Differential Oil in 4x4 transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newby with question. Vehicle is 99 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4x4; M1 synthetic 75-90 differential oil was used in place of 10-40 automotive motor oil in transfer case. Drained and flushed after mistake discovered. I don't think the transfer case was engaged in 4 low during period the M1 was in the transfer case. Any Advice?

Originally Posted By: AxleRod
Newby with question. Vehicle is 99 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4x4; M1 synthetic 75-90 differential oil was used in place of 10-40 automotive motor oil in transfer case. Drained and flushed after mistake discovered. I don't think the transfer case was engaged in 4 low during period the M1 was in the transfer case. Any Advice?

welcome2.gif

It does not matter if the transfer case was or was not placed in 4 low as all the gears/chains are spinning or covered in the fluid.

With that out of the way, don't worry about the mix up. You get the correct fluid in there now and all is ok.

The Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good. Much better oils I've found for transmissions and transfer cases over the years.

take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good.
Bill, upon what evidence do you base this statement? In the Amsoil gear lube white paper, Mobil 1 75W-90 placed second overall. Mobil 1 75W-140 is the factory fill on all new Toyota Tundra and Sequoia rear differentials and has been for years (I work for Toyota). Mobil Delvac synthetic 75W-90 and 80W-140 is the factory fill on all Eaton transmissions and rear ends that are spec'd with synthetic gear oil and thus come with a 750,000 mile warranty with first OC requirement at 500,000 miles. Etc., etc.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Is that why your 2005 Sequoia is full of Redline products?
grin2.gif

I happen to believe that Redline, Mobil 1, and Amsoil all make excellent products. My Sequoia is a personal experiment to try and tease out fact from fiction regarding the various Redline controversies. From 5k until the end of its useful life, I intend to run Redline products exclusively and see what results I obtain.

Originally Posted By: BerndV
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good.
Bill, upon what evidence do you base this statement? In the Amsoil gear lube white paper, Mobil 1 75W-90 placed second overall. Mobil 1 75W-140 is the factory fill on all new Toyota Tundra and Sequoia rear differentials and has been for years (I work for Toyota). Mobil Delvac synthetic 75W-90 and 80W-140 is the factory fill on all Eaton transmissions and rear ends that are spec'd with synthetic gear oil and thus come with a 750,000 mile warranty with first OC requirement at 500,000 miles. Etc., etc.

I posted in the past about Mobil 1 in transmissions and transfer cases.

75w-140 and Delvac is a different oil than 75-90 Mobil 1. A LOT different.

Apples and oil difference.

Mobil 1 is ok in diffs. But for a transmission oil or transfer case oil there are better products out there for same to less $$.

Also just because its factory fill in this car or that truck does NOTHING for me. All it shows that Marketing is working.

Bill, I happen to agree that M1 gear oil is not particularly well suited to MT and transfer case applications due to it's limited slip friction modifier content. I merely took issue with your assertion that "Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good".

Originally Posted By: BerndV
Bill, I happen to agree that M1 gear oil is not particularly well suited to MT and transfer case applications due to it's limited slip friction modifier content. I merely took issue with your assertion that "Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good".

No problem. But I did say above;

Quote:
The Mobil 1 gear lube is not really that good. Much better oils I've found for transmissions and transfer cases over the years.

cheers3.gif

In fact, I received a PM from a member asking about Mobil 1 in his diffs and I told him its a good lube for that. Keep it in.
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back