15w40 when it calls for 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work they use 15w40 in everything from the heavy equipment to the gas engine trucks. Well we ended up with a 2005 New Holland skid steer that calls for 10w30 but the shop mechanics only have 15w40. What is the repercussions of not using the correct oil. This piece of equipment has been assigned to me so I would like to take care of it the best that I can.

If you look closer in the specs, you may see that it allows for 15W40 in hot climates. I don't think 15W40 will hurt anything (it didn't with my farm equipment), but if the unit is on and off a lot (the equivalent of short hop runs in a car), then the 10W30 would be a better choice. If it starts and runs long enough to get fully wamed up, then the 15W40 looks better. That's especially true if the unit has an oil-to-water oil cooler that warms the oil up faster. The faster you can get the oil up to operating temp, IMHO, the more efficatious are the heavier oils... and vice versa.

I'd be surprised if the operator's manual said that you can run ONLY 10W30 in that engine. Most heavy equipment manufacturers reccomend several different viscosities depending on temperature range. Regardless, 15W40 isn't going to hurt anything.

I've worked on lots of older New Holland skidsteers... and I know that they're made in the same plant nowadays as the Case machines. Do these now have the Case engines?

I have a New Holland compact that probably has a similar engine as the skid steer. My manual allows for straight 30, 10w30 or 15w40. Guess it is just what you are comfortable with.

I use either a 5w40 or 10w40 Amsoil in mine (since I have a diesel Jeep Liberty I use the same for both). Have had pretty good results. Heck, even the 15w40 Amsoils flow pretty good in cold temps. I use the NH for quite a bit of snow removal in subzero temps and have never had a problem using a Xw40 weight oil. Even my dealer will put in a 15w40 unless I spec something else (going by discussion with him, I have never used the dealer for an oil change).

Last edited:
My company does the same. 15-40 Pennzoil longlife in everything from salesmens cars to our old Mack. The only thing in our fleet that gets Mobil-1 0-40 is a Dodge Sprinter with a Mercedes engine. Great vehicle!

How about 10W30 when it calls for 15W40? My Dodge Cummins recommends 15/5W40, but I like the idea of 10W30 (or some 5W30 diesel oils). Especially for short trips and cold starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back