Valvoline Power Steering Fluid

I was looking for power steering fluid tonight, and noticed that the Pyroil and Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluids are missing from the website. It has now been replaced with a "Valvoline Power Steering Fluid" that comes in a white one quart bottle.

Has anyone seen this stuff before?

Hmm, I always considered VSP PSF a good alternative. I have a 1/2q here, maybe I should grab a full one before it's n/a.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Just use whatever ATF you have around. It is probably better anyway.

Bad idea. A lot of power steering systems require a specific fluid for proper seal swell. I don't want to save a few bucks and have it turn into a disaster.

Quote:
Bad idea. A lot of power steering systems require a specific fluid for proper seal swell.

Source? And you are talking about generic everyday fluid in your post, not some super special Euro stuff...

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Bad idea. A lot of power steering systems require a specific fluid for proper seal swell.

Source? And you are talking about generic everyday fluid in your post, not some super special Euro stuff...

Specifications are specifications, and an approved product should be used. I don't see why it's more important in an Euro application than in a domestic application. Anytime the manufacturer requires a certain fluid to be used, that's the only product that should be installed. I think any engineer, aftermarket or OE, would be in agreement with me here.

GM does have a specification for power steering fluid.

Hondas should use their specific PS fluid - at least they used to need this.
Most others can use ATF.
Most cars use ATF anyway, but check yours out in the manual.

Some say specific NOT to use ATF, but I have and not had a problem. Plain PSF is the lamest automotive fluid.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
GM 9985010

I had a growling P/S pump on my Yukon and the dealer flushed the system and put in the GM syn fluid which worked for about 5,000 miles and began growling again. So I put in Royal Purple Max EZ which exceeds that GM spec. All is quiet.

I've used the Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid in my GM cars with no issues but recently I just flushed one out with Redline PSF which states it meets the GM spec. It seems to be working fine. I used it in one of my cars that has an occasional issue when cold to see if it is any better. I'll probably stick with the cheaper stuff in my Grand Prix which never seems to have an issue.

I have not yet seen the new Valvoline stuff on the shelf yet.

I tried VSP in my 05 Corvette and it did NOT like it. Felt like ....well, kind of hard to explain. It would feel okay then all of a sudden, when turning, it felt like there was no power steering, in fact in felt like the car didn't want to turn at all. Crept home after stopping at the chevy dealership and immediately went back to the GM fluid. All is now well again.

I pretty much use the VSPSF in all vehicles that don't specifically recommend ATF. MY roadmaster and the fiancee's cavalier have no issues with it.

The 2005 and later Jeep Grand Cherokee models state to use PSF that meets MOPAR MS-10838, which is different from the earlier MOPAR standards that Valvoline PSF meets. It also warns that ATF+4 is not accpted either.

Chrysler states that MS-10838 PSF is compatible with older Chrysler PSF.

My Nissan's service manual actually calls for Dextron III ATF for the power steering system.
I recently had my PS pump replaced. The mechanic would not guarantee his work unless I agreed to leave in the Valvoline Syn Power he had used for the job.
His focus was on the providing what he believes to be the better protection against the friction occurs in the PS pump, Valvoline Syn Power.
He highlighted the better lubrication and the longer longevity of Synthetic PS fluid over the Dextron III ATF.
While my concern was the seals that had always been conditioned by the Dextron III ATF, which is required by Nissan for my vehicle's PS system.
Extra Info:
Nissan dealership parts counter manager told me that Nissan my car requires "Nissan Power Steering Fluid", which supersedes the "Nissan MATIC-D" ATF that Nissan technicians previously used after Dextron III was no longer available, as both MATIC-D and Nissan PS Fluid contain Dextron III.
(Nissan began selling the Nissan brand PS fluid began in 2011. part number: 999MPAG000P)

Now, because my car's PS system required flushing to remove metal flakes in the fluid from the bad, growling, old pump, if leaks occur anywhere in the PS system, his understanding is that because the seals in the steering rack are old to begin with, any leak that might occur in the future would be due to the condition of the seals and not attributable to the fluid he elected to use in place of what was specified to use by Nissan.

I found it noteworthy, one, that the Nissan engineering department responsible for the service manual specified using Dextron product in their PS system, even when Synthetic fluid was available, and two, that today Nissan dealership technicians continue to use the Dextron III (Nissan PS Fluid) product for my car's PS system in place of any Synthetic PS fluid.

As of 2016, Valvoline Europe said SynPower PSF was Olive Green. See Page 2 of the Product Information.
Valvoline Europe SynPower PSF Product Information
The fluid in my reservoir is pale pinkish orange.
What color is Valvoline SynPower power steering fluid supposed to be??

Valvoline Syn Power PSF's VISCOSITY is quite different than that of a Dextron III ATF, also on Page 2.

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC.ASTM D-445 18,7 Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC.ASTM D-445 6,0 Viscosity IndexASTM D-2270 313

compared to Castrol TransMax DEX-MERC See Page 5 in
CASTROL TRANSMAX DEX-MERC PDS MSDS

PDS and MSDS for TRANSMAX DEX-MERC

Viscosity Kinematic: 30 to 40.1 mm2/s (30 to 40.1 cSt) at 40°C , 7 to 8.2 mm2/s (7 to 8.2 cSt) at 100°C ,

Last edited:
ALSO: Valvoline Syn Power PSF's VISCOSITY at 40°C is very different than that of a Dextron III ATF at the same temperature.

See Page 2. Page 2

It appears that Valvoline SYNPOWER PSF flows easier than the Castrol TRANSMAX DEX-MERC (Dextron III ATF equivalent) when cold but not all that much easier when hot.

Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ºC.
ASTM D-445 18,7
Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ºC.
ASTM D-445 6,0 [
b]Viscosity Index[/b]ASTM D-2270 313

compared to Castrol TransMax DEX-MERC See Page 5 in
CASTROL TRANSMAX DEX-MERC PDS MSDS

PDS and MSDS for TRANSMAX DEX-MERC

Viscosity Kinematic:
30 to 40.1 mm2/s (30 to 40.1 cSt) at 40°C ,
7 to 8.2 mm2/s (7 to 8.2 cSt) at 100°C ,

Last edited: