Oil for a Honda GX200.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda GX200 in my pressure washer. Last year I didnt put much time on the engine at all (using the factory oil). At the end of the season I drained the oil just to be sure.

No that I need to fire it up again, Im debating what oil to put in it. Amsoil is not readily available, so Id prefer something not Amsoil :)

I also wasnt sure about dino vs synth because the engine doesnt have much time on it yet. Should I run it longer with dino before switching to syn? I wanted to use syn normally, but it looks like Ill end up changing the oil after every season anyway, so syn might just be a waste (or not, opinions welcome!)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

If you have light duty cycle and change oil at the end of the season, there is no compelling reason for synthetics. Pretty much any oil will do.
I happened to find MaxLife 5w30 on sale, this is what I am currently using in my small engines

I have a Honda GX340 in my UTV.

I'm pretty sure it'll run on anything liquid, being a Honda.

Synthetic in short OCIs is a waste. You might put 5 hours on that engine in a season. Maybe 10? That's like driving 300 to 600 miles and changing oil. You afraid your "dino" can't handle that?

Thanks for the replies.

Not that my dino oil cant handle it, but its such a small amount of oil, I figured syn cant hurt and a gallon jug will last a while anyway. 0.6 qt in the crankcase, 1 gallon = almost 8 oil changes. 8 yrs of oil for 22 bux (I got a 4 qt jug of Mobil1), I think I can swing the ~$3.00/yr.

Syn could also make it possible to not have to change the oil after every season, but Im not sure I want to go that far.

It is a Honda, and will probably run on water, but it is a Honda so I wanted to take care of it like I take care of my other Hondas (full size vehicle included)

I'm of the same mindset... if the sump is that small you might as well run the best oil you can, it certainly won't break the bank.

I have 3 Honda GX31 engines, one on my weedeater, one on a small tiller and one mounted on a bicycle. The sump capacity in these engines is only 100ml. So, at $1.30 an oil change I went with Redline. At least I know that the engines are protected to the best level I can offer under high heat/load conditions.

I also use Redline in my Honda GX160 powered lawnmower and snowblower. Same principal of economics.

Last edited:
I have a Honda GX160 on my pressure washer and I use Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT in the gallon jug. At just over 1/2 a quart per oil change I think it is silly to NOT use a synthetic.

Yep, I bit the bullet. Coincidentally (or not) I went with the same oil Turbo is using....Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Looks to have an SL rating and a good additive pack. $23 bux for 4 quarts, which will last 6 oil changes. Or, 6 years on the pressure washer. Cheap enough when broken down into years.

But boy was it tough filling the engine!! I didnt have a flex-funnel handy, made a huge mess. Gotta get me a long flex funnel before the next oil change.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back