Chevron Multi-Vehicle ATF - Is it a wonder fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It claims to be good for Mercon V,Mercon SP, Dex III, and Toyota WS. Redline D6 is the only other fluid I know of saying it will work for WS. Is this fluid that good ? Can it meet the requirements of all these specifications ?

It is Chevron, so it's not like these guys are making wild claims with no real knowledge. But if they can do it how come no one else is claiming WS for their Mercon V/assorted Japanese multi-fluid ? Is WS really that special or just unknown ?

Chevron Multi-vehicle ATF - Product Datasheet

Wonder fluid?? I doubt that. There are plenty of high quality multi-vehicle or universal ATFs on the market. Everyone from Amsoil to SuperTech has a multi-vehicle product aimed at a wide variety makes and models. While some folks don't like the one size fits all approach and still prefer to buy a specifically labeled fluid, we haven't seen a rash of problems from the many guys here that use these fluids in their cars. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Chevron ATF if it meets your needs.

Last edited:
Well first it is impossible to get a hand on the fluid since it is sold in 55G drums to shops and stealerships. I even called up a local shop that carries it and he quoted my $5.99/Q and I asked him was it synthetic since I can get M1 ATF for that price and he told me no.

I said no thanks, I will settle down with Castrol MV ATF instead which is readily available in stores.

BTW, Chevron MV ATF is Chevron Mercon V. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
8.4 cSt @ 100C
37.6 @ 40C
VI 210

Says it can be used in place of ESSO LT 71141

Holy moly - that's VERY viscous...at 100°C.

The VI? It's HUGE............hmmmm............

Yes, I agree. That is a very high KV 100 for an ATF. The high VI makes me think that it might be just loaded with VM so, what I would like to see, is how shear stable it is.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
8.4 cSt @ 100C
37.6 @ 40C
VI 210

Says it can be used in place of ESSO LT 71141

The most interesting part about the data sheet is that while the fluid is recommended for applications that specifically call for Esso LT71141, they do not recommend it for VW G052990A2 applications. People always say that the VWG052990A2 fluid is Esso LT71141, but apparently it isn't. Chevron recommends using their heavy duty product instead, which appears to be an Amsoil ATD-like product.

FORD TSB 06-14-4 that states that Mercon V is the replacement for Mercon applications ALSO states that Mercon SP is a unique fluid, to be used ONLY in applications that call for it.

So I would research further before using a fluid that states that it meets BOTH Mercon V and Mercon SP.

I am not qualified to comment further.....others here will know more than I do......as to if it is possible to meet BOTH specifications in the same fluid.

VW has the semi-synth and full-synth versions of LT71141. Apparently, Chevron would rather use the full synth in certain applications(wannabe lifetime fills, hot running transmission.....). I don't blame 'em.

I wouldn't use this ATF as a flush for any of the new thin ATF specs. Sure, you can top off anything with this(or almost any other ATF), but a full flush dumping a 6cst ATF for an ~8cst fluid isn't the best MPG move out there. The fluid probably has the antishudder durability and HFM level to shift smoothly, but besides MPG, cold weather sluggishness might be an issue.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
VW has the semi-synth and full-synth versions of LT71141. Apparently, Chevron would rather use the full synth in certain applications(wannabe lifetime fills, hot running transmission.....). I don't blame 'em.

What's the other part # for Esso LT71141? As far as I know, G052990A2 is the only one. The other part #s are either for the Jatco fluid, the DSG fluid or the Aisin fluid.

Not other PN for Esso, other versions? Understand the difference. You'll figure it out.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not other PN for Esso, other versions? Understand the difference. You'll figure it out.

I find this quite amusing. Do you know what 71141 is? I do but due to my circumstances, I'm prohibited from telling you. Sorry to tease, but there you go!

You do the same.

I also don't care to hold Critic's hand. Glad to see you took over!

The VW part no. for ESSO LT 71141 is G052 162 A1/A2. Not sure what G052 990 A2 is but I doubt seriously that it is 71141. Other automakers have their own part no's for the same fluid. The ESSO PDS refers to 71141 as "part synthetic".

I have two ESSO PDS's for LT 71141 and one gives a viscosity of 7.3 cSt and the other 7.4 cSt at 100°C. Those are probably typical values.

Just an update. Have been using in Panthers for years. It explicitly states Mercon V certification. Hard to argue @ $3.50 per quart as of today if you get 12 qt cases at your local distributor. I usually stop for 4 cases of MV ATF and one case of Delo gear oil, and the whole process is quicker than China-Mart. Sometimes Costco carries it in my area too.

There is not a whole lot of difference between M&D fluids. That is why the multi vehicle fluids and they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back