is 4/32 to 5/32 tread safe on snow and ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: AHC
Consumer reports says that performance deteriorates at around 5/32nds.

“Unfortunately, 2/32 of an inch may be too late if you drive in rain or snow. Based on our tests of new and half-tread-depth tires, you may want to consider replacing the ones on your car or truck closer to the 5/32-inch groove depth that marks the half-tread point on many tires.”

I agree if you are going into the winter with rain/snow and ice. Not so sure if you are just going into summer with 5/32s left. They have a little life left. Unfortunatly, I did the opposite. Never again. :)

BTW, I repaced my wife's tires on her Explorer with Michelins because they were over 5 years old yet had sidewall cracking and plenty of tread because I wanted her to be safe as possible. I thought I was fine with my car. Wrong!

Having almost bald tires is really nice for handling and performance in dry conditions. Steering response can be really, really nice. Sucks in wet conditions though.

California has a legal requirement of 6/32" depth from tread to bottom of a major groove to meet "snow tread tire" requirements. This basically means any all-season or winter tire with an M+S rating plus enough tread, and it applies to bypassing California's R1, R2, or (almost always means the road is completely closed) R3 chain conditions. I've been through several chain checkpoints in California, and the inspectors (usually a Caltrans employee but once a National Park Service law enforcement Ranger) always eyed the front left tire before letting me go in my Subaru. I've heard of simple gauges to measure the groove, but I've never seen one pulled out before. I guess they'll pull it out if they suspect it's well under the requirement. I had one that was pretty close and I thought I might have gotten measured.

I don't know why 6/32". Always seemed rather arbitrary.

Here's an interesting thought: 90% of tire problems occur during the last 10% of the tire's usuable life.

Don't know if it is statistically true...but, it's something I tend to go by as a 'rule of thumb'.

Originally Posted By: Titan
Here's an interesting thought: 90% of tire problems occur during the last 10% of the tire's usuable life.

Don't know if it is statistically true...but, it's something I tend to go by as a 'rule of thumb'.

A lot of skiers wreck on their last run of the day too.
grin2.gif

Seriously, my brother-in-law picked up this arrowhead looking thing from a gravel driveway... had 3 good tires and one almost bald and it took out the dud tire... fate and or good fortune smiled on him that day.

The tread block has a profile geometry, where force is transfered laterally at a 1:1 ratio. That is once blocks become "under squared", the line of force at 45' falls outside the centerline of the treadblock, it's won't flex into place nor counteract lateral force. Less grip.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

grin2.gif

Seriously, my brother-in-law picked up this arrowhead looking thing from a gravel driveway... had 3 good tires and one almost bald and it took out the dud tire... fate and or good fortune smiled on him that day.

Yep, the tired skier getting hurt more easily goes along with the "tired" tire failure theory. Again, I don't know if it is true, but, on my bicycle tires (the only tires that seem to go flat very often in my household), it does seem to be true.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

grin2.gif

I think this is right. It makes sense as shrapnel has less distance to travel through the tire's carcass when worn down, and a MUCH smaller object can cause a puncture.
My ZE-512s did not get any flats until I hit 3/32nds. Then I must have had 4-5 in a VERY short time!!
frown.gif

Last edited:
This thread brings to mind an interesting story. Several years ago I had told my wife I was going to get her new tires before winter. She mentioned that to the grocery carry-out boy, who had commented on how nice her truck looked.

When she told him I wanted to get her new tires, he explained the 'penny' test and told her she didn't need new tires. She then came home and gave me [censored] about wasting money per the carry-out boy.

I couldn't believe I was forced to explain the difference between legal and 'safe in the winter for my bride'(31 years - yesterday!) based on the word of a 16-18 kid.

Have I thrown away tires many would keep using? Yep! Was it worth it making sure my princess gets home safely all winter? You bet!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back