Amsoil High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard any talk about Amsoil ever producing a HM oil? I'd consider using it if they made it. A super high TBN SL/GF-3/A3 rated 5w-30 HM oil capable of extended drains. That would be nice.

IMO, The only difference between a HM oil and regular oils is the thickness. Amsoil's old 0w-30 product used to be thicker than most 30wt products. That would make it a 'HM' product w/o the need to label it as such.

I'd rather see Amsoil avoid that type of oil personally. If you use synthetics, no need for a HM oil. M1 HM oils are very robust. Why not try them?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
IMO, The only difference between a HM oil and regular oils is the thickness.

Many more things than that.

I actually was thinking about the same question as well for the last week or so. The main reason IMO for a HM oil would be for leaks/seepage additive like in Maxlife or Mobil 1 HM. Plus, these are higher viscosity oils than their non HM couterparts, which would be better for HM vehicles, too. An SL level of additives would be welcome to me. I've tried the Mobil 1 HM and it works quite well, both 10W-30 and the 10W-40. I think Mobil has a winner there. OTOH, if it doesn't sell well, they'll be sure to discontinue it.

Amsoil makes an oil for everything automotive, it seems. The only manufacturer with more varieties might be Motul. At this point, a few more products should not make a difference. Amsoil may watch and see how Mobil's product does before they jump in there.

When the HM oils first hit the market, Amsoil did have a statement about how "gimicky" these oils are. I tend to agree, that some may be good oils, but the need to tell someone at some magic mileage (75K!) they need to go with a special oil is pure marketing fluff. My old Volvo turbo had over 250,000 miles with no leaks….how did it ever make it without HM oil? The new Volvo has 115K+, I better switch quick!

Again - the oils may be smart and fine oils, the hook is not needed.

Yes the 75,000 mile part is pure bogus. I just like the HM mainly for the slightly thicker visco, seal conditioners, and possibly more robust add pack.

Well, over the past 30 years, most of the cars I've first put AMSOIL into have had about 100,000 miles on them.
Maybe the regular AMSOIL is both high-mileage and extended drain??? And good for low mileage cars too? And if someone wants to drain the oil every 3,000 miles, that's fine. Builds sales.

Could just add some Auto Rx to Amsoils XL line and pretty much create your own Amsoil high mileage.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
to tell someone at some magic mileage (75K!)

I had the chance to discuss this 75k issue with the Valvoline Marketing Mgr after he had left the company several years ago. Apparently, the Marketing People wanted 50k on the label to sell more but the President of the Co. wanted 100k because he considered 100k to be the point of "high mileage" in the US consumers mind. A huge argument ensued and it was decided that 75k would be the compromise.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Pablo
to tell someone at some magic mileage (75K!)

I had the chance to discuss this 75k issue with the Valvoline Marketing Mgr after he had left the company several years ago. Apparently, the Marketing People wanted 50k on the label to sell more but the President of the Co. wanted 100k because he considered 100k to be the point of "high mileage" in the US consumers mind. A huge argument ensued and it was decided that 75k would be the compromise.

That doesn't shock me if that is true

Last edited:
Without getting into an argument of whether oils clean or not, or whether synthetics cause leaks or not. There was a recommended use of XL oils a few years ago (it was in one of the Action News magazines).

Amsoil was recommending for customers with higher mileage engines to use the XL oils for the first couple of OCIs as there was "less solvency" when cleaning so it would clean slower and recondition the seals so they wouldn't leak.

That may be where the dealer determined that the XL oils were Amsoil's response to the high mileage oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back