02 F150 4R70W ATF change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I recently posted that I've got 82K miles on my F150 and I haven't changed the trans fluid before.
I've got 14qts of Valvoline full syn Mercon V and a new filter for the 3.5 inch pan. Pan is stamped "comes with a reusable gasket".
When I drop the pan, should I expect to see 14 qts drain from the pan?
Is there an easy way to catch all 14 qts?
Should I attempt to drain the torque converter?
Where do I refill the trans fluid at? Under the hood where I check the level?

Thanks guys. Sorry so many questions.

I don't think your transmission has a torque converter drain plug...in which case you're going to get only about 4 quarts drained out, and that's it. You DO need 12-14 quarts if you are going to flush it out a transmission line...which is the best way to do it. You can use the old gasket, if it isn't damaged. You refill it through the tube the transmission dipstick goes in.

My advise would be drop the pan, change the filter, button it back up, and top off with new fluid. Then, take your fluid to a shop that has a fluid exchanger, and let them do the change with your fluid. As hot as it must be in Baton Rouge right now, the less time you have to spend crawling around under your truck and spilling hot ATF all over you, the better.

I don't quite understand why it won't all drain out when dropping the pan. So, dropping the pan and changing the filter, I'm only gonna need how many qts on average to "top it off."

Topping it off isn't exactly what I'm wanting to do. I guess a fluid exchanger is what I need done.

Dang, I thought I could do it all myself and replace all 14 qts of the ATF I just bought!

^^^what wavinwayne and Titan said^^^

Doing a pan-drop and filter change will only drain approx 4 quarts on a 4R70W. You need to either find a friendly local shop that will do the exchange using your fluid, as wavinwayne said, or do it yourself, which is actually very easy.

To address your other questions:

Yes, the pan gasket is designed to be re-used.

Ford eliminated the torque converter drain plug in '01.

You put the fluid in through the dipstick tube.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
How would a fluid exchange be possible without some sort of machine to pull the fluid out?

If you disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines while the truck is running, ATF will come pouring out. I've never done it, but some here have. I assume you'd have to drain & re-fill a few qt's at a time to avoid running the tranny dry. In doing, so, you'd be draining some of the new fluid in the process. Not what I'd want to do.

I bet you could get a shop to do the whole thing for under $100.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
How would a fluid exchange be possible without some sort of machine to pull the fluid out?

If you disconnect one of the transmission cooler lines while the truck is running, ATF will come pouring out. I've never done it, but some here have. I assume you'd have to drain & re-fill a few qt's at a time to avoid running the tranny dry. In doing, so, you'd be draining some of the new fluid in the process. Not what I'd want to do.

I bet you could get a shop to do the whole thing for under $100.

I did this on my vic. Pull them out and had a helper start it. Let it run until it started to spit a little then shut it off. Changed the filter (easy to drop the pan when its empty) and refilled with 5qts and ran it again until it spit.

Best bet:
1) Drain the ATF and drop the pan, replace filter, fill pan
2) Get some cheap hose to run from cooler lines to a measured bucket, start engine run in 2 QTs
3) Refill with 2 QTs
4) cycle over until you see a change in fluid color or until you have gone through the total capacity + 1 QT.

Have a beer

Most shops that do a flush do NOT drain the pan first. You need to drain the pan first if you want the least mixing of old and new fluid. You do not need to drop the pan to replace the filter if tranny has been maintained.

I believe I have the 4R70W transmission in my Grand Marquis, and here is what I did:

1. Removed return cooler line
2. Pumped out 3.5 quarts (that was when the flow made a drop in rate, and the pan had a very small amount of ATF in it)
3. Added 1 gallon of Super Tech ATF
4. Pumped out 1 gallon of ATF
5. Repeate steps 3 and 4 once more
6. Dropped the pan, cleaned it, replaced the filter, reinstalled the pan.
7. Added 6 quarts of Amsoil ATF
8. Pumped out 1 gallon (approximately 2 quarts left in the pan)
9. Added 1 gallon of Amsoil ATF
10. Pumped out 1 gallon (approximately 2 quarts left in the pan)
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 once more.
12. Re-connect the return cooler line
13. Added 1.5 quarts of Amsoil ATF (approximately 3.5 quarts in the pan, which is a rough estimate as to how much my pan holds)
14. Drive around for at least 10 miles and add fluid as needed

Your pan, and total transmission fluid, may differ, but mine is roughly 14 quarts, and I used 15.5 quarts for the full flush. I use cheap ATF to dilute old contaminated fluid before introducing Amsoil ATF.

When you disconect the cooler line, you will have to see which way the fluid is flowing, then either attach a piece of hose or aim the hose to a container that can measure your total capacity pumped out. I always disconnect the cooler line and pump the pan out til it sputters BEFORE dropping the pan to clean it and change the filter. This sure makes taking the pan down a whole lot easier with almost no fluid in it. The I go back immediately with the new fluid and add 4-6 quarts depending on the transmission. I pump it out by starting the engine and stop when it begins to sputter. I keep track of how much new stuff I'm putting in and usually have to use about a qt or 2 more than the listed capacity to get the fluid a nice new color. Sometimes I run it slowly through the gears while pumping it out to try and put as much new fluid throughout the unit during this process. I guess I'm getting better than 95% changeout, at least I hope. The last 4R70w's I did used around 16 qts to flush out/refill.

I'm guessing the $112 service mentioned above did not include changing the filter or cleaning the magnet, etc. I have also gotten into the habit to retorque all the valve body bolts on all Ford units to 110-115 in lbs. This is what my local builder recommends due to crossleaks that can cause shifting issues and shudder. I've found some very loose ones!

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
I believe I have the 4R70W transmission in my Grand Marquis, and here is what I did:

1. Removed return cooler line
2. Pumped out 3.5 quarts (that was when the flow made a drop in rate, and the pan had a very small amount of ATF in it)
3. Added 1 gallon of Super Tech ATF
4. Pumped out 1 gallon of ATF
5. Repeate steps 3 and 4 once more
6. Dropped the pan, cleaned it, replaced the filter, reinstalled the pan.
7. Added 6 quarts of Amsoil ATF
8. Pumped out 1 gallon (approximately 2 quarts left in the pan)
9. Added 1 gallon of Amsoil ATF
10. Pumped out 1 gallon (approximately 2 quarts left in the pan)
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 once more.
12. Re-connect the return cooler line
13. Added 1.5 quarts of Amsoil ATF (approximately 3.5 quarts in the pan, which is a rough estimate as to how much my pan holds)
14. Drive around for at least 10 miles and add fluid as needed

Your pan, and total transmission fluid, may differ, but mine is roughly 14 quarts, and I used 15.5 quarts for the full flush. I use cheap ATF to dilute old contaminated fluid before introducing Amsoil ATF.

If you drain the pan and refill before you start the cooling line flush how much mixing of old and new ATF will there be? If you add some Supertech ATF to first flush out the old ATF then go with Amsoil ATF (great stuff) I am not sure you know when you are flushing out Supertech vs Amsoil out the cooer line.

Donald,
I put the Super Tech ATF through first because I finished an Auto-RX run, and wanted to dilute the contaminants as much as possible. Then after pumping out the 2nd gallon of it, the pan was nearly empty. I was attempting to drain the torque converter via the drain plug, but I could not get it to line up with the dust cover, so I went with the method of pumping out 1 gallon at a time.

I'm sure I began to pump out some Amsoil ATF by the time I finished, but that's ok, I had two 2.5 gallon jugs to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back