05 Chevy Colorado Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy just got an 05 colorado with the I5 engine and its time for an oil change. Im not sure what weight its supposed to take as I havent actually looked at it yet. I think, from the other engines, that it is supposed to get 5w-30.

Can anyone verify this, and what filter does it take? Is there an oversized filter available? Im going to recommend Purolator Pureone filters to him.

For the oil Im thinking Valvoline SynPower 5w-30. It seems to be BOGO every month or two at AAP.

The longest OCI its going to see is about 5500. I know synthetic is kind of overkill for this short interval, but I figure on BOGO te SynPower is about the same price as most dinos.

Any other recommendations for oil, and what arethe filter numbers?

Oh yeah, the engine currently has 35k on it

Look on the oil cap. If in doubt, follow that.

But in our climate, you could safely get away with 10-30 if you feel necessary.

An oversized filter....

I have no doubt the Delco PF-52 equiv would fit that engine. I forget the PureONE number for that. Just look up the PureONE for a n LT1 or a Vortec 4300. The filters on these newer Chevy engines REALLY seem undersized, it really makes me uneasy. As far as type, thats an excellent one, and my first suggestion by far.

As far as the oil...my judgment with it is "go big or go home", if you're gonna go dino, go good dino, synthetic? go big time, go M1, PP or Amsoil. Doesn't seem to be much point to falling somewhere in between.

The PF-52 doesn't fit, it is threaded different (13/16 instead of 18 mm metric). The filter on the 5-cylinder Colorado for '05 is fairly large (4" long, 3.5" diameter) for the size of the engine.

5W-30 is the oil for that engine, and the stock size filter should be good, get a PureONE PL25288 (that is what the Purolator catalog said and Baldwin's cross-reference spat out, and Baldwin didn't give a larger equivalent like they usually do.)

Purolator PureOne number is PL25288 (or just L25288 for Pure Plus).

Any SM ILSAC GF4 5W30. But yes, cheap synth is very nice.
thumbsup2.gif

I have an 07 colly and yes 5-30 is the correct weight, im still using syn power from there last BOGO, time to stock up again.

Your Colorado takes the AC Delco PF-61 or equivalent on other oil filter makes. 5W-30 is the correct oil weight. The engine is easy on oil use. Any name brand GF-3/4 SL/SM oil will do. Cranckcase needs 6 quarts 8 ounces to reach the full mark on the [censored], thin cable dipstick.

I drill a 1/4 hole on the bottom-side of the filter before unscrewing it. If you don't, be prepared for a mess and spots on your driveway for about a week afterwards. There is a suspension bar right below the filter. The genuises at GM decided to put two holes in that hollow suspension bar - right below the filter. There is a large oil channel above that vertical filter - on the engine block. Lots of oil is retained - so alot comes out at oil filter change.

I wish someone forewarned me - before I did the 1st oil change. I can see you saying Thank You - so Your Welcome!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back