Help: need gasket 0.010" thick for oil pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a spare oil pump, it's a Melling M-62.
I pulled it apart and cleaned it out and it's in excellent condition.
Four small bolts hold the flat cover over the 2 internal pump gears. It uses a very thin paper type gasket. If I just slap the cover on and tighten it down, with both mating surfaces clean, the gears bind against the cover so I need some kind of gasket which also acts as a shim to give the correct clearance. But it has to be thin. The thinnest cut your own gasket material I found at the store was 1/32" (0.031") which is way too thick.
The thinnest gasket material I found was stuff called vegetable fiber sheet, and comes in 0.006", 0.010", and 0.015".
Is this the type of stuff used?
http://www.allstategasket.com/info_gasket_material_buy2.asp

anybody know where I can get some at reasonable price?
allstategasket says minimum order is $100 and a new M62 pump is $25.

The vegetable fiber stuff is real gasket material. It's good. An automotive machine shop might sell you a piece.

I've used kraft paper grocery bags (about 0.005 in) and manila folders (about 0.010 in a pinch and never had a problem)

Summit Racing has 0.015 thick material for $11.0

Parts America.com (online arm of Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and CSK Auto) has sheets of 1/64th material for $5.

after researching google and ebay I've come across flexoid and trinex. Ebay store gaskets-to-go has rolls for $5, and it ships out of thailand for a $7 flat rate go figure.

kraft paper is a good idea, have a ton of it at work. think i'll give that a try first since it's free.
thanks.

Had the same issue when I was repairing a leak on my sister's 85 LTD. only way to get a new gasket (3.8L V6) was to buy a rebuild kit for $13..

kraft paper should do well in oil

(I've used cornflake packets for thermostats before with good short term results)

Same set up as the oil pump in my Jeeps 360. On the inside face of the cover are there circles fround in from the gears? Jeep guys recommend filing or milling the covers smooth again to reduce excess clearance. I once used a match book cover for a carb gasket whilst performing a field repair on my chainsaw. Worked fine for yrs.

I've made gaskets lots of times out of just any ol' paper that happens to be the thickness I want. I cut it to shape, soak it with locktite, and bolt it together. The soaked-in locktite will harden and make it work as well as any store-bought gasket. I even did this in a relatively high heat/high pressure application once- an air compressor head gasket. Worked fine for years... probably still works.

Ace hardware online, NEA fiber gasket roll 1/64" thick. $1.99
no shipping since I sent it to a local store.

if you pass by an advance auto part store, please stop in and tell them they suck and should go kill themselves for the good of humanity.
Advance auto has the same thing online, but want around $10 shipping and apparently no ship to store option. The store had the same stuff on the shelf except 1/32" thick and told me they can't get the 1/64" stuff, [censored]!

Copper - yes. The stainless shim stock probably has too much cold work (springy) to work with and make a gasket.

i emailed melling tech the other day too,
got a response yesterday saying give me your address and we'll mail you one.

once again, if you pass by an advance auto store stop in and tell them to g.f.t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back