What oil for Road Star?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob,
I just purchased a Road Star Silverado. Which oil should I use. I still have plenty of 10w-40 that I was using in my V*1300. Also, which K&N oil filter fits the Road*?

not too familiar with the bike, if it calls for 10w40 you can use any passenger car 10w40 and be good for probably 2000-3000 miles intervals.

Any moto-specific 10w40 will do great, the moto specific oils generally have higher flash points, more shear stable and pretty robust over the pcmo, and can generally go 5K plus intervals.

hdeo 15W40's are good in bikes and can go anywhere from 3K-8K. There is a uoa on here of an 8K rotella run that came back great

Originally Posted By: TomasLobos
Bob,
I just purchased a Road Star Silverado. Which oil should I use. I still have plenty of 10w-40 that I was using in my V*1300. Also, which K&N oil filter fits the Road*?

Use up your stash just change it out at 2500 to be sure you are not exceeding it's limits. Then go HDEO 15w40.

The Road Star is a 1,6xx cc air-cooled engine with a modified dry sump system. The oil tank is under the seat. Yamaha says 4.2 quarts fill for an oil change w/filter but most of us have found it to be much closer to 5 quarts.

Same (aftermarket) filter for V Star 1300 and Road Star. OEM V Star 1300 filter is a little short fella - different from Road Star filter but aftermarket are the same.

BOSCH 3300
KN-303
NAPA GOLD 1358
Purolator ML16817 or PL14610 or PL14612 or L14610 or L14612
WIX 51358
and many others...........

or just go here

One_of_many_Road_Star_Forums

Last edited:
I use Amsoil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil and Amsoil Filter in my '03 Roadstar. I trust it to protect in the heat of summer and provides easy starts in the Kansas winters. Watch the oil fill amount, though. Go with 4.0 Qts. and no more. Go to the Roadstar Forums for more info on that.

You may be ok with 10-40 in West Virginia but not here in Texas.
I've read somewhere that the R* transmissions or maybe it was just motor/tranny combos really wreak havoc on the oil viscosity reducing the viscosity for example a 40wt. oil to 30wt. oil in less than a few hundred miles.
I too was running mobile 1 10-40 for a while but on my 200 mile (all at one time) runs I didnt like what I was hearing after getting off the bike. The bike was riden at about 65 or 70 miles per hour for 3 hrs. and was quite noisy at the end of the trips. This was in the middle of the Texas/Arkansas summer.
I've since switched to Shell Rotella 15-40 and the (excessive lash)noises are gone. I think the package of the Rotella may be better for the Roadie but that's just a seat of the pants statement. I run the Puralator Pure One Oil Filter PL14610. It took me a while to get my roadie jetted correctly but it is one fine running bike now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back