Napa house brand oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this has been asked before but after trying a number of searches I was unable to find my answer. Who makes the Napa brand oil sold in Napa stores? And does anyone know how well it compares to the brand names? I currently use Maxlife 10w30 and a Purolator Premium Plus filter with a 3k oci, but am considering changing to a Napa Pro Select oil filter and buying my oil there too. I think it is good to be able to buy what I need without running to 2 or 3 different stores to save a little money, but Napa has higher prices than most other stores on name brand oil. Does Napa even sell a Napa brand high mileage oil and if so how does it compare to Maxlife and the other name brands? If it was just as good, it would save me an extra trip. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 liter v6 and 87,000 miles. It has been on Maxlife since 65,000 miles and Valvoline dino before that. The Maxlife is doing fine, nice quiet cold starts, very smooth running engine and a little better MPG than with dino.

Any info is very much appreciated.

Valvoline makes the NAPA oil. I am almost 100% positive on that.
What I'd like to know is, who makes the Advance Auto brand of oil.
We don't have alot of NAPA's here, but AAP is on every other corner it seems.
Their oil is always a good deal. But I'd still like to know who makes it.

i think that coastal is the blender of the AAP oil.
27.gif

I thought Ashland produced the Napa oil. Is it the same composition as what is in the Valvoline bottle or do they change the add pack/makeup of the oil? We have a lot more AAP stores here also. There is a Napa and an AAP about half a mile from my house, though. And I drive right near a Napa warehouse store on my way home from work. I have been studying up on the Napa/Wix filters and would like to try one on my next oci. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality and if it helps someone working for Wix or Ashland, or Napa keep his job, that's a big plus as far as I'm concerned. I'd just like to get the oil and filter on the same trip to the parts store. I buy Napa parts when I need the important parts like alternators, starters, ac compressors, and the like because in my experience the quality is better. I was thinking I would apply the same reasoning to my oil and filter. But I did see Maxlife for $11.99 for the 4 qt. gallon jug at the Kmart next to my grocery store the other day...

My Dad used to own a NAPA store. I am 100% sure that NAPA oil is Valvoline.Look at the part nos. on the cases.I also think that O'Reilly oil is Valvoline. Same formulation? Look at the spec. sheets. I am using,and would recommend NAPA Gold filters.They have a better element. Check out Fleet Filter on this site.

I posted the results of VOA tests for Valvoline Synpower 10w-30 and Napa Synthetic 10w-30 in the VOA section of this board. The add packs are a bit different on the Valvoline branded versus the Napa private label version. I would expect the same to be true of the other Napa private label oils from Valvoline. Also long as its rated SM it should be good for 5K miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1116699

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
But I did see Maxlife for $11.99 for the 4 qt. gallon jug at the Kmart next to my grocery store the other day...

Keep on walking. Its $12 for 5.5 quarts at walmart.

About a year or two ago Napa and Valvoline shared identical MSDS forms with identical numbers and all. Just the company address changed.

Same spigot!!!

Heck even the STP like stuff shared MSDS although VSOT was not available as a Napa product.

Get a good price use it with confidence and be happy.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
About a year or two ago Napa and Valvoline shared identical MSDS forms with identical numbers and all.
True, but there is a lot of leeway in the MSDS numbers for variations in the formulation and add pack. I remember Valvoline Techs telling me that Valvoline was better. At that time (SL spec days) it was also apparent on the bottles, where Synpower also carried a "C" rating, but the NAPA Synthetic did not.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Does Napa even sell a Napa brand high mileage oil and if so how does it compare to Maxlife and the other name brands?

Napa does have it's own high-mileage oil, but I don't know how it is compared to Maxlife and others.

my neighbor went 240k on a subaru with napa...3k oil changes...i am sure he wouldve done just as well on 5k oci....car is still running

I'm going to compare prices tomorrow and may just start using the Napa oil and filters too if the price is right. Thanks for all the help here.

Just for grins I followed the link from NAPA's site to look at the MSDS for their conventional 5W-30. Lo and behold, the title of the document is:

MSDS No: 505.0172013-013.004
ALL CLIMATE MOTOR OIL SAE 5W30

You can see it here:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NO...l+-+NAPA+-+1+Qt

Hardly a definitive answer, but it sure makes it seem plausible that the same stuff may well be sold in both white and blue bottles. Manufacturing wise it would be silly for Valvoline to manufacture two different conventional motor oils, one for their brand and another for private labels.

I agree with both of you. I'm looking forward to my price-investigating trip tomorrow. I have occasionally glanced at the prices for oil at Napa, but never really paid attention to it until I found BITOG. After researching the Napa/Wix filters it only makes sense to research their oil selection and prices.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Napa makes great filters, especially considering they come on sale for three bucks and some change once in a while!
Well technically, NAPA sells great filters, at least the NAPA Gold, which is made by Wix and is the same as a Wix.

I think that CarQuest has a rebadged Wix filter also.

I don't see any problem running NAPA oil and I have run it before, but there would have to be a price advantage. All my Maxlife I got for no more than $2.25 a quart (except for the Synth) and it would be hard to beat with NAPA high mileage oil.

OK so I went to Napa today. They had a wall full of good quality oils in various sized and priced containers. The staff must have thought I was nuts for studying oil containers for as long as I did. There was a 90 cent price difference between Napa branded high mileage oil and Maxlife. Maxlife was $4.19 a quart. The Napa brand dino was $2.09 a quart with Valvoline about a dollar more in price. I thought it was odd that the Valvoline bottle said it was made in Lexington and the Napa brand said it was made in Covington. Both bottles also had Ashland printed on the side. So the Napa oil must come from a different plant or refinery. Funny thing was the Napa HM oil was in a maroon colored bottle same as Maxlife.

I spent a lot of time studying the Napa oil filters too. The store staff had to be wondering what I was up to. I really did like the construction and general overall quality feel of the Napa Gold/Wix and the ProSelect/Wix filter. Again there was cryptic info on the box. The NG filter plainly said "Wix" on the box. The ProSelect box just said "Gastonia NC". We all know that's where one of the Wix factories is located. The Napa Nascar filter box said Gastonia as well, but not "Wix". Truth be told, I don't really buy into the spinflow idea. Plus there was an odd oval shaped piece of metal attached in the bottom of the filter housing, as I looked into it. I have no idea what that piece is for but the equivalent NG and ProSelect for my truck did not have that piece in the filter. It must be something to do with the spinflow technology. I didn't like the looks of it and none of the other Nascar filters I examined had that piece either.

So after checking Napa I am confident they will get my business for oil changes too from here on out, unless I find a really good deal on Maxlife while out shopping somewhere else. To me it's not worth it to save 50 cents a quart and have to drive all over town or put up with the problems associated with a trip to Walmart. I don't go to Walmart very often. Napa is just down the street from my house and it's on my way home from work. The store near my office has oil and oil filters, air filters, electrical parts and a lot of other parts right out on the salesfloor so there's no need to wait for a counter guy to go get your filter for you. No long lines at the cashier like Wally World either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back