API SL mean anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does an API service SL donut on an oil bottle indicate that the oil inside is actually good? I looked at the API webpage and understand that SL is the newest rating and it means that the oil passes certain standards of the API and whatnot, so my real question is how strict are these API tests? If an oil passes API SL does that mean it's generally 'good enough' for a non-high performance application (i.e. a daily driver). There seem to be lots of no name generic dino oils for like a buck a quart that have this symbol on the package.

The newest API category (which just came out recently) is SM actually. SL originally came out a couple of years ago.

Passing the SL spec is easy for pretty much any oil to do. The SM and GF4 specs are a little tougher, so those oils are certainly a step up.

SL would be fine for your daily driver. Like Patman was saying, SM and GF-4 will be a better spec., especially with regards to cold start properties. Since this is a transition period many oils are there already and the label doesn't reflect it and few if any display SM yet.

Look for a GF-4 on the packaging if you want an oil with better cold start properties for Winter and don't want to go the synthetic route.

You are probably looking for a 5W-30 that meets GF-4 with Winter coming on.

SL/GF-3 is fine for me, but I think for a very cold Winter, the GF-4 might be a benefit for you, if cold crank is an issue. The rest of the year no biggie.

[ December 08, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back