2008 Ford Focus recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just got my 2008 Ford Focus. After the first free oil change by the dealership I'm wondering what oil I should run. I do a lot of spirited driving with a lot of revving. So I'm looking for a good synthetic oil. I'm planning on doing 5k mile OCI even if UOAs say there pointless. The car calls for 5w20 and it needs to meet these two certifications: Ford WSS-M2C930-A and API Certification Mark.
I'm also going to use the Purolator PureOne filter. I'm also looking for some input on that filter as well, I've never had any problems with it.
So really I'm looking for your guys opinions and maybe a little supporting statement why you think it would be good. I'm open to any brand really.

Amsoil XL 5w20, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, Valvoline Synpower 5w20, or just run Motorcraft 5w20 syn-blend. If you look in the UOA section you will see quite a few UOA's of 5w20. If it were mine and I was gonna drive it really hard I would pick one of the three I have listed. I would pick the cheapest one of the three synthetics. Whichever is on sale. All three have shown good UOA's. There are others that I would use not listed. Go to your favorite auto parts store and see what's on sale and if it meets the specs you list.

Last edited:
How do you like the car? How is the power from the 2.0 liter? Is it a manual, and if so, how do you like the shifter? With rebates you can a base model really cheaply these days.

The absolute highest quality PAO synthetic 5w20 I have found for my 2.3L 4-banger is Royal Purple. You'd be hard pressed to find a better oil if cost is not a consideration.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
How do you like the car? How is the power from the 2.0 liter? Is it a manual, and if so, how do you like the shifter? With rebates you can a base model really cheaply these days.

love it and yes i got the stick shift. Its alright and kinda click/thuds (not a bad click/thud the good kind) into gear so you know its in. The 2.0 is awesome although i got the PZEV motor it still pulls real nice. I just wish the aftermarket parts were out for it lol. I cant wait to get a cat back on it and intake. its gonna sound sick.

The absolute best oil for 5,000 mile oil changes on your new Ford "Warranty?" would be the highly rated Motorcraft oil .You don't really need a syn oilunless it is recommended by Ford , Or an Amsoil salesperson.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
The absolute best oil for 5,000 mile oil changes on your new Ford "Warranty?" would be the highly rated Motorcraft oil .You don't really need a syn oilunless it is recommended by Ford , Or an Amsoil salesperson.

I agree with Steve, I take care of my daughter's 2003 Focus.
She has a DOHC 2.0 liter. I change the oil (Motorcraft 5-20 Syn-Blend) & the filter (Napa Gold/Wix from Fleet-Filter) every 5000 miles. The car runs like a top & I have never added a drop of oil. Good luck with you new car.

For really high revs and loads, a thicker oil may help reduce some slammering if there is any. In Sweden 5w30 is recommended for the Ford 2.0 liters. Maybe a good synth 30 weight will be good for your application if you drive it hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back