Snow Blower belts - durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am having problems with ice jamming my snow blower. As I was trying to find the problem the belt was slipping of course. At one point I smelled a burning rubber. Even after I cleaned the housing free of ice it still started slipping again.

That got me thinking, how durable are belts in snow blowers that transfer motor power to auger and impeller. I have a chain to wheels, but a belt to auger. How often do you change your belt(s) in your snow blowers? What about chains? Are they lifetime?

On a side note, how are folks doing? We've got some insane storms, all the way from Texas; half a meter (1.7') of snow in Ottawa this weekend.

In heavy snow I would say it to be normal to have some slippage.Think of it as a cushion for the auger system.

Mine are more than 10 years old. I have never replaced them, but I should check them out so I am not replacing them in a blizzard.

Sure, I understand that it SHOULD slip under heavy snow. I actually went out to clear this single snowfall 3 times in order to reduce the load.
What I am not sure about is when a belt is due for replacement. I was just looking at a parts list and seems I have 2 belts.

Depends on the blower.

You have pulleys, bearings, and idlers.

If you have problems with any of them, misalignment can occur, and that can cause slippage, heat, and wear that is unnecessary.

Some manufacturers use bushings rather than bearings. Some have arms for engagement idlers that even bend. Probably a good idea just to look it all over.

Second belt should be an input into the drive mechanism. It can have similar issues.

The belts on my 1986 Toro were replaced two years ago. Initially they were too tight but after going over the machine properly I feel they are now correctly adjusted.

They don't appear to slip under any circumstances. I could feed heavy, slushy EOD (plow pile) into the chute until the engine stalls from what I can tell. It doesn't usually get anywhere near this serious but I'm not easy on the machine either - I don't spare it a good workout

For what its worth, the machine required a new circular bearing behind the impeller. This should be checked for play with the belt removed. Belt tension tends to wear this bearing and the impeller will start to change position in the impeller housing.

That light, fluffy stuff from this weekend was nothing. There were drifts up to the gas tank and the engine barely laboured when throwing something like 60'. This is an 8hp 24" Toro. From the snowblower's perspective that was a walk in the park. It's the heavy, wet stuff that gets challenging for the machine.

Last edited:
Well I have a 10hp Tecumseh which broke so many shear bolts, I lost count. I can hear thumping sound when it is under heavy load, but it never stalls. It is other parts which concern me, such as impeller failing. It was working fine for the past 7 years, so I assume belt is worn out. Of course, will have to check other things as well.

Me too, snow above fuel tank, nice and light. The problem is a layer of ice at the bottom. Seems chunks of ice are jamming impeller, getting stuck between impeller and housing. So might be a loose bearing too.

This winter has certainly tested our snow machines
frown.gif

There should be no space between the impeller and housing for anything to jam, ideally.

Look into a "Clarence impeller retrofit kit" from http://smllengns.tripod.com/ while you're doing your overhaul.

I just added one this past fall and it's improved performance and reduced clogs from frequent to never. This particular Toro of mine was prone to clogs in a certain viscosity of EOD crud that was common in my area. This kit fixed it right up. Make sure your impeller bearing/bushing is in good shape or your impeller won't be centered in the housing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back