Castrol Syntec: "real or fake?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol Syntec 10w-30 is a Group III oil so it is a semi synthetic in reality.

The real synthetic Castrol is the 0w-30 Syntec with no API starburst and is spec'd for VW, BMW, etc.

I believe Castrol states they do use some amount of ester base on their fake synthetics. So while still mostly fake, they do seem to use some real syns......likely for seal swell and additive solubility.

I use Mobil 1 and have to stay with VW502 oils for powertrain warranty reasons, but does it really matter that most Castrol "synthetics" are actually VERY highly refined dino, plus esters? Yes, it does seem like a truth-in-labeling issue to me, sort of like buying "organic" produce which occasionally gets hit with pesticides from the farm next door, but what is the PRACTICAL implication for one's engine?

Performance matters more than anything else. Many take the content of the base oils to mean quality when the gap has been closed performance wise. When selling a product for profit you sell it for what the market will support. Obviously Castrol is able to sell enough Syntec to justify its position or the price would have dropped long ago.
So no, there is no practical implication for an engine if the oil meets that engines specifiactions regardless of the base oils used.
patriot.gif

if your car specs. a VW or some other approved oil, then i wouldn't use it. if it's for a car that just uses regular oil with 4-5k changes and you think a grpIII oil has better packaging than the other brands, I say go for it if you don't mind the $1-2 premium.

there are no negatives as far as i can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back