Transmission Fluid and Transmission Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaguar X 2.5L Auto. Jaguar says that the transmission is sealed for life!!?? I cant believe that. The x type has a weak transmission and have talked to many people that have had it fail around 50-60,000 miles. I have 62,000 and just wanted to try to prevent this from happening. Even though its "sealed for life" should I have it flushed and refilled with new fluid? What are all of your opinions on this? Thanks

The JF506E isn't weak. It just has a few solenoid problems that would give you symptoms of a catastrophic transmission failure. Otherwise, the unit is fairly durable and should last the normal 150k (or so) without any problems.

I don't remember exactly, but I think this is one of those "self contained" transmissions that does not have external cooler lines. All you can do is a drain and refill.

Originally Posted By: scubayachts
would you recommend a drain refill?

Up to you, really. Over on the VW boards, the "good" transmission seem to work fine on the lifetime fill. The transmissions usually last around 150k regardless of whether you change the fluid or not. This seems to apply to the ZF, 01M, and the Jatco units as far as I know.

I've seen many transmissions hit 300-400k with maintenance.
If you plan on driving that much, start a maintenance program now.
If you dispose of cars frequently, why bother?

All transmissions tend to be weak when abused and neglected. I can't change your driving conditions but I might be able to convince you to maintain it for less future problem.

Definitely flush this fluid out and learn how to perform regular future maintenance.

A UOA on this 60k lifetime fluid would be an eye opener.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I've seen many transmissions hit 300-400k with maintenance.
If you plan on driving that much, start a maintenance program now.
If you dispose of cars frequently, why bother?

All transmissions tend to be weak when abused and neglected. I can't change your driving conditions but I might be able to convince you to maintain it for less future problem.

Definitely flush this fluid out and learn how to perform regular future maintenance.

A UOA on this 60k lifetime fluid would be an eye opener.

Transmissions weren't designed to last 400k. Sure, some people may get that mileage out of them with regular maintenance but they are in the minority versus the majority. Owners who tow a 10,000 pound trailer on a daily basis or make constant 1-2 mile trips on hilly terrain (lots of shifting, condensation build-up from not getting fluid up to temp) are NOT going ot get 300-400k out of their units, PERIOD.

You need multiple UOAs in order for the data to mean anything, unless the unit is already failing. One UOA is near worthless.

No, you don't need multiple UOAs to draw a conclusion. One UOA tells a lot. I guess you need to learn how to read them and apply experience to the numbers provided.

The owner didn't say he was towing 10k pounds with this Jag, so whats the point other then trying to slam me every chance you get.

There are alternatives to the dealer fluid. I'm surprised Amsoil doesn't mention its own ATF here. Maxlife is an easy choice if you want to perform 30k flushes. The fancy OE fluid is only needed if you want to use it for a lifetime, whatever that means.

BTW, I've seen probably a dozen of these units fail for no reason with <100k(all on factory fill). Thats WEAK in my book!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
No, you don't need multiple UOAs to draw a conclusion. One UOA tells a lot. I guess you need to learn how to read them and apply experience to the numbers provided.

Maybe YOU need to learn how to read them. Why don't you show me your credentials that would prove to everyone that you are qualified to interpret these analysis reports.

Quote:
There are alternatives to the dealer fluid. I'm surprised Amsoil doesn't mention its own ATF here. Maxlife is an easy choice if you want to perform 30k flushes. The fancy OE fluid is only needed if you want to use it for a lifetime, whatever that means.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mercon-V fluid would work fine. The JF506E was also used in the Mazda MPV. Mazda recommended a Mercon fluid. However, a JF506E that you pull from a MPV looks nothing like the VW 09A unit for some reason. I think it also uses different rebuild kits.

Quote:
BTW, I've seen probably a dozen of these units fail for no reason with div>

Were these the early model 09As? There were a handful of these units that had solenoid problems that trick technicians into believing that the unit had a catastrophic failure. Are you sure that these units truly failed and it wasn't just a bad solenoid?

I would never power flush any transmission. I work in commercial insurance claims and I have seen several oil change places that performed "power flushes" and ruined perfeclty good transmissions. And we as the insurance company had to pay for another transmission.
The most recent one that comes to mind was on a Ford Taurus (I know, I know, already a weak transmission anyway; but I have seen it happen on other vehicles.)
I would only drain & refill my trans. Period. "Power Flushing" has been known to loosen things that should not be loosened and ruin a perfectly fine transmission. Just my 0.02.

Quote:
"Power Flushing" has been known to loosen things that should not be loosened and ruin a perfectly fine transmission.

There is typically a lack of filter servicing for power flushes, which becomes clogged with all the junk that is loosened.

Accord, the term "Power flush" is a misnomer. When done correctly, by an experienced tech, it will NOT cause any issues. Insurance claims are caused by incompetence at the shop.

Crit, Don't question my debug of a failed transmission. When parts are worn out or fused together, it is done. Does NOT make a difference if the solenoid caused the failure or not. And, I do agree that Mercon-V tends to work fine. I would simply not consider it a lifetime fill. 30k flushes with a non-OE fluid, or waiting for the unit to blow up on the lifetime factory fill, is for the owner to decide.

The real problem with flushing and flushing machines is that it requires skill, maintenance of the machine and knowledge of how it all works and what's to be expected when finished. Flushing is put in the hands of those that are barley capable of changing the oil. Their mechanical hygiene is just not there. On top of all that consumers are sold a solvent and it requires skill to use correctly. These solvents are really strong and never get completely flushed out. Go to a quick lube and watch them do a tranny flush.

One safe effective method is drain what you can and refill it and work it into your maintenance schedule. Maybe do it every 30k and if you have a known problem transmission do it every 15k. It's quick easy and not expensive.

we use a "flush" machine at the nissan dealership that i work at. the term "flush" is misleading. all this machine does is remove pretty much every ounce of old fluid while adding new fuid. works very well. we've had no issues with vehicles that we've used it on. i've used it on my wife's altima. running a cleaner thru tranny first is optional. most newer vehicles i don't recommend it. smells like varsol!! on older high mileage vehicles problems can always occur. especially vehicles with no maintennce history.

Originally Posted By: Titan
Barkerman, I love the term you used; mechanical hygiene. One of the best reasons for DIY, as too many "techs" have zero MH!
well this is one mechanic who has plenty of mechanical hygiene..............whatever the @@!!$## that is.......

Barkerman, I love the term you used; mechanical hygiene. One of the best reasons for DIY, as too many "techs" have zero MH!
.....and I have also seen lots of cars come in to our shop on the end of a hook because of DIY........

Originally Posted By: jduramax
.....and I have also seen lots of cars come in to our shop on the end of a hook because of DIY........

They call it Destroy It Yourself for a reason.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back