Timken Machine Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did good what I posted is wjhat I did years ago.

The no load wt was just the torque wrench droped on the bearing NO pushing

email me I'll send yha some cool addditives you can add at 1-2% to peg it.
bruce

Before i get a huge list of additives to test, please post where i can buy it (website), how much it costs (USD) and any test videos that are already out there. Also any tests the oil additive passed (ILSAC GF-4, ect...). Does the additive hold any patents? Discounts/Free would be nice since additives cost a lot more then base oils.

Thanks
-Mikeytown

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikeytown2
Before i get a huge list of additives to test, please post where i can buy it (website), how much it costs (USD) and any test videos that are already out there. Also any tests the oil additive passed (ILSAC GF-4, ect...). Does the additive hold any patents? Discounts/Free would be nice since additives cost a lot more then base oils.

Thanks
-Mikeytown

I ment things like ZDDP, Boron esters, antimony, chlorinated esters, sulfurized esters, organic FM's, Moly etc NONE on the shelf industry additive i use and have samples off whatever you want to try let me know,NO charge.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
I ment things like ZDDP, Boron esters, antimony, chlorinated esters, sulfurized esters, organic FM's, Moly etc NONE on the shelf industry additive i use and have samples off whatever you want to try let me know,NO charge.
bruce

Bruce, this would be fun an all
55.gif
, but how practical is the testing all these compounds? If we can gain some insight and knowledge, then lets do more testing! I just want to make sure the testing of nonstandard mixes/chemicals will have some benefits for this community as well.

Thanks for everyones input on this!

benifits not many to anyone other than a blender so in that case go with some over the counter aditives that would benifit anyone else that wants to try them
bruce

Originally Posted By: sprintman
ROIL Gold first up please
Would you be willing to ship me some for free? Otherwise this will be at the bottom of my list because i can not pick it up local and it costs way too much IMHO.

Mikeytown2.

Auto-Rx is a metal cleaner (not an additive) we don't change oil chemistry frankly no need for an additive if you clean your engine and use good oil

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'm in Australia. It's an American product. Doesn't make sense to ship to where it comes from does it?
EDIT *found roil on the US page*
I *still* believe it is an Au product (at least now i don't have to pay huge shipping fees!)
Neways USA product page (has Roil) http://www.newaysonline.com/usa2/ProductManage/ProductView.aspx?cid=hh&id=3340
Neways Au product page (has Roil) http://www.neways.com.au/products/product.htm
Either way, i can't buy it at Schucks (CSK Auto, Inc.), NAPA, GI Joes, or some local race shop. So like i said, unless you want to ship me some, this will be near the bottom of the testing list.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Auto-Rx is a metal cleaner (not an additive)
Thanks for the info! There is no need to test it then.

Last edited:
Mikey...

So do you have a spreadsheet listing the amps pulled with load and without and the wear before and after??? Could make some nice graphs showing trends??

Don't want to let this die... I would love to see the some oil additives tested. Tufoil needs to make that list. Maybe you could post some shipping information, where "oil sample donations" can be sent. I've noticed you using 6oz. of fluid for your testing. What would be the minimum amount that you could use, and still give accurate results? I ask, because some of this stuff, like my RLI
55.gif
is worth its weight in gold!

I would like to see the results using each oil heated to at least 180°F since every one of these tests I have seen over the past 20 years has always been at room temp. It would be interesting to see if there is a difference between room temp [startup] and near operating temp in scuffing to see if the additives perform differently when heated.

I won't let this die either. I did most of the tests over the Christmas break. I will need another break from work in order for me to do more filming/testing. I would also need to borrow the machine again; it's not mine, just on loan.

In terms of testing i would need to use the same base oil, and i would like to follow the directions on the label. I usually put in 5ml of fluid for each test. so if the label requires a 20% mix i would need 1ml of the additive and i would put in 4ml of the base oil. Heating the oil up is a mute point, engine blocks are cold on start. They all advertise that engine wear happens on cold starts. If i get all the tests done and i have some spare time i will do a hot run and see what happens.

In terms of shipping, PM me and i will give you a US address. I only require very small amounts of the additive, but it would be nice to do more then 1 run. I estimate the next set of testing/filming won't happen till sometime in April with my current schedule.

Last edited:
Please include Auto-RX in the testing.

Semantics aside, although Auto-RX is not considered and oil additive by its inventor, in an engine, it is poured into the same hole that the oil is poured into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back