2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 - Amsoil 5w-30 4,292 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L
Lab: Oil Analyzer's Inc.
Oil: Amsoil 5w-30
Oil Filter: EAO13
Sump Capacity: 2.9 quarts (I added all 3 quarts)
Oil Miles/Time: 4,292 miles/1.5 years
Total Miles: 31792

No make up oil added, no filter changes.
Oil was changed.

Iron - 6
Chromium - 1
Lead - 92
Copper - 9
Tin - 2
Aluminum - 7
Nickel - 0
Silver - 0
Manganese - 0
Silicon - 30
Boron - 321
Sodium - 0
Magnesium - 0
Clacium - 3572
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 746
Zinc - 864
Molybdenum - 49
Titanium - 0
Vanadium - 0
Cadmium - 0

Glycol - 0
Water - < .05%
Fuel - < 1%
Visocity 100 C - 10.3
Oxidation - 3.3%
Nitration - 18.6%
TBN - 10.8

Fuel additives - FP3000 at recommended dosage.

This was the first Amsoil oil change on my wife's Nissan Sentra. I purchased this 5w-30 in July of 2006, which was around the time for the SM re-formulation. It was using the older Amsoil packaging, but I was informed that Amsoil will use up all old labels even when the formulation has changed. So based on that, the viscosity barely changed if it was the SM formula.

As with my car's UOA's, and previous UOA's of this engine, lead is high, most likely due to fuel. Silicon was the only issue OAI saw, and I will be checking the air filter housing. It has an EA air filter installed, which is not dirty, but is in need of being serviced, as it's been 1.5 years since I installed it.

I replaced the spark plugs about halfway through the OCI. Other than that, and a belt replacement, no engine work was done. The oil in there now is the oil from the same 6 quart batch I purchased back in 2006. Overall I feel this analysis is rather good, given the lead is coming from lead contaminated fuel.

All comments are welcome.

since these engines are known as headgasket eaters, have you replaced the headgasket before? Crucial to know what Potassium is, you can have a coolant in the oil, but antifreeze test would be negative. My dad is on his 2nd headgasket replacement in five years on his 1.8 Sentra .

I'm aware of these being headgasket eaters, and I've kept up with your posts about how Nissan is worthless at assisting with fixing your dad's. With sodium at 0, viscosity in spec, and no water found, coolant in the oil is not appearing like it's a concern now. I understand what you're saying, and I intend to keep UOAs on this engine.

By the way I'm using Amsoil coolant, which won't fix a faulty engine design, but it will be better in the event that it does leak into the engine, since it's propylene glycol based.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
With sodium at 0, viscosity in spec, and no water found, coolant in the oil is not appearing like it's a concern now. I understand what you're saying, and I intend to keep UOAs on this engine.

Yea, I agree. But on the other hand Bearing wear...92?????// And silicon high. Those are things that exist with HG leaks.

But again..I do agree with you. People on the Sentra Board where I post get upset at me when I mention the Boogyman HG issue. Glad you are on top of it.

Originally Posted By: Al
With sodium at 0, viscosity in spec, and no water found, coolant in the oil is not appearing like it's a concern now. I understand what you're saying, and I intend to keep UOAs on this engine.

Yea, I agree. But on the other hand Bearing wear...92?????// And silicon high. Those are things that exist with HG leaks.

But again..I do agree with you. People on the Sentra Board where I post get upset at me when I mention the Boogyman HG issue. Glad you are on top of it.

Quote:
As with my car's UOA's, and previous UOA's of this engine, lead is high, most likely due to fuel. Silicon was the only issue OAI saw, and I will be checking the air filter housing. It has an EA air filter installed, which is not dirty, but is in need of being serviced, as it's been 1.5 years since I installed it.

I replaced the spark plugs about halfway through the OCI. Other than that, and a belt replacement, no engine work was done. The oil in there now is the oil from the same 6 quart batch I purchased back in 2006. Overall I feel this analysis is rather good, given the lead is coming from lead contaminated fuel.

I'm aware of these being headgasket eaters, and I've kept up with your posts about how Nissan is worthless at assisting with fixing your dad's. With sodium at 0, viscosity in spec, and no water found, coolant in the oil is not appearing like it's a concern now. I understand what you're saying, and I intend to keep UOAs on this engine.

By the way I'm using Amsoil coolant, which won't fix a faulty engine design, but it will be better in the event that it does leak into the engine, since it's propylene glycol based.

If your under warranty, you want the gasket to leak, so Nissan will fix it. My UOAs were negative for antifreeze, but sodium and potassium were elevated, the headgaskets were bad.

Last edited:
Quote:
The lead and aluminum are not good. I would show this analysis to the dealer.s.

Quote:

Silicon is, in my opinion, the reason for higher aluminum. I checked the intake housing and everything appears to be leak free. The filter looks like it's barely used, and the air filter housing is not dirty past the filter.

Thanks Pablo for pointing out what others haven't read.

By the way, the dealer wouldn't know what the f*** to do with this analysis. You should see how they explain why the gas gauge doesn't register the proper level when 3 gallons or less has used...

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
If your under warranty, you want the gasket to leak, so Nissan will fix it. My UOAs were negative for antifreeze, but sodium and potassium were elevated, the headgaskets were bad.

I'm wondering if the car already had one replaced. We got it at Carmax when it had 26,500 miles on it, even though that's low mileage, it's still a possibility. They didn't give us a carfax report, but I was told we should have. Perhaps I can give them a call and raise some s*** to find out.

How does Georgia get away with putting lead in fuel? I thought leaded fuel was banned everywhere, years (decades?) ago....I remeber my dad's 1978 Malibu gas gauge saying 'unleaded fuel ONLY'...

Just learned something. When I sent my sample off, it was a Blackstone bottle, but I contacted OAI and they gave me the address to send it to. It was tested at Amsoil's lab in Superior, not the standard OAI labs, which is the reason for no potassium reading.

I think Pabs will agree with me here (hopefully) but I don't care what/who type/brand coolant you are running ANY of it in the oil is not going to be good.

Everyone who I talked to (quite a few with my 2 HG problems on the Taurus) said ANY amount of ANY coolant is going to be bad on the bearings.

Just wanted to put that out.

Back to your UOA.. Man, with that high lead (in only 4k) I'd be concerned. (for possible wear or damage to the cats/O2 sensors if it is from the fuel)

Also where is the fuel getting lead in it and why?

Take care, Bill

I'd guess this engine is knocking in the Southern heat. Try scanning and running a higher octane fuel.

Never did I say that nothing bad would happen with a propylene glycol coolant getting into the engine. But it has been shown that propylene glycol coolant is not nearly as rough on the bearing as ethylene glycol coolant.

Quote:

I have no idea, I've contacted Murphy USA about it, but they claim it is not in there when it leaves their facilities. Perhaps I should send off a fuel sample, to determine if it has lead in it.

Never did I say that nothing bad would happen with a propylene glycol coolant getting into the engine. But it has been shown that propylene glycol coolant is not nearly as rough on the bearing as ethylene glycol coolant.

Quote:

I have no idea, I've contacted Murphy USA about it, but they claim it is not in there when it leaves their facilities. Perhaps I should send off a fuel sample, to determine if it has lead in it.

Again, I just wanted to let others (we get MANY people who come to this site for info and never post) see that ANY amount of ANY coolant is BAD for the engine.

Quote:
not nearly as rough
Not trying to argue... but again, any brand/type of coolant in the oil is rough.

I would think the EPA would be testing the fuel for lead.

Oh forgot... The Government is here to help us...
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back