CDOil type 2006 ISUZU 4HK1-TC (5.2L turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just looking for a little info on a good oil to use
My father just picked up a used Isuzu 5.2l NPR HD truck. Drivers side visor states to use CD, CD/SF, CD/SG, or CE oil. Isuzu lists just about every common weight excpet they state not to use 10w-40.

I was planing on using Shell Rotella 5w-40, but if the trucks visor is correct, I would be able to use something like 0w-30 GC

Does anyone know of some good sources where I can find info on this 2006 5.2 Liter engine?

The 10W-40 is based on shearing down more than anything I think. HTHS greater than 3.7 in a shear stable 10W-40 oil should be fine.

Use Rotella 5W-40, Delo 5W-40 or Delvac 1 if you are looking for synthetic and you likely won't go wrong. CI-4+ or CJ-4 oil will be about all you can find, lots of passenger car oils are rated CF but are not really that suitable for diesels.

Look for HDEO for soot retention, 5W-40 will offer you the best cold start performance and longest drains. What type of truck is this?

i used rotella 5w-40 in my isuzu npr with the 3.9 diesel engine, the forerunner to your engine and lost the rear main seal, although i had good luck with other synthetics, and in my trucks manual it states not to use synthetics, not saying this is the case with your newer engine, and after writing the factory, before i used synthetics they used the term some synthetics cause problems with oil seals.

i gained a mile per gallon using synthetics

The thing with "synthetics" and seal loss is more poor seal compatibility of high-PAO based synthetics with little ester or other content added to swell seals. I don't think Rotella T which is a group III synthetic would cause that type of issue because as far as seals are concerned, it is quite similar to dino juice.

Delvac 1 is loaded with esters which help swell seals even though it is PAO based.

11' ft x 16' box about 250 mile trip home, truck used almost 1/2 tank. Tank is suposed to hold 33 gallons.

I don't have to feed the truck, just maintain it. This truck replaces a 92 f-superduty 460 job. Now that truck is a gas pig.

Mgregoir, i had been using valvoline synthetics for a number of years now and had no oil leaking issues, up until i used the rotella 5w-40, i dont disagree with you, i dont think i did a good job of adding things up, just sort of leaped to a conclusion, the truck is a 1996 with only 100,000 miles on it so there is the mere age factor that could be a contribiting factor, and it dosent mean that the valvoline didnt work at the seals over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back