Rotella CJ-4 might not be holding up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running CJ-4 Rotella since it came on the market. Been doing more/less consistent UOAs right along. The truck is a 2004 Dodge CTD, and is mechanically sound.

My first let down was after lugging my camper and small trailer from PA to UT/CO/AZ and back. I thought the less than stellar UOA might have been from a failing injector/worn injectors, however now I'm not so sure. I had seen pulling temps on the pyro nearing 1300*F, sometimes spiking to over 1500*F.

My oil typically stays a clear black color if that makes an sense...the color is black, but it is still clear on the dipstick. After the UT trip, the oil was sludge-like and a UOA confirmed it was unlike any previous UOA (viscocity increased significantly). Again, I attributed that to the bad injector(s) and moderately heavy towing. Solids came back at 0.3%

Fast forward to this weekend...trip from Washington to PA (empty). Oil has approximately 12k on 3 gallons, and 3k on 1.5 gallons of makeup oil (and a UOA confirmed the oil was in excellent shape at around 9k miles)...I have a GulfCoast bypass. The oil was the typical clear black color leaving Washington. However, one stretch of road I ran nearly a constant 80mph and was pushing 3k RPM for well over 100 miles trying to distance some storms...during this time, I averaged exhaust temps nearing 1000*F. The very next stop for fuel indicated the oil had indeed suffered the same change in visual characteristics, sludge-like black...no longer clear.

The previous UOA indicated the SUS increased from a normal 75 to almost 83, and the cSt increased from a normal 14.4 to 16.2. Flashpoint also decreased from a typical 430-450 to 405, but fuel was only 0.5%. All but the fuel were flagged as abnormal, but I assumed bad injectors and heavy towing caused it. All wear metals were low/normal except lead at 9ppm (again, towing related) and the additive-metals were very similar to normal UOAs.

Any comments would be welcomed, I'm considering trying Royal Purple or Schaeffers the next OCI. I will probably run a UOA on this oil in a couple weeks, and dump it if the UOA indicates.

I should note, the wear metals have never been elevated in any UOA, other than for the towing (and even those were normal). I believe it is still protecting well, just not holding up well to heat.

I can see Pablo chiming in with his :2cents:...he just loves these types of posts.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
what is the soot%?

Insoluables are never above 0.4% (when I had a Amsoil EaBP, several OCIs ago)...the worst UOA is only 0.3% with the GulfCoast.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
I can see Pablo chiming in with his :2cents:...he just loves these types of posts.

Neither can you...
wink.gif

Amsoil isn't a consideration.

I'm going to send a sample of this oil to Blackstone in a couple weeks. See if it matches the past one...I'm betting it does. Again, the oil doesn't seem to cause a wear problem as indicated by my UOAs.

I might even give Rotella 5w40 a whirl and see how it holds up.

I agree with salesrep and your suggestion with the rotella syn. I hate to suggest this to you, but a grp 3 or full syn, might be a viable option. Sounds like the oil heated up and thickened which caused the extra wear. Nothing the gulf coast can take care of there. Please post the report when you get it.

Hi,
without more data I wonder how long you have run with pyrometer temps above 1000F?

At constant temps in this region a full blooded synthetic 5W-40 HDEO would be my choice (as it was in my DD equipped Class 8 fleet's engines)

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
I'd hope after your injector troubles that the oil is to blame and nothing else.

The engine is mechanically sound, the UOA between the bad one and now was fine.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
without more data I wonder how long you have run with pyrometer temps above 1000F?

At constant temps in this region a full blooded synthetic 5W-40 HDEO would be my choice (as it was in my DD equipped Class 8 fleet's engines)

As noted, around 100 miles continuous (just south of Minneapolis to Des Moines)...any other 1000* temps would have just been a couple WOT shifts, so not often. Keep in mind, this truck is supposed to be able to sustain 1500* continuously (pre-turbo).

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would guess too much gear or foot into the pedal 1500 is hot.

While 1500*F is hot, it is the indicated sustainable EGT stated by Cummins. And again, I was only holding around 1000*EGT during this trip. And its not like this truck is unique...I am one of a handful (in the realm of the total number of trucks on the road) that would actually have guages to know what EGTs are. I would assume others would see the same conditions, for a lot more miles, when towing their large RVs...

The truck is set up with 4.10s, I typically cruise 55mph...conditions Saturday dictated a sustained 80mph was required.

My problem is where the oil is picking up the heat, as there is is only a small portion of oil being pushed through the turbo. I would assume the heat might be happening in the head? That's the only place I could see that much heat, and a significant amount of oil, interacting.

As the load on an engine increases the heat also increases. The heat comes from the pistons that have oil sprayed on the bottom to take away some of the heat There is more heat in the head from the valves which are partially cooled by oil and with more load every thing has more heat that the oil touches . Doug H would be considered master in these situations.

buy better oil plenty of options.
rotella isn't the best available only the most popular.
I used to have those same issues, glad that isnt a issue anymore.
good luck with your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back