Oilguard for a 7.3 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed an Oilguard bypass on a 2001 F-350 4x4 dually. I changed the oil and used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 15W-40. I just purchased the truck and after I learned the capacity was 15 quarts I had to save time and extend the oil life. The current mileage is 98K.

Last edited:
Did you buy the Oilguard direct from them? How do you like it? Any possibility of seeing what it looks like installed. Oh,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny, yes I bought it direct and it was easy to install once I had them send me a 5/16 adapter to take the return plug out. I followed their install instructions and tapped in near the existing filter. I installed the bypass on the frame rail under the passenger seat and had two 4 foot Hydraulic hose's made at a local Trico dealer. They are blue and black so I did not get the in and out confused.

One good thing about Oilguard filters is that you loose very little oil. Not so good is that the filters have gone up in price.

Yes I looked at all of the options. I had a Motor Guard on my 2003 Toyota Tundra and sold it when I got a good deal on the Ford. I wanted to try something different. I like the Oilguard and when it arrived I was surprised at how large the filter unit was. I have the EPS - 20 that they recommended. When I went to install it I did not pay attention and drained the oil and then could not get the 5/16 oil plug out. I road my bicycle to Sears and Napa and gave up and called Oilguard and they mailed me an adapter. I had to refill about 4 gallons of new oil because I had to go to work the next day. I installed the filer yesterday in the driveway and did not have any problems.

Last edited:
And the Oilguard is a good filter. Sounds like you had an adventure. Don't worry. Everyone has adventures of one kind or another.

I'll tell you about my last one. I use a Griot's Garage vacuum pump for oil changes and had it hooded up sucking out the engine oil. I forgot and left the line hooked up down the dip stick tube. I started to pour in the new oil. After a bit I looked at the vacuum pump and noticed that it had a lot more oil in it then usual and it took a few minutes to make the connection. I wasted two quarts of oil before the light went on.

Yes, I guess Ford did not want to make it easy to take the plug out. 5/16 square. I will take some pictures this weekend and find out how to post them on the forum. I will send in for an oil sample and find out what the base line for the start of the cleaning.

I had a devil of a time finding a 5/16" bit to fit the coolant drain plugs. I eventually took a piece of 5/16" square stock and welded it into an extra socket to make the tool.

I also have the Oil Guard by-pass. I like it, but the cost of the filters is ridiculous. You can tell they have a monopoly on the filter element!! I am running this bypass with an Amsoil EaO99 primary filter. The oil stayed a honey color right up to the 5K mark. At 10K I will send in a sample to see if it's time to change it yet or not.

BTW, I do not send my samples to Oil Guard. I have heard some bad things about how they do the analysis.

When I called Oilguard they told me that they used to provide the adapter with the kits but people did not use them. It is just a 5/16 piece of metal about one inch long. I told them to just put them in the box and it would have saved me some time. But it worked fine. I am going to send the oil sample to Blackstone.

Took some pictures but cannot find out how to post them to the forum. Any help? Tks

Thanks, I will see if they work. Also tks Gary I also need to change the diff lube. I will contact you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back