10,000 miles /16000 kms Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might consider replacing the Pure 1 at mid-interval. That might may it a little less bold.

I don't consider it bold at all! I also have a 2004 Honda Civic VP. and will run 0w20 Mobil One after the so called "break in" or factory fill oil.

I have also been running 15,000 mile oil and filter intervals with Mobil One 5w30 in other vehicles with no concerns for over 660,000 miles. I currently am running 15,000-20,000 mile intervals with Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck and SUV in a TDI application.

As a result because of a long history of running Mobil One in various applications I would see your 10,000 Mobil One 0w20 as more of a validation of the longer intervals rather than an attempt at establishing a base line.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
I don't consider it bold at all! I also have a 2004 Honda Civic VP. and will run 0w20 Mobil One after the so called "break in" or factory fill oil.

I have also been running 15,000 mile oil and filter intervals with Mobil One 5w30 in other vehicles with no concerns for over 660,000 miles. I currently am running 15,000-20,000 mile intervals with Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck and SUV in a TDI application.

As a result because of a long history of running Mobil One in various applications I would see your 10,000 Mobil One 0w20 as more of a validation of the longer intervals rather than an attempt at establishing a base line.

bowdown.gif

Whoa! And I thought my 8 years of extended drains (8-12K mile OCI's) with a total just over 225K miles was impressive.

Well, at least my Dad is up there with his 19K OCI in his Porsche CayenneS with M1 0W-40. I'd push more in my VW/Audi 1.8t's if the oil sump was bigger. I think 15-18K OCI's are very doable though. I also run the Mecca Performance filter during this time w/o changing it.

VW ran a 1.8t for 400 hrs with Motul E-tech 0W-40 and concluded that the next OCI should be at 30K km (18K miles)!

quote:

I would see your 10,000 Mobil

...and I'll raise yer 3,000 more!! Care to call?
(visions of Celeberty OCI)
grin.gif

In all seriousness, I don't think you'll see anything that will shorten your ownership even in your alleged severe climate. One OCI will let you know if it's too long for this oil under your conditions.

My reservation was the filter. The Pure 1 is great, but it's conventional media and is high efficiency, so I'm not sure how long you can leave one on before it's holding capacity runs out.
dunno.gif

id be hesitant to replace the filter since you would then need a little bit of make up oil. and i think that would skew uoa results. id go 10k on one filter.

I go ~8kmi to ~9kmi intervals in my Acura RSX on M1 0w-20 even though my driving is closer to severe conditions than normal. Since Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other change (up to 20kmi) in the US, 10kmi on an oil filter is pretty conservative.

For what its worth, I just ran a 5500 mile OCI in my 02 civic with a supertech filter. This filter has half the filter media that an m1-110 has and it was full of oil and nice and toasty when I changed it out. I don't think going 10k with a good filter will be a problem...

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
id be hesitant to replace the filter since you would then need a little bit of make up oil. and i think that would skew uoa results. id go 10k on one filter.

I care about the man's engine more than uoa results. He will need a significant amount of makeup oil anyway. To be sure, he will add a lot of makeup.

I would be surprised if
1 or 2 liters were not added.

Right! Given no abnormalities, make up oil actually refreshes the total sump's TBN !! While no extensive testing has been done to show the EXACT TBN refreshment, it would be almost a no brainer to do a %!!!!

quote:

I'd be more concerned about taking care of my engine than skewing UOA results. I think you've cart before the horse here. The goal is not to generate impressive, or even just informative, UOAs, but rather, it is to best protect his car. I'd suggest that Airbus do a UOA (using a tube to draw a sample from the dipstick tube, so oil isn't dumped) AND then change the filter, both at 5k. If indications from the midterm UOA are solid, then he can proceed with confidence to go to 10k, or abort early if there are indications the oil is not cutting it.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
[qb] He will need a significant amount of makeup oil anyway. To be sure, he will add a lot of makeup.

I would be surprised if
1 or 2 liters were not added.
My mother-in-law has a 2002 civic dx and it is coming up on its 3rd yearly oil change in a week or so and both times the oil was/is still on full. Impossible to tell if any consumption has taken place. And this car only holds 3.5 quarts. The 1st year it went about 13k miles on Amsoil 10w30 ATM, the second year will be about 9-10k miles with ATM also. Both times I used a Mobil 1 filter.

This year it will get Series 2000 0w30 and an Amsoil filter. I hope it makes it another year with zero consumption and slightly better fuel economy.

doesn't honda U.S.A also call for a filter change at every other O.C.? This could mean filter changes every 20000miles for a 'non-severe' schedule. no?

I just changed my oil yesterday. I put in Mobil 1 0w20 and pure 1 filter. Honda says to change oil and filter every 5000 miles/8000 kms regardless of type of driving. Howver in the United States,Honda allows up to 10,000 miles/16000 kms for normal driving conditions. My driving condtions fall under the "normal" definition. I am going to go all the way to 16000 kms and completely drain the oil and replace the filter and send off a sample for analysis. Anybody think this is to bold considering I live in Ottawa,Canada where temperatures last winter were quite often as low as -30 c.

I haven't gone 10k with my oci, but I have gone several times to 7500 with absolutely not consumption issues (didn't use a drop) 02 civic ex. same as lx except for v-tech. That was with both m1 0w20 and amsoil 5w20. I am currently using motorcraft 5w20 for 5-6k oci's In any case didn't use a drop....much less a couple of liters (it only holds 3.5 liters). Hope this helps...wait, one time I did have to add a few ounces...that was with pennzoil 5w20 at 3500 miles...

i have a civic and the manual recommends filter changes every 10k. so this is why i have no problem suggesting he goes that long with one filter, because he would still be abiding by the manual's interval.

Airbus,
If your Civic is in good shape, I'd say you are in great shape to go 10k miles. In fact, I'm going to go 15k miles on my 03 Civic 1.7L 4 before I think about changing oil. I have 1 qt of GC 0w30 mixed with 3 qts of M1 0w20 with Baldwin B1431 oversized filter. I plan to do UOA at 10k miles and again at 15k miles. If it still looks good at 15k, I'll go to 20k before changing oil. I've already had a very successful 15k on my wife's Chrysler T&C w/Amsoil and M1 mix. It's currently on new oil headed for 20k mile OCI. I would suggest to set your mind at ease...take an oil sample at 10k and get it checked. That way you will know if 10k is the oil's limit or if it could go farther. Good Luck.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back