Mobil1 5w30 EP/Extended Performance/Grp III or IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might M1 5W-30 EP use some combination of?:
Extra High Viscosity Index PAO (it's how Supersyn name started)
Typical viscosity PAO
Group 3 produced from Slack Wax (like Shell's XHVI Group 3)
Alkylated Napthalene
One or more esters
Polyalkylene glycol (doubt it but possible in small amount)

Some Group 3's have shown increased potential for longer drain intervals than some PAO's? It's also gone the other way. It depends on the specific PAO and specific Group 3 and also what test is conducted on them. This data is on the internet.

As I said in my first post in this thread, forget thinking you can predict performance of a synthetic by thinking you know what base oils it uses. What you think it is is probably wrong. Even if right, still no good predictions.

I am sure it does use many combinations that they won't talk about. My point is if they were using mostly PAO, which most people think are better than group III, that Mobil would tout it or at least mention it on their web site. What it actually says for Mobil 1 is :uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins(From their FAQ section)

Are you saying PAO's are not usually better than Group III (not taking into account any additives)

Last edited:
"Are you saying PAO's are not usually better than Group III (not taking into account any additives)."
PAO's generally excel the best Group 3 in cold cranking performance. Same for NOACK volatility for the same viscosity fluids. I've never seen test data saying otherwise. But oxidative stability has gone either way as I said. If the motor oil is a 0W-X, then using PAO vs even the best Group 3 is very advantageous (and sometimes necessary if volatility must be less than some amount) because 0W-X oils need to have excellent cold cranking performance. But if the oil is 10W-X synthetic, the game changes.

"Are you saying their Supersyn additive package includes PAO?" I'm saying that when Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1 became Supersyn Mobil 1, the main reason for naming it this was because Mobil put in it their Extra High Viscosity Index PAO that was called Supersyn. They've since changed the name of that PAO line but the Supersyn Mobil 1 oils still use this type of PAO (in quite low percentage because it has a very high viscosity, not just high viscosity INDEX). The purpose of this PAO is to increase film thickness in boundary lubrication for a given viscosity motor oil.

Yes, that article you posted is a good one. Kudos!

Here's a different article. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114190186/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Quote:
The results also showed a surprisingly high oxidation stability for turbine oils formulated with Group III base stock, with the oxidation resistance of the Group III systems exceeding that of the equivalent Group II and Group IV systems.

thanks for the info Jag. You sound very informed.

I could not see the article you posted. Is it a member or pay deal?

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
Back to the start of this thread. Does anyone know if there is any difference in performance, real life performance between Mobil 1 and EP? The package is different and the price is too. Would M1 for warranty intervals be a better choice than EP?

I have not had a successful extended performance OCI with the EP that would make me purchase it over the standard M1. The standard M1 last fine in my engines out beyond 12k miles, but that is the longest I have had the regular M1. The EP did not show any better at 12K in my Honda, Lincoln and Dodge than the regualr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back