Oil /Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I'm new to the site, and I was wondering what some of you thought about oil/fuel additives. What were some popular brands you would recommend, and more importantly...who do you see as STP's competitors? It seems Royal Purple and Lucas to me...but that is the only research I have done so far.

Thanks for your help

Jenn

welcome2.gif

You'll get a lot of varied responses depending on one's brand loyalty and preferences. Personally, I don't buy off the shelf additives. I use AutoRx exclusively and gas additives such as FP60, and Amsoil PI. Stay on this board and you'll learn a lot!

SEcond what carlprop said RE: off-da-shelf oil and gas additives.

While I do have(and used) LC in the past, I'm now a big fan of AutoRx even in my recently newly acquired fit.

Been a true follower since.

Q.

p.s. I do not believe in stoddard solvents such as OTC "10-min engine laxatives" either

Widely available stuff:

Techtron
Gumout Regaine
SeaFoam
MMO(Marvel Mystery Oil)
All are decent adds that work for mild fuel system problems.
Read the label and don't expect miracles.
If you change oil and filter at reasonable intervals,
oil additives usually aren't needed.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Jennifer
Hi there!
I'm new to the site, and I was wondering what some of you thought about oil/fuel additives. What were some popular brands you would recommend, and more importantly...who do you see as STP's competitors? It seems Royal Purple and Lucas to me...but that is the only research I have done so far.

Thanks for your help

Jenn

Welcome Jenn. I think you'll find that people on this forum have more experience with additives and information than you probably bargained for. If you tell us a little bit about your vehicle(s), mileage, mechanical condition, driving style, type of fuel used, oil brand used, and oil change interval, then the onslaught can begin. Once again, welcome to the BITOG forum.

Jack

I'd vote Gumout Regane as the best off the shelf fuel system cleaner, unless you can find the more rare Redline SI-1. As far as oil additives, I like auto-rx, which isn't off the shelf.

Thank goodness we are getting more women at this website! Welcome Jennifer!

The one product above all others that I would recommend based on my personal experience is Auto-RX. It does a fantastic job cleaning engines. There is an Auto-RX website.

I have been fairly impressed with Gumout Regane (in the clear bottle) for a fuel system cleaner. I also think that BG44K is a great fuel system cleaner although expensive.

I believe in Bars Leaks for preventing coolant system leaks.

I have some faith in BG products.

And I have had good expereince with Lubegard products (there is a website).

For motor oil I personally believe that Pennzoil Platinum is really good, and Pennzoil conventional is good. I also like Chevron, Halvoline, and for just doing an Auto-RX cleaning; Valvoline.

I don't have a lot of confidence in very many other oil and fuel supplements.

Engine Auto-Rx in BMW and Sube Outback and RX and occasional Militec 1 in old Mazda. Redline SI-1 or Techron in fuel and occasionally Lucas UCL when I remember in the Mazda.

Quote:
sprintman
Militec 1....Redline SI-1....Techron....Lucas UCL...

Mystic
BG44K.....

carlprop
FP60....

dwendt44
MMO(Marvel Mystery Oil)....

Im aware that auto rx, amsoil PI and gumout are cat converter safe so if anyone knows about any of these listed above then please mention if they are labeled as cat converter safe or not.

Actually, if in doubt and after checking their site still not sure and checking BITOG still not sure. Don't use it.

Fuel:
Cleaners: Redline, Regane, Techron Concentrate.
Other Adds: Fuel Power Plus, Fuel Power 60, Lucas UCL, MMO.

Oil:
Cleaner: AutoRX.
Anti Ox: LubeControl 20

Just say NO! to all oil additives. We cannot home-brew a better oil for a price point than the oil company chemists. If you want better oil, buy better oil.

I don't feel that Auto-Rx is an oil additive. You might say that LC20 is an additive, but it is a pain to add more every 1000 miles, so even though it makes the oil better, it'll never be put into retail oil.

For fuel additives, a few do work and are worth the price. I've never seen a problem from the lack of an upper cylinder lubricant, so I ignore those. A few like FP60 and FP Plus, and Schaeffer's Neutra and Soy Ultra, and a few others, do help keep the fuel system and combustion chamber near-new clean, and those are a help. These fuel additives that actually do some good can be mixed with really cheap junky gasoline like ARCO and give the same performance as full priced gas for lower total cost.

Jennifer,
My fuel favorites are:
Fuel power ( mixed with Nuetra)
Scheaffer's Nuetra and Soy Power.
My oil favorites are:
Scheaffer's Moly
ARX
Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back