Amsoil claims M1 is group IV and GC is Grp III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads like this IMO are a waste of so much time. As long as an oil works for an application,low wear rate etc,thats the main concern.

We can sit around all day and talk about if an oil is group I,II, or IV, but there's far more stuff to worry about in my opinion.

Quote:
SuperSyn, a proprietary patented technology of ExxonMobil, is a high-viscosity PAO typically used at low treat rates to balance the viscometrics, shear stability and low temperature properties of a lubricant.

I don't care what business it is, you are going to have people who bend the truth to their agenda. Name any product or profession, someone here will likely chime in with something negative to say about it. Its human nature.

Originally Posted By: Bob Woods
PAO is a polymer of condensed gases from the crude oil refining process, so in chemical jaqrgon it is a "synthesized" fluid, not just a super-refined crude oil. Molekule

Right, my point is that PAO is not some super weird chemical made in the lab its a petrochemical product.

Whilst Mola is more or less technically correct - that is a VAST oversimplification. I don't think anyone said production quantities of PAO are made in a lab, but it's a tad more than as simple as condensing (ethylene or other) gases. Yes it's a polymer of ethylene gas, but they don't just polymerize by accident. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyalphaolefin

You all are dodging the truth that M1 is PAO based.....

Not me, I use Mobil One because it is PAO based, I would feel better if the MSDS said what the percentage of PAO it contains. Or even better on the label. When I read statements like, "made with quality PAO base stocks" I wonder just how much is really in that bottle of oil I paid big bucks for.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Threads like this IMO are a waste of so much time. As long as an oil works for an application,low wear rate etc,thats the main concern.

Never have truer words been said. It's the performance that counts.

And of course I understand why it has not been menitoned, but I posted the results of another independent lab indicating that the same Mobil 1 as was GC'd as Group III was predominantly PAO.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back