quick help needed. code P1166 on elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about our 2003 Elantra.
we were climbing up Pike's Peak in CO in 2nd/1st gear when at about 13,000 feet where o2 levels in air is about HALF of normal level, CEL came on, car sputtered and won't go. We let it sit for a while, to cool off, and drove back down, and still CEL was on, but car now drives fine. went to autozone, got CEL cleared (only code was P1166); never came back on...yet.
I know that P1166 is related to O2 sensor (bank1) etc, and that it probably freaked out..that's what I think.

the car is still under warranty. should I worry about this? (even if the CEL never came back)? As I said the car drives completely normal now.
This is what I could find about this code:
P1166 O2s (B1) Control Adaptation
P1166 Limit O2s Lambda Control (B1)

btw, more photos from today coming later tonight.

Thanks Bill.
The only thing that worried me was that we used the low gear so much, and that it sort of sputtered and lagged when the cel first came on. Later it started and drove fine, with CEL still on.

(we thought it was due to overheating, etc, (even though temp gauge never moved from the normal position) but now that I think of it, it may just have been the CEL and the PCM freaking out which caused the car to sputter and not want to go? sound reasonable???

It is possible the car uses a MAP sensor reading right before starting as a barometric pressure indication, then if you majorly gained altitude before shutting off it got freaked out.

Probably worse when it threw the o2 code it gave up trying to adapt and went for a worse open loop mode.

Personally I think it was the computer just getting a little confused and just hick-up'd.

When that happens, since computers would not get lost with arranging data it threw a code.

My rule of thumb is if its running normal and everything else seems normal with the CEL not coming back =
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
19.gif

and have a good time!

Bill

Note to self: Cancel plan to build Hyundai powered home built airplane.

Other than that, I agree with Bill. If it doesn't come back and tuns OK now, no problem.

I don't think it should have thrown a code, but seriously doubt Hyundai would do anything about it if you told them without being able to repeat the problem at the dealership.

Thx. guys.
Called the dealership:
they said not to worry unless CEL comes back on, and they also mentioned that the car just had its 90k mile service, and that they add a lot of detergents to the fuel system, and that those cars often throw this code after the 90k miles... (??)
so I wonder if the combination of that factor and the sudden change in O2 % and the altitude caused this whole fiasco...or was it just a weird co incidence?

I will update if the Elantra starts acting weird, or if the CEL comes back on.

Last edited:
Wasn't that a P0166? A P1166 is a proprietary code - a P0166 is OBDII.
Anyway, the O2 sensor did not see the 60% ambient air properly. It uses this as a reference. Probably no big deal.
Like the dealer said, keep an eye on it. She will self adjust a bit to any normal conditions - Pike's Peak is stretching it, though!

As long as it runs fine and the code doesn't come back, it should be fine.

I believe the same thing has happened to a relative's vehicle once while coming from the low lands to visit us in CO.

Yesterday was pretty darn hot and crawling up Pike's Peak is a big work out for an engine - especially if the computer is going bonkers as the oxygen levels keep plummeting minute by minute.

Did they check your brakes at glen cove? That's another thing you have to watch out for in the mountains - if you ride the brakes on long descents you'll overheat them. Downshifting, even with an automatic, is essential.

Quote:
That's another thing you have to watch out for in the mountains - if you ride the brakes on long descents you'll overheat them. Downshifting, even with an automatic, is essential.

Is that not the truth.
thumbsup2.gif

See dozens of folks come here from flat lands and cook the brakes.

Smell thousands (my 8 year old sits in the rear of the car and when we are going up a grade, tells me when someone is "burning" their brakes)

Its real impressive to watch semi trucks catch on fire along side the road.

Bill

i did use 1st and 2nd when coming down on pikes peak (and also going up) and there were no other problems.
there were some more similar driving (not as bad) today;
drove another 400 miles today; no CEL; all is fine, even at 8000 ft or so.

That's what I surmised earlier - it is not an OBD2 code but a proprietary Hyundai code.
In this case, they are similar.
And once again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back