VW 2.0 oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeting to all,I'm new to the forum and hope this subject has not been beaten to death already.My wife's 2001 Golf(AVH 2.0L engine),has consumed 1 quart per 3k miles since new,it is now at 52K.This engine was broken-in as instructed and serviced by the dealer(GTX 5w-30)till 20K miles.Since then I have taken care of oil changes a 5K intervals,using Synpower 5w-40,with the last change using Motul x-cess 5w-40(which it seems to consume a little more of). We live in Central Ca.with mild temps. and the car is sujected to a 300 mile weekly heavy commute.Is this a high consumption rate,and is there a better oil out there for this engine under the conditions it driven? The reason I went with my choices was these were the only 2 I could find that satisfied the VW 502.00-505.00 spec in the recomended weight. Thanks John

Hi John B. As you probably already know, late model VW 2.0 engines are notorious for oil consumption. Its a shame really, because otherwise its a solid engine. My Wife drives an 03 Golf 2.0 and it eats up about .75qt every 5k miles. Unfortunatly, I don't think there's a quick fix for this problem and if you consult with your local dealer they'll probably agree. As strange as it sounds, 1qt every 3k is well within VWs parameters. Most 2.0 owners that I know have become frequent "dipstick checkers"....not that its a bad thing.
Good Luck with your VW, and welcome to Bitog!!

btw - I use Shell Rotella T Syn. 5w40, 5k OCIs

Well not all newer VW 2.0L consume oil. Some do and some don't. Maybe about a handful of them are 99 to early 02 models. Yeah if you ask the dealer or call VW they may just tell you that 1 quart per 1000 miles is accetable. I drive a 02 VW Jetta also with the 2.0L AVH engine. It did consume about 1quart/2000 miles using 5W-30 conventional. Now it seems to consume a less oil. As for only using oils meeting VW 500/501/502 there are a few out there. Castrol Syntec 0W-30(Made in Germany, at Autozone), Mobil 1 0W-40 and the ones you mentioned. 5W-30 conventional is probably ok to use since you only need an oil to meet at least one from the list, API SJ. If you still consume oil with synthetic, it gets kind of expensive. So you can either ask the dealer about oil consmption test or try something else. If you plan to use conventional oils. You can use 10W-30 covnetional first to see if that helps. If not then try 10W-40 conventional. You can also use 15W-40 heavy duty oils, the service manual list that for above -15C/5F. But Shell Rotella 5W-40 is a good choice plus a good price too. 2.0L engines are supposed to be a good engine. Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the VW.

If you're wondering what the service manual says about oil recommendation.

Energy conserving multigrades(all temperatures): 5W-30,5W-40,10W-30,10W-40

Multigrades only:
(all temperatures): 5W-50,10W-50,10W-60
(below 15C/60F): 5W-40,5W-40
(-5C to 15C/5F to 60F): 10W-30,10W-40
(above -15C/5F): 15W-40,15W-50,20W-40,20W-50

[ November 28, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: lpcmidst128 ]

My mother has a 01 Beetle with the AVH motor. I buy Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 for it. Her Beetle hasn't consumed any oil for the last 3 1/2 years.

I heard it was 99-02 that had sub-standard piston rings and VW will do nothing if you complain about having to add 1 quart a month. They'll say "just keep an eye on it and let us know if it gets really bad".
shocked.gif
There are lots of 99-02 2.0L effected by this, some more than others. I'd never buy a VW.
canada.gif

My aunt has a 2000 Golf with the same engine. It sure drinks quite a bit of oil, especially for one that isnt that powerful and low tech to begin with. I get my aunt to top up using M1 5W50, as the extra viscocity over the factory 30wt helps keep the consumption in check.

In all honesty 1 quart per 3000 miles with that engine is not bad at all. As previous posters said some of the engines use oil and some use a little or none at all
dunno.gif
. For VW to do anything I believe it's got to be worse than 1qt/1000 miles. That holds true for most car manufactures.

Whimsey

FTR- Mom's 2.0L 96 Passat never used a drop of oil until she forgot her 6 month Castrol RX 15w-40 change at the Bosch Service Center. I forget, it was about 1/4 - 1/2 quart after 10 months of city driving, probally like 8000 miles. She's now on a soup of old synth, ARX and "whatever" for a while then she'll get back to 6 month ocis on whatever synthetic oil I feel like giving. If she was paying, I'd use GC or M1 5w-40. Consumption is a non-issue and she parks in a heated garage.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
FTR- Mom's 2.0L 96 Passat never used a drop of oil...

Your Mom's `96 Passat has the older generation 2.0(eng. code:ABA), doesn't it? They were great engines that rarely had consumption issues.

[ November 29, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

Greetings, Thanks for the replies to my post.I was hoping for the magic fix,but I guess it's the nature of the beast.I'll stop being concerned and just add oil as needed. All the best to all for the holiday season and new year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back