Si ~ 1
Mg ~ 5
Ca ~ 1429
P ~ 528
Zn ~ 589
Viscosity 100C ~ 12.2
Oxidation ~ 15.00
Nitration ~ 11.0

All other counts were 0. The sample of this oil is the same batch as posted in UOA, production date 08/2005. The stuff thins out quickly, my 6k UOA shows 11.3 Vis at 100C. This oil is also known as Castrol SLX III.

thanks for the VOA,
I have been out of VWs since a neighbor tried to kill mine with a truck. Both lost, but I got to see the truck's axle go flying across the field. That aside, I used to know all the VW oils in detail, this one does not match what I remember.

Do you know which VW vehicles that are targeted by this oil?

Originally Posted By: wjdell
Al ~ 3
Si ~ 1
Mg ~ 5
Ca ~ 1429
P ~ 528
Zn ~ 589
Viscosity 100C ~ 12.2
Oxidation ~ 15.00
Nitration ~ 11.0

All other counts were 0. The sample of this oil is the same batch as posted in UOA, production date 08/2005. The stuff thins out quickly, my 6k UOA shows 11.3 Vis at 100C. This oil is also known as Castrol SLX III.

I think that VW is going with the 5w-30 oils across the range for their new vehicles. I am sure that there will be exceptions, but the VW LongLife III (SLX III) should be the new oil for dealerships.
I think they used to use Castrol Syntec 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: StoicDude
I think they used to use Castrol Syntec 5w-40.

My VW/Audi dealer still uses Syntec 5W40. They still use the 1qt black bottles...no bulk oil.

IMO - VW and several other engine builders along with Castrol had several objectives. A oil that would hold up under the most extreme conditions, be able to be used in just about any engine on on the planet, not plug up emission systems, and in fact reduce emissions. In a sense they have idiot proof oil. It will work in almost any VW engine, one oil for all. If you found the UOA you can see that the 30 is more like a 38. This oil had a starting cSt of 12.2. 12.5 is a 40. IMO the key is the base oil. 504/507 and also CJ4 are the best base oils ever packaged for the masses. I do not believe the target they have set for drain intervals will come. What started out as a projected 30 k miles, is already down to 20k. There are people that will be able to achieve this, but for most, I doubt it. The majority will find that between 12k and 16k is about it. Some will only get 7k, it depends on the geographical location, the engines condition and the loads its put under. It is reasonable in price, about $6.75.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back