Honda Pilot 3.5 VTEC engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I’m looking at a ’05 or ’06 Honda Pilot to replace my old and very faithful Explorer. I’ve never owned a Honda and I thought I’d poll the audience before I dive in. I’ve been told that the Honda 3.5 is a pretty bulletproof engine. I think the only weak link in this vehicle seems to be the drive train itself, but that can be helped out by some regular maintenance and fluid changes. Any thoughts on either ’05 or ’06 Pilot - For or Against, Good / Bad, Thumbs up / Thumbs down? I appreciate any tribal knowledge that you can offer up.

Thanks!

My mom has a 2005 Pilot EX-P. It's loaded for the $$$.

The engine has been faultless so far, and it's so refined and almost silent at idle. Eery, really, when you can't tell if your car is running.

Yep, just change out both the VTM-4 and ATF fluids regularly and it should last a long long time.

You won't regret getting one. Much better than Explorer.

I think you are correct, the "automagic" transmissions in some Honda's have not been stellar, lately. I had this engine in an Odyssey, and it's very strong, and relatively fuel efficient if you are very gentle with it....however, it will suck the fuel with gusto if you put your foot into it. You need to watch for fuel dilution tendencies in the oil with this engine...perhaps change to to FRAM air filter for better breathing...I believe that's what one resident Guru recommends at times for these engines.

Whelp, after some driving in our new Odyssey with the same drivetrain as the Pilot, I am very impressed with the 3.5L VTEC. Tons of silky smooth power, good MPGs and as you say, you rarely hear of issues with the 3.5L itself. They do have a timing belt with a water pump buried in there, but the only other associated part is a hydraulic T-belt tensioner w/ pulley (no idler pulleys,etc). Again, I've yet to hear of any failures there. After my last batch of domestic variants, I really like the feel of the 5spd AT as well. All the controls seem to fall right where they need to.

Joel

Honda's 3.5 is a good engine.

I give the Pilot a thumbs down, though. Too tall and bulky for no good reason.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Honda's 3.5 is a good engine.

I give the Pilot a thumbs down, though. Too tall and bulky for no good reason.

I agree. I guess it fills the niche for a people mover that looks like an SUV as opposed to a MV. I also used to think the Ridgeline was a goofy vehicle up until I really checked one out recently (in the showroom, waiting for my Ody to get 'prepped'). LOTS of passenger room and actually a decent sized cargo bed. If it does get ~20mpg+ hywy, it's a decent alternative to a truck.

Joel

Yup.

You know, I never understood the need for a people carrier that doesn't look like a people carrier. If you're carrying kids around, what the heck is wrong with looking like you're carrying kids around? What personal image issue could possibly be so bad that it's worth having huge blind spots, poor rollover resistance, tons (literally) of meaningless dead weight, and the aerodynamics of a parachute?

Oh well. Sadly, that's not the strangest thing I've seen...

Here's some pics of an '06. Coil-overs are gone and it looks like the dipstick got snapped off. That orange button on the right cam cover is supposed to be the dipstick.

06Honda35A.jpg

06Honda35B.jpg

06Honda35C.jpg

Joel

We have an '06 Pilot AWD. It's a very nice, large, and smooth driving SUV. The gas mileage isn't the greatest in the heavy beast though. I've also noticed that it runs smoother, feels more powerful on Premium/93 Octane.

The SUV is tall and has much more room inside than the Highlander, Explorer, and TrailBlazer.

The only thing I would change is put a bigger engine in it. I think a bigger engine won't work as hard in this heavy SUV, will be more powerful, and at the same time may provide the same gas mileage.

Make sure to regularly do drain and refills in the transmission (every 15k miles) and VTM-4 (every 15k miles) and it should give you long, trouble-free miles.

Back in 2006 we bought ours brand new for an unbelievable deal as Honda put out $5k or $6k factory rebates. Can't recall the exact number off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the honest feedback.
I do think the size of the Pilot is a little over-kill for me, that’s my one concern. I don’t usually haul more then two kids at the same time. I was looking for a reliable SUV that gets better MPG then the old Explorer, which would probably be anything! If anyone has other thoughts on SUV’s that they are trilled with I’d love to hear them.

The late model CRVs are quite refined and very comfortable. The 2.3L with 5spd auto is quite nice.

We have a new escape; it does the deed but: even leather-equipped have mostly plastic interior; brand-new it used a full qt of oil (in 7500 miles) well before the OLM said it was time for a change. Not too alarming, but definently not honda-like in quality. Still, it looks to be a great car.

If I was to plunk down cash/pyments for a late-model vehicle, I'd think real hard about fuel costs.

M

I don't know what size of vehicle you are looking for but based that you plan on using it for hauling kids around I would suggest the Honda CRV. I know several people who own them and they all seem to love 'em. Having ridden in the backseat of one (I"m 6'2") I would say it is very comfortable and would not hesitate to take a long trip sitting in the back. It's got a 4-banger that gives a little better mpg, but you wouldn't be able to haul the boat with it, if that is a concern.

Clark

CRV's are nice, so are RAV-4's. Personally, I like the Subaru Forester for it's lower center of gravity and generally higher safety ratings. It's surprisingly agile for an SUV-type. Can't go wrong with any of these three, though, although perhaps a mini-van or other "tweener" kind of vehicle would serve you just as well...especially if you don't "need" all-wheel-drive of the Subaru. We get the posted 28 mpg on the highway at 75 mph with 3 people and a big dog. Goes up to about 30 if I keep it below 70 mph. Manual transmission might do a bit better...

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350, Acura RDX, and Acura MDX are all very nice choices

Don't forget the GMC Acadia.

Take a look at the just released NEW Highlander. It's larger than the previous generation, and drives very nicely. I had one for several days last month while my Prius was having its window replaced after being burglarized. The Enterprise agency near my dealer had a brand new one sitting there, and I decided to pony up a few extra bucks to give it a try. Nice SUV if that's what you're after.

Hey, thanks for all the help.

I do like the new Arcadia and the Highlander, but my budget is looking more like a used Explorer.

I went to the Honda dealer last night to look at a few Pilots, nice vehicles, I didn't get a chance to drive one though. I couldn't get by the "how much is your budget and what do you want your payments to be" speech. I told him it's a cash deal and here's what I want to spend, he said for 20k he could get me into a '04 Pilot EX-L with 60,000 miles...tonight!!
I then walked across the street and looked at a '05 4Runner, that might have some possibilities.
I really like the larger SUV type truck since I do a fare amount of hunting in the fall and I always need all the space I can get. I couldn't believe how large the Pilot was when I stood next to it.
I think I need to narrow down my choices and only look at two vehicles...I did like the 4Runner, the sales lady said it get close to the same mileage with a V6.

The Toyota 4Runner is a very nice vehicle. It is more truck based than any other SUV mentioned above. It is more rugged, has body on frame, and may be something you are more used to from your Explorer. If you love the truck feel, def. look into the 4Runner. If you want to step away from the truck feel and have something that drives more like a car, look into all of the SUV's mentioned above.

The gas mileage on the 4Runner may not be the greatest in both the V6 and V8 engine configurations. I would personally recommend the V8 variant for the extra torque and power, but that is personal taste. I'm sure many are fully satisfied with the V6. The only edge the V6 has over the V8 4Runner is the capability to stay in 2WD mode for everyday driving when 4WD is not needed, where as the V8 comes with Automatic full time 4WD. I wish they made the V8 with the capability to stay in 2WD when the extra grip is not needed from the front axle.

In all honesty, the Pilot is a very good choice for the money with plenty of room and comfort. You can't go wrong with the extra room but can when there is not enough.

Last edited:
Roadking, if you're doing a 180 away from a Pilot to used Exploder, you may as well consider a Trailblazer too. They are roomy, very comfortable, truck-like and off-roadable. The 4.2L I6 is silky smooth, but expect 15-18mpg. Basically the same as any truck based SUV. Same reliabilty and low resale as the Explorer (get'em used cheap).

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back