Are Gabriel struts any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I can get a good deal on Gabriel struts and was wondering how they compare with the competition?

I put four on my Astro Van and they are terrible. I wish I had spent the extra money on Monroes or OEM!

Originally Posted By: lewk
I put four on my Astro Van and they are terrible. I wish I had spent the extra money on Monroes or OEM!

Lewk, what version did you get? I just bought 4 Gabriel Pro-Guards(oil filled), the second up from the base Guardian model, to put on my GMC Sierra. They were inexpensive with their current rebate. When I got them home I noticed they were made in Mexico, darn it! Would you suggest I return them and get some Monroe Sensa-tracks since there is a rebate on them?

'Made in Mexico' is NOT a deal killer, for sure.
With shocks or struts, it generally pays to get a premium type in anybody's line.

The struts are Gabriel 'Ultras' but I've decided against them for now. I really don't need them yet and was only buying them because they were a good deal. I'll wait awhile and probably put KYB's or Tokicos on.

OT: The car in question is an 01' Accord 4 cyl. and I've read that the A/T 'carrier bearing' problem is sometimes exacerbated by worn out struts. This is why I want to change them out before 100K even though there is no obvious problem with the OE's.

Last edited:
hate gabriel struts (shocks are better thou) for I bought some for my Festiva and they all took turns in failing after 8 mnths of service.

Replaced them under warranty (used to work for an autoparts chain), installed them and they failed (in-turns again) in 14 mnths...

finally cut the crrrraaapp and bought some Monroes and they didn't fail while I owned that car (for another 1.5 yrs).

Gabriel struts? never, NEVER!

Q.

I bought a set of Gabriel Guardians for the rear of my 91 ranger. Still going strong almost a year later. Even with 400lbs of sand usually stored in the bed for winter traction.

They're definately not the best shock or the best ride, but for my winter truck, a $30 set of Lifetime Warranty shocks are what it gets :)

monroe and gabriel are both poopoo
kyb would be bottom of the barrel for me
if it's a truck the bilsteins don't cost too much more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back