Good hand spreader for lime, seed, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

In 2006, I bought an el cheapo hand-powered whirlybird broadcast spreader. I think I got it at Ace Hardware.

It jams most every time I use it. Pulverized lime will jam it, but even small grass seed will cause it to shear and not work properly without a lot of effort.

So in HD the other day, I saw a nice looking Scott's handheld spreader. It had a nicer little spinner inside of the holding bucket, so I thought it might be better.

I was spreading pulverized lime this evening, and it just jammed up. I was gentle, working back and forth, and without much power at all, the handle sheared off.

Worse yet, the whole assembly is jammed! Even when empty!

My parents had a much smaller version they got from AGWAY years ago. I doubt its available any more.

Any suggestions for a good quality, preferably made in USA handheld, hand-powered spreader?

Thanks!

JMH

I'm not sure what you mean by pulverized lime, but if that means powdered lime, you would be better off buying granular/pellitized lime at a farm elevator or other real farm supply store. I think it is 90% active ingredient and comes in 50 lbs. bags. I can't remember the price, but I think it should be under $13/bag....not sure with the recent huge fertilizer price increases tied to oil, ethanol, etc..

Spyker, Solo, Earthway,and Warren spreaders are among the best. But, look to spend about $75 (Solo) to about $130 to buy one.

A google search should give you pictures and prices. Just type in "brand" hand spreader

Last edited:
pelletized... sorry, that is what I meant. I was typing fast because dinner was ready.

Thanks for the leads! Im not sure I want to spend $75 for a hand sprader, but then again, if its not frustrating to use, I may use it more often... for lime. Not sure how we are going to handle fertilizer long-term... we want a 'natural' lawn...

Thanks!

JMH

me too. seemed better made and smoother running than my other one... until it plugged up.

Im suprised they plug at all. It shouldnt be that tough of stuff to move.

Does your scotts look like this:

10204749_p.jpg

Last edited:
I spread stuff by hand as the last spreader that I used broke the first day that I used it. Years ago people use to complain about products made with machined die castings as being 'cheap pot metal', but nothing seems as bad as the current cheap plastic Chinese trash.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Mine's the ergonomic model

blast! that's what I just got and what broke...

JMH

I too spread it by hand. I know it's considered a terrible way to do it with fertilizer, 'cause you can burn the grass, but I do it with the hand cupped upward and shake it around. I get decent results. The fertilizer I now use is too coarse to use through the drop spreader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back