY, no number given. I have heard that is is priced up to $8 on forums. My plans are to use Pennzoil YB 5w-20 till I switch to syn later. Most brand name 5w-20 have pur points down the mid -30'sF. Have some syn to use, but will wait till at least the 5K mark to use them.

I have a trip this week in my new Tocoma this week which will put me at about 2K, and feel it is a good time to get rid of the factory fill. I wonder if this is a blend or the full syn(0w-20) as that is what the cap recommends?

I have been researching this myself. From what I have read and heard from speaking with both Pennzoil and Mobil was that 0W-20 is superior to 5W-20 in all new car applications that call for a 5W-20 fill. The problem comes in where a mfg hasn't back spec to a 0W-20 from a 5W-20 (could cause warranty issues if there is an oil related failure).

One other side note is the 0W-xx oils will find a way out of an engine if there is even a very slight leak, and is not recommended for older engines where a 5W-xx or 10W-xx was originally recommended.

HTH,
Frank D

the 5w20 is well 5 thicker lol. On a serious note, I changed out the 5w20 MC in my 07 Mustang GT for M1 0w20 and have been very pleased with it so far.

Last edited:
Help me understand something.....

If there is such a concern about 0W20 oil and its ability to fully protect an engine, why are people getting better gas mileage with this oil.

In my mind, better mileage requires two things....a thinner oil that is easer to pump and move around....and an oil that has excellent lube properties.

If a 0W20 oil is creating a situation where there is more 'wear'.....doesn't wear equal friction and friction equal less effeciency....ie...lower mileage?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
First of all, I own two Toyota's and with their recent service bulletin, 20wt is now 'legal' and will not void a warranty.

Well, I'm sure you know that some Toyota models have had 20-weight oil listed in their manuals for the past couple years. And the manuals for those cars list both 5w-20 and 0w-20 as acceptable.

But what TSB (technical service bulletin) are you referring to when you say "....with their recent service bulletin, 20wt is now 'legal' and will not void a warranty."

I'm confused because 20 weight has been 'legal' a long time now--and listed in the manuals. Are you saying you saw a Toyota TSB that said your car could use both 20-weight and 30-weight?

Last edited:
I've used the 0w oils in my Mazda with great results. I found the Mobil 1 0w20 to be better for my Duratec than the 5w20 formula. Engine seemed to run smoother.

The Xw rating means nothing about the physical viscosity, it only means that it passed a cold crank test. 0w-20 will replace 5w-20 oils without any issues. Currently running 1 gallon of Amsoil 0w-20 with 1 quart of Amsoil Series 3000 and it runs just as good as ever.

I mentioned once that the 2006 Hyundai Sonata's manual lists both 5w-*30* and 5w-*20* oil for its engine, but I don't think Toyota would do that. The 20 and 30 weight oils are also written on the 2006 Sonata's oil filler cap.

The most the '08 Toyota Camry manual does is list both 5w-20 and 0w-20 as useable in the engine--both 20 weights.

That's why I'm kinda curious about the TSB you saw.

Last edited:
Hey Eric u have mazda 2.3L ? how many KMs im planning to switch my 3 with 90K on it to 0w20 now im running 5w20 Amsoil

Pardon me is this question is a little remedial, but this is my first post on this forum and I need some answers about 20 wt oil.

But, I am flounding between 5w20 and 0w20. I was told on another forum and the 0w20 had less film strenth than the 5w20. But then I was also told that the 0w20 was a better oil and surpassed the 5w20 in just about all catagories.

Living in a potentially cold climate and wanting the tiny bit of added fuel economy of 0w over 5w.....I would prefer the 0w20.

Can someone educate me?

no difference between the two other the the 0W will be able to gflow better at colder temperatures. Both are 20 weights at operating temperatures.

If you like synthetics get the 0W20 and you will be a happy camper. If you do not like synthetics or more tot he point do not wish to pay the higher price for them get a 5W20. Most 5W20's are partialy synthetic wich is one of the reasons why they have done so well in general. They also have a beefier additive package then most 5W30's! IF you should decide to go 0W20 you would be hard pressed to find a better product at any cost for your Toyota's then M1 0W20! If you decied to go 5W20 Havoline 5W20,MotorCraft 5W20 and Penzoil 5W20 have all done really well in the UOA section!!

Ok....so by recent bulletin, I am referring to 2006. Here it is.

Toyota Service Bulletin

By the way, I have now added 0W20 in my daughter's T-Yaris and my wife's T-4Runner. Both vehicle's engines are running really smooth, seem to have a little more get-up-and-go and their mileage jumped very noticable. I am an Amsoil fan, but with both cars under warranty, I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic, purchased from WalMart for 5.97 a quart. I am very pleased with the M1 0W20, and will stick with it.

Ok....so by recent bulletin, I am referring to 2006. Here it is.

Toyota Service Bulletin

By the way, I have now added 0W20 in my daughter's T-Yaris and my wife's T-4Runner. Both vehicle's engines are running really smooth, seem to have a little more get-up-and-go and their mileage jumped very noticable. I am an Amsoil fan, but with both cars under warranty, I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic, purchased from WalMart for 5.97 a quart. I am very pleased with the M1 0W20, and will stick with it.

If the MPG "jumped very noticable", then it was because of something else, other then the oil. Even Mobil claims the increase in MPG is 1% to 2%, which should not be "very noticable". I hear these claims of big jumps in MPG when using 0W oils all the time, but in every case, the reason is something else, or a miscalculation by the drivers, or sloppy and/or uncontrolled testing.

I believe synthetic 0W oils do promote higher MPG, but never a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back