How does Redline D4 stack up against Asmoil ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any thoughts on the Redline D4 ATF? How does it compare to the Amsoil offering? I noticed that the viscosity index of the Redline D4 ATF is much higher. Would this be due to viscosity improvers? I have read here that viscosity improvers increase shear. Is this true?

It is true that some viscosity index improvers (the polymeric kind) can shear. However, the fact that Red Line D4 ATF has a higher viscosity index doesn't necessarily mean it contains such VIIs. Its higher viscosity index could easily be due to a difference in basestock.

Either way, I am interested in hearing feedback on this subject as well.

The viscosity index improvers in an ATF are special VII's and not the same ones used in PCMO's.

As for Redline, I would say the large VI is due to its synthetic base fluids.

Amsoil and Redline ATF are both fully synthetic. If the difference in viscosity is 100% related to the base oils, would that mean that the Redline ATF is more robust?

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
No it means the the base oil for Redline is group V ester while for Amsoil is group IV PAO.

Well, pretty close. It means that Redline uses more Group V with it's PAO than Amsoil does. Contrary to popular belief Redline is not 100% ester. (You can tell by the price). I would say that perhaps Redline uses more ester than Amsoil. Does this mean it's a better ATF? I've never seen a shoot out our any meaningful side by side testing.

I disagree. WHile Redline does contain a mix of synthetic oils, it is a mix of PAO's (Group IV) and esters (group V).

"If the difference in viscosity is 100% related to the base oils, would that mean that the Redline ATF is more robust?"

No, it just means a different mix of base oils were used to arrive at this VI.

"No it means the the base oil for Redline is group V ester while for Amsoil is group IV PAO. "

I disagree. WHile Redline does contain a mix of synthetic oils, it is a mix of PAO's (Group IV) and esters (group V).

I have used both Redline D4 and Amsoil ATF, I felt that the Amsoil ATF was better but the problem was I did an Auto-Rx cleaning and then went to Amsoil ATF so it's hard for me to say that the shifting and everything else is better, is it Amsoil ATF or is it the Auto-Rx cleaning, I have noticed that the Amsoil does have a strong smell, I remember reading on here that a guy who tried both liked the Amsoil ATF the best.

I have Redline D4 in wife's 2003 Honda Accord for last 10 k miles. No noted difference in shift quality compared with Amsoil ATF ran previously for 20k miles. I posted report on Amsoil, and Blackstone recommended running fluid out another 8k miles based on sample. I was not impressed in that did auto rx treatment and complete flush before putting Amsoil in transmission and was hoping fluid would last longer.

Honda auto transmission designs are similar to Manual transmission as they use constant mesh-helical and square cut gears. The action of the clutches is similar to the action of the synchronizer assemblies in a manual transaxle. Redline has a GL4 gear rating and Dave at Redline said the additive package is safe to use with Honda transmissions. I am interested in comparing sample with previous Amsoil ATF. The car has about 92k miles on it now.

If I'm not mistaken Amsoil ATF claims to play in the DEX VI space. Redline D4 is not intended for DEX VI use.

Redline has a specific version to address the DEX VI which is Redline D6.

Given the above, if my application called for example a true DEX III, then I would in fact pick Redline D4.

For better or worse, this is the rational of many in BMW circles whom are looking for the best version of what once used to be the DEX III spec.

DEX VI is a thinner offering.

I keep hearing nothing but good things about Amsoil ATF, but I do wonder if anything was changed in that it is now also stated for use in DEX VI applications. Pablo?

Dave at Redline also said Redline D6 could be used in Honda transmission. I wondered why Redline D6 (486 F) has a significantly higher flashpoint than Redline D4 (437 F) Dave said additive packages are similar, just use different philosophy with starting with lower viscosity. I wonder if Redline D6 would provide better fuel economy, it is also Gl4 rated. I do like that Redline made two different applications as opposed to having a "catch-all" fluid to meet Dextron III and 6.

spider,

Are you sure he said D6? It would be more likely that he said D4 since that is what they publish in their Synthetic A.T. Fluids Data Sheet.

To clarify...Dave recommended the D4 for the Honda Accord. I asked him specifically about the D6, and he said while he would not neccessarily recommend it, it should be ok to use for optimal fuel economy. Again, he only recommended the D4 without me asking anything. I asked him about the D6's higher flashpoint, and he indicated a slightly different mix of basestock. I would suspect it would have a higher ester content.

In the past I have had great results with the Red Line D4! I have it in my 92 chevy sub and also run it in my 96 SS camaro T-56. I have yet to use the Amsoil ATF but would love to see someone on here come up with a UOA so that we can all see the real world results. Anyone???

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
In the past I have had great results with the Red Line D4! I have it in my 92 chevy sub and also run it in my 96 SS camaro T-56. I have yet to use the Amsoil ATF but would love to see someone on here come up with a UOA so that we can all see the real world results. Anyone???

Chemical analysis doesn't always tell the whole story.

You bring up a good point and I agree when it comes to Red Line especially. I have always had great results with their trans fluids and upon tear down everything looks very nice. I am not a huge fan of the UOA every oil change, nor do I believe it will give you a total view of an oils overall performance.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79

You bring up a good point and I agree when it comes to Red Line especially. I have always had great results with their trans fluids and upon tear down everything looks very nice. I am not a huge fan of the UOA every oil change, nor do I believe it will give you a total view of an oils overall performance.

OEMs do a lot of dyno and fleet testing on the approved oil fill, often out to 150,000 miles and beyond. I tend to trust the approved oil fill more than Redline for those reasons. Redline simply does not have the resources to conduct such testing.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Dave at Redline also said Redline D6 could be used in Honda transmission. I wondered why Redline D6 (486 F) has a significantly higher flashpoint than Redline D4 (437 F) Dave said additive packages are similar,

That's scary. Dexron-VI is very different compared to Dexron-III(H). It's supposed to have more consistent frictional properties compared to III(H). If Redline's additive packages are extremely similar for the two, something tells me that they may not be meeting the VI spec.

Quote:
Redline simply does not have the resources to conduct such testing.

You sure about that? Please share some actual facts to back it up if you are.

And saying "they're a small company" doesn't prove it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back