1999 Valkyrie F6 best OIL TO USE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 1999 Valkyrie, liquid cooled and wet clutch,(really cherry) it has 19,000 mi on her. OH, by the way I live in PHX AZ. very HOT!!!! I've heard so many good things about synthetic oil. Does anyone else own a Valkyrie or have a opinion on what would be the best synthetic oil to use in my Flat Head Six? I've been told the Valkyrie is pretty much bullet proof if the oil is changed regularly. I have buddies who own Gold Wings who swear by the Mobile 1 who have gotten 150,000 to 200,000 miles with no engine problems at all.I have heard and read so many good things about the Amsoil. Honda told me to put in the Honda HP 4 part synthetic and part conventional first before I switch to a full synthetic. Please give me your insight on the choice of the best oil for my lady and the best oil filter.

Thanks, Thor

40ford

How hot is it where you live? How old is your Valk and how many miles do you have on it. How long have you been using Rotella. I have heard about rotella, but not a whole lot about it.

Thor

Rotella (either white jug or blue jug) is a HDEO, a diesel oil.
Can be used in gasoline engines to, and does it well.
Stand up to cycle oil pretty well and it's fairly cheap at Wally World(it maybe on a different shelf than car oil).
White jug is 14W-40 convetional oil
Blue jug is 5W-40 synthetic oi.
If you go anywhere near the miles on an oil change that Honda
recommends, you would be wise to go with the synthetic.
The white jug Rotella is usually good for 4-5000 mile oil changes.
My 2¢

Any thoughts on the Amsoil? All the tests that I have seen on independant testers shows Amsoil to out perform all of the rest.

Anyone ever use it?

Originally Posted By: ThorsValkyrie
Any thoughts on the Amsoil? All the tests that I have seen on independant testers shows Amsoil to out perform all of the rest.

Anyone ever use it?

I've used it -- it's great oil. It's expensive and a pain in the butt to purchase. But it'll do right by you.

I tend towards Rotella simple because I can easily justify the $9 every 3K miles and sleep well at night.

Thor, I live in the mountains of NE Tennessee. I ride between 40F to 95F. Just rode to Bike week in Daytona and on to Key West. Saw temps 28F to 84F on the trip.

I have used 5w-40 Rotella synthetic in 3 motorcycles. Also use it in my 73 XKE V12 Jag roadster also. For the price it can not be beat IMO.

40ford

Last edited:
"All the tests that I have seen on independant testers shows Amsoil to out perform all of the rest."
Those tests were run FOR Amsoil and they use them for advertising purposes.
They may be accurate, I don't know, but for most people any good quality synthetic oil will serve you well.

Some of those tests also show that common easy to get/reasonably priced oil does almost as good on most of those tests.

Another vote for Rotella. I do break-ins with the white bottle, then move to the blue bottle, which is a Group III oil, as I understand it, after that.

I use these in motorcycle road racing applications over several bikes over several years. It is easy to get, and the price is very, very reasonable.

I run rotella in my bikes.

There are uoa's on here of 8,000 miles on the dino 15w40 with great results.

The M1 older red cap 15w50 was used for years by many people in many different bikes. I believe a lot (but not all) are leaning more towards the hdeo's (rotella, mobil delvac 1300, chevron delo 400 15w40's) as they have pretty stout add packs and give great wear numbers and are less expensive than the boutique oils.

Many have raved how well the amsoil line of motorcycle oils are. I have never tried them. I usually drain my zx9 around 2000-2500 miles so I cant justify spending the $$$ for something I wont get a long term benefit from by draining early.

M1 vtwin 20W50 is touted as a very good oil, good add pack as well. around $8/quart. Would love to trt it but when I can get a gallon (4 quarts) of rotella or one of the other hdeo's for the price of 1 quart of the the other oil's that perform as good as the other expensive ones the choice is kinda easy at least for me.

Just because the bottle has a picture of a motorcycle on the front doesnt mean it will be better than ones that dont have it on the bottle. Of course the manufacturers will love you if you buy the oil with the picture on the front of it........

Last edited:
I used Mobil 15W50 redcap then switched over to Rotella 15W40 (dino HDEO) in my '98 Valkyrie, no problems at all. Always used the Honda oil filter since I knew for a fact that it was a high quality filter (unlike the Honda car oil filters).

I wouldn't be too concerned about heat in the flat six, (its not a flat head engine BTW, but a horizontally opposed six or boxer engine with overhead cams... a beauty to be sure). These engines are under-stressed and run cool. The only time my cooling fan came on was when entering city traffic on a hot day following a fast highway run.

Eventhough I don't own one any longer and have since moved on to strictly dual sports I still regard the Valkyrie as one of the finest motorcycles ever built, and still believe it has the highest performance of any cruiser to this day. Enjoy your ride.

Any of these three Amsoil products will work just fine: AMO 10W-40, AME 15W-40 (available in Gallons) or their 20W-50 product (I've used them all in my ZX-11 & Valkyrie Interstate).

Suitable for extended (way more than 2 or 3K) drains, too!

Cheers!

p.s. Be sure to change out your diff to Amsoil gear oil, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back