Delo Synthetic 5W40 March 25 08 12 000km on fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All stop and go miles in city. High revs on highway. Est 60/40 city to hwy.
2006 Dodge Cummins
5.9 liter, 97 000 km on truck at sampling date.
Amsoil BMK-11 used
Donaldson Endurance FF
AFE Proguard 7 Filter used.

FE 14
CR 0
NI 0
SI 5
AL 1
PB 2
SN 1
CU 1
NA 1
K 3
B 8
AG 0
MO 1
MG 28
ZN 1329
CA 3500
BA 0
P 1155

ST 11
OXI 18
NIT 7
SUL 23
W N
A N
F N
V100 14.1
V40 86.0

I guess it has little or no Moly and Boron, unlike the 15W40 (CI4+ which I use regularly). This 5W40 is CI4+ as well. Very good oil for the price I paid, as I had my doubts. Not anymore.

Great UOA!!! I am always telling people that the Delo 5W40 and RTS 5W40 are kick butt products that offer all the bang for the buck that anyone needs! I think these two products are best buys in my opion!I recomend RTS 5W40 more often then Delo simply because in the USA RTS is available at every Walmart so it is easy for anyone to find!

Yeah,that's the only reason I use Delo...I prefer an oil that I can find both the syn and dino easily enough. RTS in my area is tough to come by and when you do find it the stuff is about 8/9 dollars more than the Delo. I can get Delo 15W40 and 5W40 easy at fair prices. I like both Rotella and Delo though...can't go wrong with either.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
nice uoa and nice additive pk. Nice wear numbers considering you probably ran this oil through the winter.

December through March...looking back, I would have like to leave it in for another 5-6000 km's...it would have held up for sure.

RTS and Delo CI-4+ synthetics are good performers with excellent availability. After looking at, and statistically trending, several hundred UOA's on Cummins ISM diesels in Class 8 vehicles I'm not a fan of the dino 15W40 Grade Delo 400 LE CJ-4. The formulation's TBN drops real linearly (minus coolant leaks of course), and if you have trucks idling around an urban center with mixed highway use the curve gets pretty steep. Wear metals look good, but it just doesn't seem to hang in there like the CI-4+ formula did. That EGR on the 2006-2007 Cummins ISM and ISX is pretty brutal though so for a typical pick-up truck the CJ-4 would probably do pretty well.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Delo CI4+ used to be one of the desired performers out there, but now between Rotella and Delo, Rotella has seemed to come out on top. Wonder what will happen with the next formulation...

Last edited:
I here you D-Roc. I wish I knew when Chevron was going to reformulate their CJ-4 version again. The Delo CI-4+ was the toughest dino oil I had seen in widespread use...it handled soot, fuel and water/coolant dilution like a champ! You here of one off success with some other boutique HDEO's, but Delo just got it done and it was extremely inexpensive at fleet pricing. I will tell you this about the CJ-4 spec though, after much hype Cummins (the OEM for most of the fleet tractors I work with) came out and stated that you can use CI-4+ in their newer ISM and ISX engines without jeopardizing your warranty, but YOU "may" have to clean out the DPF's at an earlier date than anticipated. To me this screamed that if you ran a higher ash formulation with low volatility/consumption you were going to be OK, and could still go after the extended drains afforded by 11+ TBN formulations. I know a small operator out here who is quietly running Amsoil HDD in his 07 rigs because he believes that the low NOACK would make the plugged DPF's a non-issue... the $4+gallon diesel is making a lot of cowboys out of normally conservative people. It's a potentially expensive experiment, but we will see what happens in a few years! My money says he makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back