All Data DIY Online Repair Manual isn't worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed up for the online auto repair manual for 25 bucks for a year subscription at the All Data DIY site. Well, I urge you fellow BITOGers: Don't waste your money.

The manual's content is 90% TSBs, labor rates, and electrical diagrams. I tried to look at diagrams/locations for PCV valve, and other very simple items and it doesn't even have these. I looked at how it recommends adjusting and replacing the drive belts, and of course, no information listed. It only shows deflection specs. Please!

I tried the sample vehicle manual they have before I bought it, and of course they showed a lot of very in depth information on the sample vehicle.

Don't waste your money on this. Should have got a Helms manual, and now I will.

Rant over!
mad.gif

Last edited:
I think it is model dependant. I needed some repair info on an 03 Ford Crown Vic and it had everything I needed to completely rebuild the rack and pinion [censored]. But alot of the Ford diagnostics requires you have access to a Ford WDS analyzer. Most of the info will transfer over to a Vantage or Solus unit. But then I had to work on a fuel problem on a 05 Impala and there was not enough info to find the problem.(Weak data signal on wire F11 to ECM - No values listed) And you're right, for personal use, why would I need factory repair book times and some of the odd specs they have. It's worth about 10 bucks a year, but only on models that don't have Helm books out yet. Most current Chilton manuals are trash.

Last edited:
Harassment of board members will not be tolerated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a factory service manual for a 93 Taurus, a nice thick manual that I bought from a coworker, but one needed another much more expensive manual for dealing emissions. Alldata had the emissions troubleshooting that I needed, something that I couldn't find anywhere else.

I needed to check and eventually replace an alternator on a 99 Taurus yesterday, and Alldata at least had electrical troubleshooting information on the alternator and voltage regulator, info that Chilton didn't.

It's important to use what makes sense, but that varies by the information that si needed.

I use the site for my car and like it a lot better than the comparable Chilton/Haynes. Sorry to hear the experience wasn't as good for your vehicle.

Maybe write them and ask for a refund? Can't hurt to ask...

I've looked at all three: Chilton's, Haynes, and All Data, and they are all very lacking. You get what you pay for and for 25 bucks for a year, what was I expecting I guess. I am not making this up. You cannot get the procedure or diagram for even the serpentine belt, PCV, alternator, and other very common items.

I have heard that Helms is the best, bar none, but their online site does not have a 95 Nissan PU manual.

As a side note, I grew up with Dad using Chilton's manuals, and it seems like they have gone downhill. You never hear anything good about them.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
Harassment of board members will not be tolerated.

Thank you.

If you're serious, how did I harass someone?

54.gif

we have the online complete version at work. it really depends on the car as to what info is available. of course for ford i get the info direct from the source, so its the best info out there.

I needed to troubleshoot the A/C control circuit on my '97 Chevy truck. The information in All-Data was extremely cursory, essentially worthless.

I have it for my 85 Cadillac and 91 Jeep Cherokee. I also have the printed FSMs as well as the Haynes and Chiltons books.

It's good for supplemental information that is not in the FSMs, TSBs, replacement parts info (module X replaced by module Xa, for example), and other such info. Frankly the part I like the best about it is the labor estimates, because I know what to expect from the mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back