2002 v6 4x2 automatic ford escape: what atf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the manual states mercon. the transmission dipstick states mercon V. anyone know which is really correct? i mean which fluid was used at the factory?

also, anyone know how many qts will come of of the pan if i remove the drain plug? i believe i read somewhere almost 4qts, but was not sure.

Mercon V is back spec'd for Mercon usage now, Ford no longer licenses Mercon. By 2003, everything was basically Mercon V anyways so I think that is the stuff.

2002 Ford Escape Automatic Transmission Capacity.

Automatic Transmission, CD4E Initial Fill..........3.9 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill..........10.0 quarts

I used Maxlife Mercon/Dexron in my GF's 05 V-6 Mariner, for a simple Drain and Fill at 30K. It used 3.75 quarts to bring it close to the full line on the dipstick. Her dipstick said to use regular Mercon. But here's is the AWD tranny. Tranny shifts real nice since new. Wanted to keep it that way. The best part of her vehicle is the tranny's performance. Her owner's manual stated to do a Fluid change at 30K.

This is a big debate among escape owners. Many will tell you to only use Mercon and that Mercon V has led to tranny failure. There was a TSB for one of those model years where they scratched off the "V" on the dipstick so people would quit putting Mercon V in the Mercon spec'd escapes. Since then, Ford has said they will only license Mercon V. Go figure.

i just bought this vehicle used (33k miles). i assume it came with mercon from the factory since it was produced in 2001. however, since then i have no idea if the pan has been drained and re-filled with what? i assume mercon v since if the pan was drained, it was probably at 30K miles and that probably happened in the last year or so. seems like should just keep on putting 4qts of mercon v and get the thing almost completely mercon v. bad idea?

Use a good D3M fluid such as Mobil 1 ATF or Something like Amsoil ATF and I imagine things will be fine.

All the vehicles using straight Mercon are basically out of warranty now, so why does Ford care? Mercon V it is.

I believed the transmission failure issue was happening with the transmissions in Super Duty pickups and not Escapes though, not 100% on that. Use what the manual says.

alright folks, i re-read the manual. it states the transmission fluid is mercon WITH a footnote. the footnote says mercon and mercon v are NOT compatible and to use what is listed on the dipstick which in my case says mercon V - go figure.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Use a good D3M fluid such as Mobil 1 ATF or Something like Amsoil ATF and I imagine things will be fine.

All the vehicles using straight Mercon are basically out of warranty now, so why does Ford care? Mercon V it is.

I believed the transmission failure issue was happening with the transmissions in Super Duty pickups and not Escapes though, not 100% on that. Use what the manual says.

No. if you paruse the escape forums, many owners have experienced tranny failures (though 99.9% of them were V6 owners, not 4-bangers). They all blamed it on switching to merconv instead of mercon.

There was also a ford rep on the sight saying the orginal CD4E transmission was calibrated for Mercon and they didn't recalibrate for MerconV until like 2005 or 2006 models. Like I said, it is a hotly contested topic with escape owners of older models and there has definitely been reliability problems with the V6/ATX combination, but not the 4-cyl/ATX even though they use the same ATX.

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
alright folks, i re-read the manual. it states the transmission fluid is mercon WITH a footnote. the footnote says mercon and mercon v are NOT compatible and to use what is listed on the dipstick which in my case says mercon V - go figure.

You need to find out if your vehicle was one of the models in the Technical service bulletin where Ford had dealers scrape the "V" off of the dipstick.

I forgot to add, there have been a few different formulations of MerconV (motorcraft versions with different color bottles) that supposed got better with backwards compatibility than original MerconV. Odds are, you'll be fine either way.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: MGregoir

No. if you paruse the escape forums, many owners have experienced tranny failures (though 99.9% of them were V6 owners, not 4-bangers). They all blamed it on switching to merconv instead of mercon.

There was also a ford rep on the sight saying the orginal CD4E transmission was calibrated for Mercon and they didn't recalibrate for MerconV until like 2005 or 2006 models. Like I said, it is a hotly contested topic with escape owners of older models and there has definitely been reliability problems with the V6/ATX combination, but not the 4-cyl/ATX even though they use the same ATX.

Another perspective on this topic.

I frequent Escape Central. I'm a former Ford Service Manager/Shop Manager/Service Adviser/Technician. One of the more recent Ford shops I worked in (I wasn't the top manager in the service department) made the arbitrary decision that Mercon V went into everything serviced that was a 98 model or newer, and Mercon went into everything service that was built prior to 98. They built their pricing menus around that, and that is what the technicians followed as directed by the Service Director. I would like to emphasize that this was not my choice, as I would have followed service manual and technical publication recommendations with only rare exceptions.

What is significant though, is that we DID NOT experience transmission failure from using Mercon V. Of the hundreds or perhaps thousands of Escapes that received trans fluid exchanges, not one of them came back with trans problems. In fact Escape trans failures in general were RARE (much unlike my experience in a Honda dealership).

At Escape Central there was a Ford engineer that used to frequent the forum. This was in the early days of the Escape. She did in fact post that Ford did not recommend Mercon V for the Escape. I have the impression that either she knew that there were problems with the early Mercon V blendings or that she was being careful not to recommend something that had not been validated. Either way, there is one very frequent poster that picked up the anti-Mercon V mantra and has dogmatically run with it ever since. He and a few of his followers have chased off some posters that expressed that they were not having problems with Mercon V. They have also jumped on "Oh, you had a trans failure? It must have been from Mercon V".

If Escape transmissions were indeed dropping like flies due to swapping to Mercon V this fact would be all over. It isn't. It isn't even as strong of a topic at Escape Central as it once was.

i tried to create an account on escape central, no good. every user name, no matter how obscure (and basically impossible to be in use) says its in use. is that site still really up? i sent an email to the site admin - no response.

i was able to read the forums and seems like the latest "recommendation" is to never change your fluid. leave it in until 150K miles and let the tranny die a natural death. i don't like that advice and i want more than 150k miles. btw,i believe i know who you are referring to on escape central and he has very recently changed his tune to never change your fluid regardless of type.

so, here we are in mid 2008...i would assume that any mercon v on the shelfs is now good to go for my 2002 v6 auto escape, ie, that any formulation issues have been long resolved. i was at autozone and saw a couple of them, i believe castrol had a mercon v and two others whose name i cannot remember at the moment. anyone here have a specific manufacturer you recommend over others?

Last edited:
Escape seems to be on automatic (forget) mode and the administrators don't look after it very often. The front page was recently revised. The one before was still announcing the introduction of the 05 models.

I think they will get back to you eventually.

Mercon vs Mercon V is still a hot topic there. The poster that recommended leaving the original fluid in until 150,000 miles is not representative of the majority.

The most common recommendation is to drain the trans at the trans plug for a partial change every 5,000 miles. You can drain nearly 4 quarts of the 10 total.

Another common suggestion is to drain the trans at the trans plug twice, after a short drive between for closer to an 80% fluid change. Do this less often. Some will do it three times to end up with closer to a 100% change.

A less common method but liked by some (including myself) is the hose in a bucket method every 30,000 miles to obtain a 100% flush.

If you nose around there you will also find where a few of us have added an external filter since there is on serviceable filter on that transmission.

I wish I had the answer for you, but I don't. I maintain my parent's 2005 Escape. I do drain and fills every 30K. When Mercon started disappearing off the shelves, I got lucky finding a clearance on the Home Depot automotive aisle. I bought 18 quarts of Pennzoil Mercon that will maintain this tranny for the next couple of years, at the rate that they drive.

If you drain the fluid on a flat surface, you can get about 4 quarts out. I drain on a sloped driveway, with the engine higher than the rear end, and I can get about 4.5 qts. I use a graduated paint mixing container from Lowe's or Walmart (about $2) to get a good measurement. Just place the container under the drain plug and remove.

The manual states regular Mercon as does the dipstick in my case. I hope they trade this vehicle in before I have to figure this out or that someone else does figure it out before then! If you are looking for regular Mercon and don't find any at the parts stores, you might find it at gas stations, where they don't update their offerings that frequently. I see Mercon in East Tennessee at most of the gas stations I frequent.

mikeinaustin,

I have been a Escape-Central forum member since I bought my Escape back in '02 (same as yours - V6, 4x2).
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/
We talk plenty about the trans but no one has yet figured out the exact cause of the CD4E tranny failures. Ford filled your CD4E trans with Mercon. Your dipstick wasn't engraved properly (mine was - go figure). I have been doing "drain 'n fills" every 10K with plain 'ol Mercon since my truck was new and my my trans has been flawless (so has the truck - it's super reliable). As mentioned by dgreen a transaxle "drain 'n fill" removes anywhere from 3.9 qts to 4.5 depending the angle of the truck when you drain it. I'd recommend you check the dipstick to make sure the level is correct, then measure the amount of ATF that comes out and pour that amount back in. Once again I agree with Big Jim and don't believe Mercon V would harm your trans as some on the forum would have you believe. As for me, when my stash of plain 'ol Mercon is used up I'll switch to Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc or the SuperTech (Wal-Mart) equivalent and probably up my drain intervals to every 15K.

well i am more confused at the manufacturing process at ford than ever! i took a good look at the dipstick. the handle (bright yellow) states use only mercon V. i then looked at the etching on the metal fairly close to the end of the stick and it says use only mercon. so one stick, two different recommended fluids!

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
well i am more confused at the manufacturing process at ford than ever! i took a good look at the dipstick. the handle (bright yellow) states use only mercon V. i then looked at the etching on the metal fairly close to the end of the stick and it says use only mercon. so one stick, two different recommended fluids!

Like I said before, you need to see if your car was included in the TSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back