Convert Toro to variable throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway to convert the constant full engine speed to variable throttle.

Anybody try this. I like the option when going thru areas of the lawn that I might hit something in.

Not sure it's easily done. Look at the regulation mechanism - most use a spring and an flywheel blower airflow actuated vane. If somehow you could remotely reduce the spring tension, the engine would regulate at a lower speed.

I've not tried, but accidentally I went the other way once. I'd taken off the carb to clean junk out of it and put the little pushrod arm into a wrong hole on the throttle butterfly. I didn't realize that the thing was running way above the spec 3600 RPM until I engaged the self-propel mechanism and was nearly jogging to keep up with the silly thing! Glad it didn't blow up or throw the blade off...

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I will be looking at how to change it over at some point. I don't like the throttle control Police controlling my rpms.............

I too prefer being able to regulate the engine RPM for starting, transporting, etc... but for cutting grass, you get a better cut at max governed engine RPM. Especially if it's a mulch capable deck.

Joel

Good point. The 'full speed' carbs could cause a bent crank easier than being able to throttle down in rough spots.

I don't own one, but I'm thinking the carb may not have provisions for a throttle linkage. Only a linkage to the governor.

Joel

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Is the carb designed for only full throttle operation?

Designed in that it may not have provisions to actuate the throttle aside from the governor linkage. Other than that, a carb is a carb. It has an 'adjustable' throttle plate just like any other. In your mowers case, the only thing controlling throttle position is the governor. An older style carb would have another stub attached to the throttle shaft for variable throttle control (throttle lever).

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back