Using 5w20 in place of 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an upright 4cyl I can see 5W-20 working well but I'm a little skittish in trying it in my boxer subaru considering how little wear I get with the 5W-30, not to mention 29-30mpg everyday.

I think in something like the vibe you'll be fine since it's only the main bearing under gravitational load.

Originally Posted By: morepower
Do they make a straight 20w, I'd try it in a 4.7 Toyota.

Why? You'd be pumping glue on a cold startup. Actually 20w used to be available.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: morepower
Do they make a straight 20w, I'd try it in a 4.7 Toyota.

Why? You'd be pumping glue on a cold startup. Actually 20w used to be available.

Joel
I understand all the Dr AeHas thing but it still would be doable in Florida in Summer, the temps never go below 80 degrees even at night, and a 20w wouldn't shear at all, I would try it out.

As long as you can find it with the proper "S" rating, go for it. Many are specifically diesel oils or maybe SF
21.gif

Originally Posted By: TheBus36
I have an 05 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L and an 01 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L. Is it safe to run 5w20 conventional in either one?

TheBus36,

I have wondered about this myself in the past and never got a straight answer to this same question for my 01' Dodge Durango which wants 5W-30. I figure using 5W-20 might save me a little gas cuz here in my area it's not $4.10/gallon of regular!!! Besides using it will just go to 20 weight when the motor gets hot instead of using 30 weight. If anyone has a different opinion then let me know cuz I'm almost ready for another OCI.

Durango

Good point Gary. I am still as confused as ever.

Toyota, if you are listening...please give us Corolla owners a definitive answer on running 5w-20 in the 1ZZ-FE.

Heck, the Toy dealer couldn't even give me a straight answer.
54.gif

Here's the document for those who haven't seen it.

http://matrixowners.com/tsb/TS-EG018-06.pdf

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
AZ series
GR series
JZ series
MZ series
NZ series
RZ series
UZ series
VZ series
1ZZ–FE
2TR–FE

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 0W–20
(Beginning with 2006 MY)
2AZ–FE Camry
2AZ–FE Solara
2AZ–FE Highlander
2AZ–FE RAV4 (ACA3#)

NOTE:
DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low–viscosity
oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could
result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

My read on this: If the engine is listed ..then you're good to go. In the specific models listed ..the engine has to match as well (but all of them are on "the list"). I still can't figure out where they're coming from with the differentiation between 0w and 5w
54.gif

The only thing that I can figure is that they didn't have the right oil caps on them or the owners manuals had the wrong data at time of publication.

Gary, thank you for finding and posting this. I read the document and I will definitely be going with 5w-20 beginning next oil change as the 1ZZ-FE engine is on that list.

Great news! I can use the PP 5w-20 I have left over from my Saturn VUE.
thumbsup2.gif

That Toyota 0w-20 is a full synthetic, the local dealer is asking $13.75 a qt over the counter, I hear its just Mobil 1.

I guess they want to force it on some engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back