Mopar cold air intake kit-Is it worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Jeep with the Hemi and MDS.I was thinking(just thinking)of installing a Mopar/K&N cold air intake system.There are others out there but if I get the Mopar/K&N system and let my great friends at Jeep install the system they(Jeep)can't deny a warrenty claim.My question is are these systems worth the extra $250-350 to install?
I heard that the 5.7 liter Hemi does not work well with a cold air system.Thanks Joe

no matter what "they" say, I'd check the owners manual.my owners manual specifically prohibits the use of an oil soaked filter,its an 01 ford taurus.

Originally Posted By: Dually
My question is are these systems worth the extra $250-350 to install?

Nope, unless you do a [censored] ton of wide open runs down a track all the time. Spend that $ for something else on that Jeep.

Do it if you like the sound. Otherwise, the performance difference is minimal, and if you don't care for your filter correctly you can ingest more oil in the engine, increasing wear, or you can gunk up the MAF sensor.

Have dyno tested a lot of intake systems on otherwise stock engines and have never seen more than a blip of an increase on any product and that always at the upper rpm ranges. If you have other mods that have increased the VE of the engine in a significant way, then an intake system is money better spent. In that case, it's more about adding something to not LOSE power than it is to gain power. I'd spend my money on the other end, the exhaust. 1) Exhaust system (headers back) 2) chip/programmer, 3) Intake mods.

Not even close to worth the money, it is not going to offer a performance gain at all. I could be wrong but isn't the stock airbox a CAI? Take a look at the airbox, it probably gets air from the cold fender well like most cars and the CAI kit gets air from lower down in the fenderwell which only serves to increase your chances of hydrolock or getting the paper filter wet making it useless.

Last edited:
If you do get it, go with the AEM Dryflow filter instead of a K&N. It is better in every way and it does not need oiled, just washed periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back