2003 Chevy Malibu - How much ATF for Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's 2003 Malibu is at just over 60,000 miles now and the manual states for normal service that the ATF never needs to be changed, but I don't agree with that and want to change the transmission fluid in it. It says for Severe that it should be done every 50,000 or 60,000, can't remember which. Does anyone know how much ATF I'm going to need to buy? As far as I know, it uses Dexron III. Also, does anyone know if dropping the pan on this car is difficult? If it's too much of a hassle I'll pay a reputable transmission shop to just have it flushed. Thanks a lot.
55.gif

Pan drop is pretty easy. Buy a filter kit from the dealer, and 8 quarts of DEXRON-VI, not Dexron-III.

Drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, and refill through the vent cap. Measure the amount that you drain out, it should be 7.4 to 7.5 quarts. Pour in 7.5 quarts. Don't bother checking the fluid level.

The 4T45E specs:
7.4 qts for a "pan drop"
10.6 qts for a "complete overhaul"
13.2 qts "dry"

I'd buy a case of something Dex VI compatible. Do a pan drop, cleaning, maybe a filter change, button it up, replace ~7.5qts of Dex VI, then take it for a drive. Some time later, with the engine OFF, pull the level check plug and let 4qts drain out. Replace that 4qts. Check for proper level, use the last 0.5qt if necessary! Problem with the dipstickless 4T45E is, I havent figured out how to check for proper level on my Cobalt. I'd have to 'lift' it, which would throw it way off level. You have to check ATF level on a warm idling engine, in park, on a level surface. ATF should just dribble out of the level check plug.
074T45MN5LoR.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back