01 Honda Civic 1.7/4cyl oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister just traded her previous car for an 01 Honda Civic with the 1.7 liter in it. It calls for 5w-20, I believe.

What oil shows up good in these cars. I was thinking of two oils in particular. One is going with Motorcraft 5w-20. Anyone object?

The other is Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20. That oil, also, seems to always show great UOA's.

I just need a few opinions before I go pick the oil up, today. Thanks.

I don't see an edit, sorry, but here's my thinking on this. If it was new or near new (up to 50k miles) I wouldn't hesitate to use 5W-20. But, I don't think it can be argued that a 5W-30, or xW-30 in general, will be able to put more mileage on them than a 5W-20 oil. She is an oil abuser, lol. By that, I mean, she will run the car a little hard and also probably 7k miles. This is why I question if a 5W-20 will really be up to some abuse like an xW-30 would be. I worry too much about this stuff, I guess.

EDIT: Which PP do you use?

EDIT: And how many miles do you have on your car? How many miles do you put on the oil? Do you have any UOA's by any chance?

Last edited:
either one of the ones you listed will get you 7K. A 5W20 will be just as good if not better than 5W30

maxlife would be a good option as well

Actually, I do oil changes for two Civics. Mine and the niece's. My has 85K and her car has 98K. BTW, she has a 02. I try to use 5W-20 when I can but sometimes use 5W-30. I have no problems using a thicker oil (no thicker than 5W-30) in the summer but for sure, I only use 5W-20 for the Minnesota Winters. Have no worries, the PP 5W-20 should be able to take the abuse. haha Also, I change my oil at 5K and the niece's at 7.5K b/c she gets lazy to bring it in. At both intervals, the oil still looks good but haven't done a UOA. Sorry, I don't believe in paying the money for it b/c that can buy me a lot of $0.99 synthetic oil on sale. Hope this helps you.

Peace,
Paul

The least expensive 5w20 oil you can find for all season (sub zero to 100 degrees +)

Does this 2001 Civic still have the factory struts ??

This is a known problem and quite expensive repair....

I think I'll give PP 5W-20 a try.

BTW, what's up with struts? I'd say they are factory?

Honda only requires 10k oil changes so any 5w-20 you want and your sister should be OK even if she changes the oil at 7k ocis. I have an 04 and I change mine every 5k.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The least expensive 5w20 oil you can find for all season (sub zero to 100 degrees +)

Does this 2001 Civic still have the factory struts ??

This is a known problem and quite expensive repair....

Do you know if this problem affects the whole 7th gen years of Civics or only the earlier ones?

2001 and 2002 are known for bad struts.

2003 - 2005 Civics do NOT have the bad struts.

My mom also has a 2001 Civic, but she only drives 5K miles per year, but at around 60-70K miles they will start to leak.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
BTW, what's up with struts? I'd say they are factory?

They cr*pped out on the niece's car before 80K. She just had them replaced and they ride is MUCH better now. Still no problems with mine.

Personally, I'd use either Pennzoil YB 5W-20, OR Castrol GTX 5W-20. Both are very strong oils that have shown good results...just my $0.02!

I wasn't aware that Castrol GTX came in 5w-20. It's just that she will be going 6-7k miles on her oil, and I only trust a synthetic to do that in this viscosity range.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Going to go with some Pennzoil Platinum and see how it goes.

The GTX would survive 6-7k miles in a Honda, easy. It's a solid oil. But PP is obviously a great oil as well.

hmm, I have 04 Civic and I always use the M1 5w-20 or 5w-30 so they work great for me. I saw the deal on Valvoline Synthetic so I would like to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back