super tech oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am wondering if the super tech oil filter is a quality filter? i know it is made by champion labs and they make quality products.

I've used them with no issues. If your are shopping at walmart they are definetly better than the "orange can" Frams. I think the general consenus on this board has been favorable to Supertech filters.

whats the filtration efficiency? fram states 96% single pass 94% multi pass "why i stear clear" also how small of a particle can it filter?

I use them. I heard they were good and they are cheap. Great for 5k OCI.
cool.gif

To be accurate, they may not be 'better' than Fram; but they aren't any worse either.
The beef with Fram (orange), is they are overpriced for the construction.
SuperTech are cheap and decent.
If you need more for some reason, you can spend more; occasionally you may even find a cheaper filter of equal quality.

Supertech filters are a good 3-5K oci filter for cheap. Some run them for 7500 oci no problems. I have several supertech filters for my corolla but stocked up on the pure one's when I find them 2 for 1 on amazon but if I didnt have them I would use supertech with no worries.

My issues with SuperTech and AAP and other in-house filters & oil is that their supplier can change month to month. I don't care to be a beta tester or feel the need to re-research every few months to see if anything has changed. Just me and my paranoia I suppose.

IMO, my issue with super tech is that they have now priced themselves out of being a good value. Napa has the Pro Select for about $.25 cheaper, has the center steel tube and has a coiled bypass spring, at least for my applications. And I don't have to walk to the far end of the store to get it or wait in line behind five customers to pay for it.
When the super tech was under $2, I was a customer. Not any more.

Quote:
My issues with SuperTech and AAP and other in-house filters & oil is that their supplier can change month to month.

AFAIK, neither of the vendors that you've mentioned have ever changed producers. ST has always been made by Champion Labs and, again AFAIK, the AA Total Grip has been made by Purolator.

Now I believe that some stuff sold at AA (like STP and whatnot) may swing one way or the other due to mergers and acquisitions in the filter industry, so if you're referring to "labels" in general, sure.. and certain part numbers from some labels (those that aren't actually filter producers)can surely be from one producer or another in terms of "filler" product .. but ..
21.gif

Quote:
When the super tech was under $2, I was a customer. Not any more.

Yep. At $2.02 vs. MC for $3.25 and Fram @ $4.xx right next to it, the ST was hard to pass on. Now that it's $2.65+ vs. $3.48 for MC (Fram is still @ around $5 ..it's not that big a deal at Wally's. For cheap filters the AA Total Grip on the BOGO is the way to go. Plenty of $3 filters out there for the short stroking OCI type.

Gary is on the mark.
AC filters use some other filter makers for some of their product line. I don't use them so I can't say which line is AC
produced and which isn't but they do farm out some product.

Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
whats the filtration efficiency? fram states 96% single pass 94% multi pass "why i stear clear" also how small of a particle can it filter?

Supertech has a 98% single pass effiency and a 99% multipass efficiency. I actually do not have an exact number on the particle size in the test, but my first instincts tell me that the test was probably done at 25-30 micron. That seems to be the norm for most testing in conventional filters.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
IMO, my issue with super tech is that they have now priced themselves out of being a good value. Napa has the Pro Select for about $.25 cheaper, has the center steel tube and has a coiled bypass spring, at least for my applications.

Pro Selects cost more that the ST around here, plus the Napas are out of the way and a pain to deal with. And are you saying the ST doesnt have a center steel tube and coil spring?

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: Kruse
IMO, my issue with super tech is that they have now priced themselves out of being a good value. Napa has the Pro Select for about $.25 cheaper, has the center steel tube and has a coiled bypass spring, at least for my applications.

Pro Selects cost more that the ST around here, plus the Napas are out of the way and a pain to deal with. And are you saying the ST doesnt have a center steel tube and coil spring?

Ecore ST filters don't have either of those features. Anything under 3" can diameter (IIRC) has the features that you refer to. The "Blue Button" bypass valve on the dome end.

Wal-Mart's Super Tech line is not the bargain it once was, but compared to the STP line they still offer a significant savings depending on the model. For instance at AutoZone a STP S3614 runs $3.29, and a S6607 costs $4.19. Both of these are available in a Super Tech for $2.67.

Champ Labs stands behind their products, if they make a defective one they'll own up to it. Don't expect to get the same level of customer statisfaction with Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Ecore ST filters don't have either of those features. Anything under 3" can diameter (IIRC) has the features that you refer to. The "Blue Button" bypass valve on the dome end.

Sure, thats a given. I wasnt trying to include the E-core models in that.

Just because a house filter is made by XX company does not guarantee it is the same quality or meet the same spec as the manufactures own. I think WIX and NAPA GOLD are the exception from what I've read.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just because a house filter is made by XX company does not guarantee it is the same quality or meet the same spec as the manufactures own. I think WIX and NAPA GOLD are the exception from what I've read.

Supertech is of the same quality of Champ's house brand.

I see the last post was quite some time ago, but I couldn't help that I wanted to add my 2 cents. At present time the ST oil filters I buy for my corolla are $2.42 each. They are made in USA and I bought the whole blasted shelf. I just changed my oil today and cut the old one open to see how well it was constructed. The filter element was intact and both ends were held together with metal caps, it had the blue bypass valve in good shape too. These filters look better constructed than the stock toyota filter that costs twice as much. I have 10 ST filters on my shelf in the garage. They get used up pretty quick at my place because I have 3 corollas. You can't go wrong with SuperTech (at least not yet anyway).

Former ST user here, but may go back. Long before BITOG, I decided I liked the looks of an ST insides better than a Fram PH 3950. Used them for years until they dropped them a couple of years ago. Champ seems to have gone Ecore for the larger filters and the button DOME end and conventional construction for the smaller ones. I might try the ST 3593A they now suggest if it had a thread end bypass. I looked for an oversize, but as far as I can tell, the 3593 is the only 20 mm thread filter my wal-Mart stocks.

Been making due with Purolators, L10193, dome end bypass and much less media than the ST 3950. What does my extra buck over an ST3593A get me, but enriching a foreign owned company?

Next oil change I am looking at STP, Hastings, or Pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back