Castrol TWS vs. Rotella syn 5W-40??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reelizmpro
I'm confused...your sig says 86 325 which would make it an ETA engine (no oil cooler). Yet you state in a post that you have an 89 325i. All E30 325i's (325/e models excluded) came with oil coolers stock. M20 engines tend to consume oil thru the valve guides, IIRC so I wouldn't go too thin on that engine. ALL M cars came with oil temp gauges instead of fuel economy gauges including US models.

It's an e car with an i swap. No cooler installed.

And no, I'd be happy to post pictures of multiple US E36 M3 clusters that have no oil temp gauges. That is a Euro thing, not for the US Market. I'll look for pics of US model E30 M3 clusters, but all US model E36 M3, and all US model M5 clusters do not contain an oil temp gauge.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: Reelizmpro
I'm confused...your sig says 86 325 which would make it an ETA engine (no oil cooler). Yet you state in a post that you have an 89 325i. All E30 325i's (325/e models excluded) came with oil coolers stock. M20 engines tend to consume oil thru the valve guides, IIRC so I wouldn't go too thin on that engine. ALL M cars came with oil temp gauges instead of fuel economy gauges including US models.

It's an e car with an i swap. No cooler installed.

And no, I'd be happy to post pictures of multiple US E36 M3 clusters that have no oil temp gauges. That is a Euro thing, not for the US Market. I'll look for pics of US model E30 M3 clusters, but all US model E36 M3, and all US model M5 clusters do not contain an oil temp gauge.

US spec E36 M3 is the redheaded stepchild and doesn't count. Apparently, the US spec E36 M3 didn't come with an oil temp gauge but it's the only one that didn't because E30/E46 M3's, E28/E34/E39 M5's, E24 M6's, M coupe all have them...it's not just a euro thing.

Last edited:
My bad the E28 M5 and E24 M6 didn't have oil temp gauges (out of curiosity I was looking it up). Anyway, getting back on topic. Both of the oils you mentioned seem to be great oils. Given the cost and limited availability of the TWS, I would try Rotella and see how it works out. If it turns out to be too thin for your engine you could always go thicker.

I can still post a pic of a US model E39 M5 with no oil temp gauge if you'd like, but this is still far, far off-topic. All I intended to do in this thread was directly compare the make-up and best uses of both of these oils. Unfortunately, I'm not an oil expert, or I would not have had to ask what is the difference, and what uses would each one be ideal in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KenO
I can still post a pic of a US model E39 M5 with no oil temp gauge if you'd like, but this is still far, far off-topic. All I intended to do in this thread was directly compare the make-up and best uses of both of these oils. Unfortunately, I'm not an oil expert, or I would not have had to ask what is the difference, and what uses would each one be ideal in.

Either someone replaced the cluster with a non-M cluster or else it's an M5 with square mirrors, an automatic transmission and a six cylinder engine.

Originally Posted By: Brien
Castrol Syntec(except GC) sucks. Its not true synthetic. Its a Group III base.

Really, there is no place for that type of hyperbolic speculation on an expert forum like this.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=64418&fpart=1

http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/threads/20284.phtml#113824

fwiw, my shop uses Syntec 5w-50 by the drum. The guys are 20-30+ years Master BMW, Porsche and Audi Techs with full competition race licences. Owner uses it in his RS6 w/26lbs of boost. Original KKK turbo at 140k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back