aerosol has no pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you do when you have a can that is half full of stuff but can't get it out because it has no pressure? Sometimes it will piddle out a little, but not much.

Can I give it a shot of butane? Will that make it go again? Good idea/bad idea? I know, Iknow, it's WD40, and not worth much, but I hate to throw anything away.
Thanks

Ok, since no one knows the answer, I'll tell you. Go to the WD40 site, contact them and they'll send a new can. Not that I need a new can, or another can, but that is the solution.

Anyone ever drill a hole in a half full can?

I once had a WD40 can do this. Since there was no pressure, I drilled a small hole and drained the contents into a reusable spray can that is pressurized by your air pump. Worked great and these cans are available at places like Harbor Frieght tools for a few dollars. You could also drain the fluid into a regular old pump spray bottle.

I alway just squeeze a dent into the can to compress the gas inside. It works for a while. Then, just squeeze again.

I like the Harbor Freight do it yourself spray cans too. Cheap, easy to refill, and if it goes flat just pump it up again. Good idea on the denting the can; I never thought of that.

I know a guy who used to take various spray cans, sit them on the ground on some crumpled newspaper, light the crumpled newspaper on fire, then shoot the can with a bb gun from some distance away. When the big whoosh came we'd all yell yah buddy look at 'er burn! (Note this stunt was certainly not performed by a professional, but still, don't try it at home).
smile.gif

I'll tell you what I do: I take out the Dremmel, install the cut-off wheel, and cut the top of the can off. After that, I pour it into a spray bottle or squeeze bottle.

How do you like that for the perfect answer huh?
grin.gif

P.S. Always wear eye protection.

I am most pleasantly surprised that other men do the same as I.
If it is some good stuff, puncture the can and pour; most seem to lose pressure over the years.
That refillable can from Harbor Freight is a **** good idea for a shop; We used CRC from a gallon can - this may be much cheaper that using aerosols.
BTW, unless a man is a total klutz, there is no need for these "safety glasses'..
However one should always be conscious of his surroundings and concentrate on his task at hand.

earthworm wrote:

"BTW, unless a man is a total klutz, there is no need for these "safety glasses'.."

The cut-off wheels used on Dremmels are spinning at 30,000 RPM and they are quite delicate, meaning they can shatter into 10 pieces at any moment. So yes, I highly recommend that anyone using power tools, wear eye protection. The last time I checked, they haven't invented a fully functional replacement set of human eyes.

Much , much better to use a hack saw to cut open the can, and it operation will probably take the same time and effort - and no silly need for safety glasses.
Using a delicate cutter is too risky..

Well, I've always been taught, and have read many times, never to use a saw, torch, or cutting wheel to cut into a metal container containing a flammable substance or vapor, especially if the container might be pressurized. A spark can result in an explosion. That's why its fun to shoot such things with a .22 when they're
empty -- to watch them blow up because of the flammable vapor left in the can.

Final follow up...a few days after receiving an email from WD40 saying she'd request a can to be sent, I got a letter from them with a $1.25 coupon in it. Wow.

BUT yesterday arrived a huge can, 16oz, it cost them $4.73 to ship it to me. Too bad it does not have the new straw nozzle on it. Oh well...they did a great job at customer service.

a little off-topic.
I have seen 2 different press releases that WD-40 is introducing 2 different ways of storing the straw. one is a special rubber band with an extra loop to hold the straw.
the other is a special nozzle that hold the nozzle permantly and folds down the straw against the side of the can.
I have seen neither of these on the market and the press releases are over a year old. has anyone seen these new WD-40 cans?

Spray the straw with WD-40, then tape the straw to the can with a short piece of duct tape that's not quite pulled tight. The goo on the tape will soften just a bit where the WD hits it, and the straw will stay put except when you pull it out.

I know this topic is old but just came across it. I have had many cans lose their pressure. I just give them a shot of compressed air into the can. I push down the spray button and use a rubber tipped blow gun and give it a couple of quick blasts of air and the can is up and running for a couple of shots until it has to be recharged again. Note: do not over pressurize the can or it might blow .

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
I know this topic is old but just came across it. I have had many cans lose their pressure. I just give them a shot of compressed air into the can. I push down the spray button and use a rubber tipped blow gun and give it a couple of quick blasts of air and the can is up and running for a couple of shots until it has to be recharged again. Note: do not over pressurize the can or it might blow .

Good idea. I just looked at my WD40 aerosol can. It's a DOT 2Q class container (it's printed in small print near the can seam).

Burst pressure is 270+ psi
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/...9cfr178.33a.pdf

I can't find the working pressure but it's something over 100 psi.

Rather amazing for a can that is as thin as 0.008 inches.

But won't the air upset the flux continuum ?

You need one of those nitrogen things that increase your mileage 20%, and rejuvenate the leaking seams on your can.

I'm a better safe than sorry kind of guy. What if the can is under pressure, but the stem is debris plugged? Throw out the can! For a couple of dollars, it's not worth the risk. Every one of you is worth so much more that the can of stuff you are trying to save. Just throw it out.

I've also used the hacksaw method.And then poured the contents into a small spray bottle, as others have said.

Easy fix:

Recharge it with computer cleaning spray/canned air. Most straws fit all aerosol nozzles- connect the WD40 can to an upside down cleaning spray can, and pull both triggers. You get a charge of inert, high vapor pressure liquid, fully miscible with WD40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back