castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
sprintman - Yes, the excellent Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 was on their "target" list they said. I do like that Shell product, I've used it for years (as a 15w-50 too) it is excellent!

So at that rate it will need to be around $45-$50 for 5 litres

I've seen 5 litre packs of M1 0w-40 for over $100!

Still, the Castrol Edge 0w-40 looks to be good stuff!

Last edited:
It's PAO if Castrol tech are to be believed. The Helix 5W40 Group III will get me through the RX clean on my BMW which will take me up to next summer. Then another 4,000kms on the same oil for rinse phase, then I'm open to new ideas.

Doug

I value your opinion. All things being equal which would you pick whilst the subject is hot on the table.

1. Shell Helix 5w-40 SM new formulation (you may seen the recent post Shell Helix answer to Additives) or

2. The new Mobil 3000 X2 5w-40

thanks

Virginoil

Last edited:
Hi,
virginoil - sadly I would probably buy on price - they are (will be with 3000 X2) both great products!

I do like the Shell range of Group 3 lubricants. They have been a leader in "synthetics" for many many years

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Castrol 0w40
5L cost $72
Specifications and Approvals
API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB-Approval 229.5
Typical Properties
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 79.4
cSt @ 100º C 13.5
Pour Point -54
Total Base Number (TBN) 10.2
MRV at -35ºC 5800
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.7

Edge 0W-40 is 229.3 approved, not 229.5 (just like the Formula R Spec before it).

There's still some debate as to whether the 10W-60 is a "real" PAO synthetic. That grade is also marketed as "Edge Sport" just like the other mineral / Group 3 grades.

Mobil Super 3000 X2 5W-40 looks decent. Any chance it will hit the U.S.?

I was surfing on Castrol Germany website and found out SLX Longtec 0W-40
shocked.gif

ACEA A3/B3
ACEA A3/B4
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-01
VW 502 00, 505 00
MB-Freigabe 229.3 und 229.5
Porsche (außer Cayenne V6)
erfüllt Ford WSS-M2C937-A

Test Method(s) Unit Typical
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml .841
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 13.5
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 79.3
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 169
Viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) ASTM D5293 cP 5800
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 240
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -57
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.7

It has similar specs to Shell Helix 0W-40 though...

Any thoughts on this oil? Looks like it's PAO (Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W-40 ist ein vollsynthetisches Motorenöl). I've heard great comments about Longtec, but only about 0W-30.

I'm planning to switch back to 0W-40 grade, but I don't want to use low-saps oil in my petrol engine (BMW LL01 is a must), so this is one of the contenders)))

It costs here the same as M1 0W-40, Shell is a bit cheaper, but very close as well.

Last edited:
It's only Castrol. I'd dismiss it out of hand just for that and there are excellent oils of this grade out there.

These are a few of the oils I'd consider (besides Mobil 1, Shell, etc.):

RAVENOL Super Synthetic Leichtlaufoel SSL 0w40

DIVINOL Syntholight 0w40

Liqui Moly Synthoil Energy 0w40

Bear in mind one or more of these oils might be related. I don't remember where I know this from but I think Ravenol may be a basestock supplier for Liqui Moly.

Hi,
maersk - You said:

"It's only Castrol. I'd dismiss it out of hand just for that and there are excellent oils of this grade out there."

With respect this comment adds nothing to this Thread!

This is about Castrol's 0W-40 which is an excellent product with a very long and successful history - some versions (up to four) of which have had World Wide Porsche Approval for nearly a decade!

Castrol's product range and their R&D are/is as good if not much better that the alternatives that you proffer!

I don't believe there is an approved 0W-40 grade that has better spec's to M1 0W-40.
All the alternative oil's mentioned have lower HTHS vis' values and
much lower VI's. The only exception that I know of is Shell's Helex
0W-40 with it's VI of 187 vs M1's 185 but it is a bit lighter with it's HTHS vis of 3.68cP vs M1's 3.8cP.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
maersk - You said:

"It's only Castrol. I'd dismiss it out of hand just for that and there are excellent oils of this grade out there."

With respect this comment adds nothing to this Thread!

This is about Castrol's 0W-40 which is an excellent product with a very long and successful history - some versions (up to four) of which have had World Wide Porsche Approval for nearly a decade!

Castrol's product range and their R&D are/is as good if not much better that the alternatives that you proffer!

Hi.

Castrol are my pet peeve.

I do not trust them. I despise them.

Their marketing is almost insulting in how they arrogantly presume to [censored] you about "intelligent molecules" and what not like you're some child. They mislabel their products and routinely deb in false advertising (I've come across jugs of "Chemically modified base oil" labelled "Fully Synthetic").

Even though this particular offering of theirs is, in all likelihood, rather good, most of their oils are mediocre at best (GTX, Magnatec, much of the Edge line as well).

And if all that isn't enough, they're owned by [censored]'s own oil company, along with Aral.

Furthermore, Ravenol, Liqui Moly and Divinol have had Porsche A40 and other demanding specs compliant oils for a long time and I'm sure more oils and lubricant companies would step up to the plate if tested.

Espescially as certification expires and Liqui Moly, at least, usually does not seek to renew. The A40 certification expired for a lot of their oils in 2009.

That doesn't mean you're not buying a Porsch A40 oil. Just that they removed the spec from the certifications list, as they should, and won't pay twice for the same thing.

Hi,
maersk - You said this:

"Even though this particular offering of theirs is, in all likelihood, rather good, most of their oils are mediocre at best (GTX, Magnatec, much of the Edge line as well)."

It remains for you now to justify such a bold and sweeping statement - about the product that is the topic of this Thread - Castrol 0W-40!

I have a very different viewpoint to this and have worked in developing some of their products over several decades. Some of Castrol's products are still in the top tier - even those that were initially developed many years ago!

Last edited:
Castrol 0w-30 Euro is A3 LL-01

Castrol 5w-40 is A3 LL-98.

Works for me.

Would try the 0w-40 if I could get it.

Hi,
maersk - You said this:

"Even though this particular offering of theirs is, in all likelihood, rather good, most of their oils are mediocre at best (GTX, Magnatec, much of the Edge line as well)."

It remains for you now to justify such a bold and sweeping statement - about the product that is the topic of this Thread - Castrol 0W-40!

I know first hand Magnatec sucks. I've used it when I was way less knowledgeable and listened to my mechanic for my oil choice. I think I can even attribute a slight piston slap to that time.

With the oil and additives I use now the engine runs 10% cooler (72~73°C vs. 80°C) irrespective of the weather and with higher antifreeze concentration (just as LM claimed), starts easier and revs noticeably more freely and runs quieter - which a lot of other people (even women on their own) have also noticed after switching from Castrol to what I use, per my advice.

Of even the Edge line-up, I can only ascertain 0w40 as a synthetic ("Synthetic base stock. Proprietary performance additives."), as one might expect from its pour point and cold temperature performance.

Of the rest a few are PAO/HC blend, at best("Chemically modified base oil. Proprietary performance additives."). Most are refined mineral, HC or blend. Fairly certain there's no 5w40 synthetic from Castrol. They'll only use synthetic base stocks when there's absolutely no way to cheap out with HC.

I have a very different viewpoint to this and have worked in developing some of their products over several decades. Some of Castrol's products are still in the top tier - even those that were initially developed many years ago!

Then would you care to explain the "intelligent molecules" schtick when advertising mineral oils (at best blend of refined mineral and hydrocracked for the GTX and Magnatec lines)?

And which oils are those, from Castrol? And what makes them better than homologues from Liqui Moly, Ravenol, Mobil 1, etc.

Liqui Moly too has/has had approvals and certification from most all European manufacturers. And so do lots of other lubricants, from other companies. The way I see it, a good oil will meet the specs but meeting the specs, a good oil does not necessarily make.

Here's one of their hydrocracked offerings. Notice the clear distinction they make among different basestocks, on the left?

Top Tec 4100 5w40

Specifications / Approvals:

API SM/CF
ACEA A3-04/B4-04/C3-04
MB-Approval 229.31
BMW Longlife-04
VW 505 00/502 00
Porsche A40
Ford WSS M2C 917-A

LIQUI MOLY recommends this product for vehicles for which the following specifications are required:

VW 505 01
Fiat 9.55535-S2 / 9.55535-H2 / 9.55535-M2

Notice also the clear distinction between certifications and the "advised in applications calling for" category. As they expire, the certifications will be moved to the latter. Or maybe that's where they place less demanding specs which are contained in others, that the oil does meet.

Why should I esteem or award my business to a company that treats me like a dolt deserving only to be parted from his money? Who insults my intelligence with ads about "intelligent molecules" and outright lies about its product being fully synthetic when it's a HydroCracked basestock?

And they're owned by BP, no less.

Here's a stellar example of what Castrol, a pox be upon them, understand Fully Synthetic to be:

How's that for truth in advertising?
smile.gif

Not even hydrocracked like Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 A1 ("Highly refined base stock Proprietary performance additives").

They do take due diligence in touting the full syntheticness of their few actual synthetics, though:

Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

Synthetic base stock. Proprietary performance additives.

Castrol Edge 0w30

"Fully synthetic technology"

General Error

This safety data sheet is currently not available in ,

Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 0w30

Poly-alpha-olefin Proprietary performance additives

Whatever others there may be.

Originally Posted By: maersk
Here's a stellar example of what Castrol, a pox be upon them, understand Fully Synthetic to be:

How's that for truth in advertising?
smile.gif

Not even hydrocracked like Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 A1 ("Highly refined base stock Proprietary performance additives").

They do take due diligence in touting the full syntheticness of their few actual synthetics, though:

Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

Synthetic base stock. Proprietary performance additives.

Castrol Edge 0w30

"Fully synthetic technology"

General Error

This safety data sheet is currently not available in ,

Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 0w30

Poly-alpha-olefin Proprietary performance additives

Whatever others there may be.

As far as I know, European EDGE 0W-30, SLX Professional Longtec 0W-30 & 0W-40 are Gr.4 oils.

I know there are many great oils out there, but I'm interested only in info about Longtec 0W-40
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back