Oil shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many of you buy cases of oil and stash them away, the question I have is how long can you store the oil before it goes bad?

I'm debating whether to stock up now as oil prices are rising.

Thanks

I read in another forum that the additives will break down over time even when not being used? Also, "stuff(not sure what the stuff is)" starts to settle at the botom of the container?

Thanks in advance for clarification

Most oil companies will tell you between 2 to 4 years depending on the storage conditions. If I have something 4 years old I get rid of it.

I have never seen a use by date on a bottle of motor oil. I do however shake the bottles well before I pour them into the car just encase there was any additive fall out during storage.

usually the oil is good as the current spec is, but I have used oil that is 4-5 years old with no problems. I have too much oil so I'm not buying anymore unless a good free rebate sale around December of every year.

I have likewise used oil 4-5 years old with no issues. But even if it weren't in "tip top" shape, I wouldn't expect my engine to fall apart. If I had some older, I would use it, maybe not as long.

thanks for the input everyone. I have enough to last me 'till the end of the year. Maybe I'll just buy a case since they have Castrol by my place on sale for $.99 a quart.

I've kept mine for up to three years so far in a non-climate controlled garage. Still seems to be oily.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bruce381
depending on who you ask but I'd say 2-3 years is a good number

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Most oil companies will tell you between 2 to 4 years depending on the storage conditions. If I have something 4 years old I get rid of it.

Johnny, I'm sure there are folks here who would gladly "recycle" your 4-year-old oil.
grin2.gif

So, what happens to the oil when it exceeds it's shelf life, be it 3 years, 4 years, or whatever (a Valvoline rep once told me indefinite shelf life)?

Thanks, Tall Paul (over 200 quarts on stash, some already hitting 4 years on the shelf
shocked2.gif
)

I still have some old pennzoil in those steel cans. I guess I'll use that for my auto-rx rinse phase. Oil should still be good since it's sealed and it's only going in there for 1500 miles. Thanks again for all the replies!

Last edited:
It seems shelf life varies from one brand to another. The idea of recycling 5 year old oil seems wasteful. Anyone see any issues using it as make-up oil in an old beater?

Many years ago I had a friend that had a Chevy van that burnt and leaked oil at a rate of about 200 miles/qt. For 2 years I was giving him the waste oil from my van to use instead of him buying oil. At that time I was changing oil every 2000 miles.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back