Need thoughts on Royal Purple, MB1 and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I didn't say MORE additives are better. I said better quality. And yes Amsoil does get some base stocks from Mobil, but that does not mean there aren't sources of better base stocks that Mobil..

This is unknown to me even when I was an Amsoil dealer. Please elaborate on how Amsoil additives are better quality than Mobil. Are there any empirical data available for verification?

Quote:
Actually you are incorrect. Amsoil does not require a bypass filter for extended drains, or even a EaO full flow filter. Well maybe Mobil could make any oil they want. That's a bit silly. Jet oil. OK..

For vehicle prone to sludge Amsoil is no better than OEM recommend oil per Amsoil guidelines. For longer OCI then Amsoil oil filter must be used according the Amsoil tech line.

Quote:
Well please don't ignore my words....I wrote "Amsoil has a more rounded lubrication line available to the general public..." Actually you might be surprised what oils Amsoil makes and for whom. But I have no doubt Mobil makes more industrial lubes, but that wasn't my point..

Mobil has more rounded lubrication line available to the general public "worldwide" as I have posted above. Mobil has products basically for any thing that move, whereas Amsoil is mainly land and water based machineries. With that said, I just bought four gallons of Amsoil Torque Drive ATF for my Chevy because no one else is making a Transynd compatible fluid except Amsoil and Transynd. I am sure in a couple of year this will change, but for now Amsoil got my money.

Quote:
True enough, but some NAPA's, True Value, and yes Auto Dealers sell Amsoil. Sure I don't dispute Amsoil is slightly more expensive. Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, England aren't in the USA last time I checked and you can get Amsoil there..

Even for a city state such as Singapore, locating an Amsoil dealer is not easy nor convenient. They stock mostly motorcycle oils and very limited weight of PCMO. Only one dealer regularly carry PCMO oil that I am aware of. Every thing else has to be ordered and wait. It is even worst in Malaysia because of the island hopping situation. If people have problem getting Amsoil locally here in the US what make you think it will be easier oversea?

I think you should give the RP a try.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx

http://www.mxtradings.com/mxtradings.htm

No where in any of those links did Amsoil do a comparison of the quality of the additive versus the quantity. Also, Amsoil admitted that "Though viscosity is the most critical variable in terms of wear protection, it does have limitations. Component loading can exceed the load carrying ability of the oil. When that occurs, partial or full contact results between components and wear will occur. Chemical additives are added to the oil as the last line of defense to control wear in these conditions."

Motul and Torco has less Zinc level than Amsoil yet they are better in Wear Protection (4-Ball, ASTM D-4172). So, does that means that Motul and Torco has better quality additive? I can rewrite those same white papers to make some other oil looks good or better than Amsoil. Amsoil is a very good oil but certainly not the best for the money.

I usually don't get too involved in these types of posts, but I will. Paul is a really respectable guy. He's always serviced my Amsoil needs with nothing but honesty and integrity. If he doesn't think Amsoil will be any better than an OTC product, he WILL tell you, and HAS told me. Believe me.

I'll be one of the ones that will say that I really am a believer of Amsoil. I've used MANY different oils, in many cars, and I truly believe that Amsoil has always given GREAT results. Slightly increased MPG's, smoother running, and great UOA's. The bottom line is that their products work as advertised, all of the time. EVERY Amsoil product I have used has always performed above my expectations.

Do I think that Amsoil is leaps and bounds ahead of M1 or PP? Maybe not leaps and bounds, but better, at least in terms of experience in my vehicles. PP is a close second, but the fact that Amsoil really stands behind their products gives me a warm and fuzzy. I do a 7,500 OCI now, but once my warranty is over, 10k will be the OCI I choose. Amsoil gives me the confidence to do so.

I've been an auto detailer on the side for several years. The same war rages on concerning waxes/sealants. I always tell my customer that there are MANY quality products on the market and they should use what looks and feels best to THEM. Is there a "best?" I am not so sure, but I have my personal "best."

Enough...Paul is a good guy who is not jaded by "Amsoil Speak." Give him a break.

I think you are mistaken that this is a thing agains Paul. It is NOT against Paul. This is purely an Amsoil vs M1 and performance per dollar spent issue. I used to be an Amsoil dealer and have used them exclusively for over four years so I do know how it is on the other side. I still use Amsoil products that I believe to be the best. The thing here is not all Amsoil products or services are the best, and neither is Mobil nor any one else. I am gravitating toward PP and Val Synpower now that they have more varieties and at 1$/qt they can not be beat performance/dollar. If I can get Amsoil for $1/qt then we would not have this discussion.

Hi,
azsynthetic - I totally agree with you

This is NOT a personal issue - it concerns being objective

When you are in a somewhat "priviliged" position like Pablo it is incumbent on you to indeed be objective!

There is no "magic" lubricant. You can only accurately evaluate the true measure of one lubricant (same specification) against another by using RATT and other such measures of evaluation. This must be done in a controlled environment of course. Wear metal uptake, oil degradation and lubricant's "hydraulic" abiliies (short/long term) can now be measured better than ever before and as indicated earlier in real time. And of course by extended road/track trials too which play an extremely valuable role and like I have been involved in for many years.

UOAs will not do all of this of course unless you have much time and enormous resourses and you can replicate many circumstances clinically

And on this Forum how do you measure "best" ?

Regards
Doug

Honestly,

If you took 3 engines from day one and ran Royal Purple on one. Mobil 1 on the next, and Amsoil on the third. Did 10K oil changes...in the end of the life cycle of the three engines...very little mileage difference between the three would be seen when they finally wore out.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Honestly,

If you took 3 engines from day one and ran Royal Purple on one. Mobil 1 on the next, and Amsoil on the third. Did 10K oil changes...in the end of the life cycle of the three engines...very little mileage difference between the three would be seen when they finally wore out.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Honestly,

I agree.

Thank you. It only took five pages of posts.

Since you agree than there would be no appreciable difference in engine longevity regardless of which synthetic is used, the only possible claim left for Amsoil is longer oil change intervals.

For those of with in-warranty engines or who refuse to exceed 10,000 mile OCIs, there is no reason to opt for anything but Walmart 5 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 at about $4.40 per quart.

I'll stick with factory OCIs, $4,40 Mobil 1, and skip the UOAs.

Quote:
the only possible claim left for Amsoil is longer oil change intervals

In 2008, I think that is about right. This goes for M1 too. Synthetics #1 benefit is really only extended drain intervals. If one is troubled by M1's Fe wear, use PP then. Case closed.
grin2.gif

Naturally there are some qualifiers. But for the average Joe doing less than 10K oci, with an average Joe car with highway miles and changing the oil every six months, the engine will last about the same regardless if the synthetic is Amsoil, M1,Motul,PP, RLI, RL, RP, Schaeffer's,etc IMHO. Of course we ahve no evidence of this either and some oils actually may keep the engine cleaner, if you are into that!

Naturally there are some qualifiers. But for the average Joe doing less than 10K oci, with an average Joe car with highway miles and changing the oil every six months, the engine will last about the same regardless if the synthetic is Amsoil, M1,Motul,PP, RLI, RL, RP, Schaeffer's,etc IMHO. Of course we ahve no evidence of this either and some oils actually may keep the engine cleaner, if you are into that!

My name isn't Joe, my cars aren't named Joe, and neither I or my cars are average.

So, who is Amsoil recommened for? Are you implying that an Amsoil-filled engine in a non-average car will out last a Mobil 1 -filled engine in a non-average car, with or without a non-average driver? B.S.

Originally Posted By: STG
My name isn't Joe, my cars aren't named Joe, and neither I or my cars are average.

So, who is Amsoil recommened for? Are you implying that an Amsoil-filled engine in a non-average car will out last a Mobil 1 -filled engine in a non-average car, with or without a non-average driver? B.S.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying someone who races might want to look at Redline. Someone with a fuel dilute situation might want to select an oil with a very strong additive package such as RLI 5W-40. Someone who wants to save the ultimate amount of money might want to find the ultra rebate on PP. Someone who wants to see if they can get their iron wear very low might want to try Amsoil ACD 10W-30. Just some examples, that's all.

Originally Posted By: STG
So, who is Amsoil recommened for?
If you are seriously (vs. rhetorically) asking this I can say for somebody looking for a good stout oil for extended or even moderate OCI's that is a healthy compromise of some the factors above and other factors including purchase price.

This thread is ridiculous. I'm tired of Hillary Clinton, I mean Doug Hillary's negativity and lack of information. Pablo was being objective and providing his input. He does not hide the secret that he is an Amsoil dealer. I've used Amsoil for years but that doesn't mean Mobil 1 isn't a great oil. I used Mobil 1 0-40 in my BMW until Amsoil came out with their European car formula.

Threads are always going to be biased, let's quit the name calling.

I want to add one anecdotal observation that has recently come to my attention. I have a friend that is/was an Amsoil dealer and drives his 95 Dodge Cummins dually, hauling trailers and stuff cross country. He has always used the Amsoil AME 15W-40 oil in this truck since he bought it at 150k miles and it has well over 300k miles on the engine now. The engine has always used about 1 quart every 2000 miles, which seems a little high.

He got to his oil change time and was on the road and so had a shop put in Delvac 1 5W-40. He called me several weeks later just to tell me that his truck seems to like this oil and that his consumption had dropped to nill. Finally after about 10k miles he had to add 1 quart. Nothing else was changed except oil brand.

My point is that, even though his oil analysis always looked good with the Amsoil, for some odd reason, it just consumed the Amsoil, but not the Delvac 1. This makes the case for finding an oil that works for your engine and sticking with it. In this case the Mobil1 product seems to be more economical due to less consumption. I have seen the exact opposite dynamic with Amsoil, however.

Originally Posted By: jnyost
Threads are always going to be biased, let's quit the name calling.

LOL - that's rich.

Guys, I'm only new to the Forum but can we take the emotion out of this please.

Some things to consider:

1. If you sell or are involved with a particular product, you will always be suspected by some people as being "biased" towards that product in some way;
2. Pretty much all modern oils from reputable companies are high quality and will do the job;
3. Everyone has a personal preference for oil the same as they do for cars (Lexus and Porsche in my case for cars and AMSoil,M1 and PP for oil. For some reason I don't really like Castrol or Valvoline - no basis in fact whatsoever, just don't like their products);
4. YMMV whatever product that you use. Every vehicle, environment and driving style is different;
5. Forums are a place to hear and be heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back